• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Exhaust Decisions..

apmurphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm in the process of laying out a new exhaust design for the truck. Right now i have the 4.0 running a $20 CherryBomb glasspack bolted onto the scrawny 2in. pipe that came on the truck.. It's alright but sounds like a ricer to me. So i want to upgrade to new headers, high flow cat(s), and Super 44(s). I need help deciding how to lay it out- true dual or merge to the muffler and dual exit? True dual would keep the sides seperate- 2 cats, 2 mufflers; and the merge/split would connect right after the headers into one cat and one dual exit muffler. Anyone know what would sound better or what would be better performance-wise? I pretty much want it as loud as possible but dont' want to take away any power. I was also concerned about using one cat if it would compromise the emissions. I think there's like 3 on there now which is a bit rediculous but yeah, thanks.

93_RangerSC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well if yall dont get tested for emisions where you live just dont put cats. i have true dual super 40's and no cats sounds perdy good IMO perdy loud to

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
his truck is post OBDII, meaning he has a cat efficiency monitor. removing the cat converters will trip a check engine light. not to mention, tampering with original emissions equipment is against federal law and is punishable by a hefty fine.

murphy: there isnt much you can do to the system to increase performance. you factory exhaust is already tuned and sufficient for your engines needs. even headers are going to have a very minimal effect since your factory manifolds are sort of a manifold/header hybrid and they flow decently.

running true duel exhaust is going to be difficult with the post-cat. sensor...since there is only one. if you do run true duals, you need to run an equalizer ("H" or "X" pipe) to avoid killing your bottom end power. you might be able to place the post-cat O2 in the equalizer pipe.

im not a big fan of split dual exhaust. it adds the weight, cost, and complexity of true duals, but it sounds the same as single pipe. you'll also get that "smoke out of one pipe" thing on cold days.

if you run true duals, i wouldnt go over 2" pipe. for single/split: 2.5" pipe.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Wicked---I did the fake duals---put a splitter behind the new cat(you convinced me about the cat)--ran straight right&left pipes around the spare tire & added harley d. chrome m ufflers(pic.s in "just plain stupied)---sounds just like a '60's 289c.i. engine....who'da thought

ghost_rader

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
if you run true duals and are looking for performance, the two pipes need to be exactly the same(same length, same bends, same everything) that tends to be hard with a gas tank in the way. That being said, plus what wicked said is mostly true. I built custom exhausts for just over 8 years and if you want to go all out, you can. for the performance and drivability, i would do headers with a y-pipe into a single high flo cat(keep all O2 sensors in the correct locations pre and post cat.) then split it with a single in dual out muffler. (good ones have the proper flow dirverters to make it smoke out of both tips). i would stay with 2" to 2.5" pipe going into the muffler. you can come out after that with any size you want, the back pressure is already achieved pre muffler.

if your going to do this your self, talk to a muffler shop and ask them what cat they suggest to replace your factory one so that your ses light won't come on for a cat efficiency code and make your truck run like crap.

hope this helps

apmurphy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
hey thanks all for the info, k think i might just do the catback with a single in/dual out muffler and maybe 3 in tips or something. damn computers in vehicles...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals