• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Footwear of choice?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I deliver water for a local company. 5 gallon jugs. So I regularly push a cart weighing 7-800 pounds around, many many times throughout the day. In my heaviest day I push about 3800 lbs of water around and do 23k steps. I’ve tried many different types of work sneakers. Work shoes. Etc. I finally bought a pair of boots.

but that got me thinking. For those on your feet all day. What’s your preferred foot wear that doesn’t just crumble in 3 months? And doesn’t hurt your feet after a long day.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You are correct to use boots, with that load you want good ankle support.
I'm in the process myself and stuck between LOWA (European brand, my pair was made in Slovakia, at the foot of the Alps) and Timberland which altho much easier to choose and get, it still a tough choice for me, my boots get worn

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You are correct to use boots, with that load you want good ankle support.
I'm in the process myself and stuck between LOWA (European brand, my pair was made in Slovakia, at the foot of the Alps) and Timberland which altho much easier to choose and get, it still a tough choice for me, my boots get worn
I tried a few pairs of boots in the past without much success. I don’t like having my ankles restricted. But I’m wearing out the part where the ball of my foot pushes off. I’ve been through about 6 pairs of shoes this year. I had my eyes on a set of brunt boots. But I ended up purchasing a set of keen soft toes.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Combat boots at work, because I have no choice. When off work, most times it is a quality mid height hiking boot. Something designed for people who are their feet all day while carrying a load. When it gets too hot for those, and I'm not dealing with something that requires a boot, it is a closed toe sport sandal. Something with a decent tread (not easy to find).

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
depends on what i am doing.

oilfield....concrete...dirtbikes...wheelin...especially winter

roofing....framing.....welding.....rebuilding trucks....riding dirtbikes or yamaharley.....mowing grass......hiking....river rafting....wheeling...napping on the couch....napping while fishing....fishing....shooting.....chasing butterflies....

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There are different levels of boots, 6 inch, 8 inch etc, maybe you'd be comfortable in a 6, but either way you need ankle support to work with loads

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I wear ankle high boots (not the real tall boots). My favorite for several years were Keen brand. Light and durable. Our vendor stopped carrying them for some reason. So I switched to Timberlands and really like them. The other day, I decided to visit the shoe truck (local vendor parks a truck at our gate once a week) and he was out of stock on the Timberlands. I picked up a pair of Pumas. They're very light and feel decent. But I've only worn them 2 days, so far.

In my 42 year career, I have struggled to get a year out of a pair of boots, up until I started wearing the Keens. Those and the Timberlands have been excellent. I am in 12hr shifts in an automobile manufacturing plant. I easily walk anywhere from 8-15 miles per day including a lot of steps. Our building is 1/4 mile long, 4 floors, 96 steps from ground floor to penthouse level, all concrete and steel floors.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
depends on what i am doing.

oilfield....concrete...dirtbikes...wheelin...especially winter

roofing....framing.....welding.....rebuilding trucks....riding dirtbikes or yamaharley.....mowing grass......hiking....river rafting....wheeling...napping on the couch....napping while fishing....fishing....shooting.....chasing butterflies....

Oh, Bobby. Those boots. Ouch. I have a similar pair for when I have to work in sludge water. No comfort there. I feel bad for your poor, poor feet.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I wear ankle high boots (not the real tall boots). My favorite for several years were Keen brand. Light and durable. Our vendor stopped carrying them for some reason. So I switched to Timberlands and really like them. The other day, I decided to visit the shoe truck (local vendor parks a truck at our gate once a week) and he was out of stock on the Timberlands. I picked up a pair of Pumas. They're very light and feel decent. But I've only worn them 2 days, so far.

In my 42 year career, I have struggled to get a year out of a pair of boots, up until I started wearing the Keens. Those and the Timberlands have been excellent. I am in 12hr shifts in an automobile manufacturing plant. I easily walk anywhere from 8-15 miles per day including a lot of steps. Our building is 1/4 mile long, 4 floors, 96 steps from ground floor to penthouse level, all concrete and steel floors.
I like the Timberland Pros but they are getting harder to find. I might try the local shoe store and see what they can get. Danner has been a disappointment on a couple of different boots (one set had the side of the boot blow out after only a year, others I've tried in the store had the arch support in the wrong place). I've never tried Keen.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Oh, Bobby. Those boots. Ouch. I have a similar pair for when I have to work in sludge water. No comfort there. I feel bad for your poor, poor feet.

actually.....its my back.

going back to zero support and flat foot wear.....and sleeping on the ground is why i am still ambulatory.

yup. can be miserrable. since 14 hours is a normal day.... but turns out most of us are not supposed to walk totally supported by the bad ass superboots i used to wear.

better off bare foot.

and my feet cant go bare...they are way too pussified and tender.

just glad to be still able to work and walk.

and extremely glad i figured out how to heal myself enough to stay out of a wheelchair.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How many of yall get yours shipped? I must be at least a hundred miles of any place that has boots fit to wear

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
thats another just depends......wife buys bags of those deck shoes off the internets cause i fawk them right up......

certain areas of the country i can walk in and buy boots.....hard to get those particular units in 14 in stock anywhere... so right now i have some in the mail as i tore a set of em open....i have three pair and change em out constantly so they dont get nasty and use boot dryers. so its always a rotation.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I never thought shoes were a big deal, obviously sports or dress shoes matter, and I do need safety boots for construction sites

But just got the cheaper versions of all, I am thrifty and not cheap like my wife says, lol
Anyway my 40 years or so of cheap sneakers came back to bite me in the ass a few months back, Plantar fasciitis
Couldn't walk for 2 days, and barely moving after 3 days, painfully
Left foot is very bad, right foot marginal, and it was fairly sudden
Foot Doctor said get shoes with arch support for daily wear
And get arch support inserts for shoes you only wear once in awhile

I got a pair of Skecher brand runners(sneakers) with arch support, what a difference, still hurts a bit but Doc said it would take about a year to go away, its heel pain

Point is whatever you get make sure it has arch support, or any shoe you wear daily

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I like the Timberland Pros but they are getting harder to find. I might try the local shoe store and see what they can get. Danner has been a disappointment on a couple of different boots (one set had the side of the boot blow out after only a year, others I've tried in the store had the arch support in the wrong place). I've never tried Keen.
I have tried many of the popular brands over the years. Red Wing, wolverine, Michelin, Caterpillar, Lehigh and more. For a Long time, I just went to Walmart because their shoes were cheaper and lasted just as long as the big name brands.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
I never thought shoes were a big deal, obviously sports or dress shoes matter, and I do need safety boots for construction sites

But just got the cheaper versions of all, I am thrifty and not cheap like my wife says, lol
Anyway my 40 years or so of cheap sneakers came back to bite me in the ass a few months back, Plantar fasciitis
Couldn't walk for 2 days, and barely moving after 3 days, painfully
Left foot is very bad, right foot marginal, and it was fairly sudden
Foot Doctor said get shoes with arch support for daily wear
And get arch support inserts for shoes you only wear once in awhile

I got a pair of Skecher brand runners(sneakers) with arch support, what a difference, still hurts a bit but Doc said it would take about a year to go away, its heel pain

Point is whatever you get make sure it has arch support, or any shoe you wear daily

yup.....i get that too. well...have that....its why i hobble a bit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals