• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fix or Replace 4.0 (Donor Vehicles?)

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
if the rust is just light surface rust and there is no pitting or scoring at all (if you can catch a fingernail on it, it is too deep) and you can verify that you have either a cylinder head or head gasket failure, I'd clean up the surface rust, a fine scotchbrite hand pad and some wd40 should make quick work of it.

I never recommend using a scotchbrite cookie on anything cylinder head related, you can take off a couple thousandths of material in the blink of an eye and really ruin your day. Scraping with a razor blade held in your hand and following up with a wipe down with brake parts cleaner on a rag should be sufficient, discoloration on the sealing surface of the cylinder head and block won't be an issue as long as you have removed all remaining gasket traces and debris.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Lifter Gasket?

Thanks for that response. I will go ahead and clean it up and make a determination.

It appears that the lifter is missing a "cup" in the picture. Anything special about that one? I found something close by that may have been jarred loose in the disassembly that is a hard rubber cone shape but it does not fit like the others appear to. That is the top of cylinder 6 closest to the driver.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
as far as I am aware you can run the lifter without it, I have had a couple missing on a couple 4.0s I have repaired before and there seemed to be no ill effects from leaving them off. Just make sure that you fully seat the push rod when you reinstall it and you should be fine.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Cracked Heads BOTH!!

After a closer visual inspection, visible cracks can be seen in 4 of the 6 cylinders between the valves. Both heads are junk.

My options at this point are an engine replacement or picking up good heads. I plan on hitting the scrap yard tomorrow to look into either of those.

For heads I understand that I need to find a donor vehicle with good compression 98-2000 to take advantage of the change in head design that my 99 had.

For replacement engines, I will search for a 90s Explorer or Ranger with engine code X, prefer 97 or later to get a compatible crank for my flywheel.

My truck is a 99 with California emissions and no EGR. Just wanted to double check that any of the engine code X engines will work with this if I swap my intake manifold and possibly exhaust manifold. Or at least move the EGR plug to the new manifold.

Thanks to everyone for getting me this far.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals