• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ever tracked down an old vehicle?

Musick17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I was wondering if anyone here had tried to track down a vehicle they previously owned?

Ive begun following the paper trail on my 2000 xlt. Dont know why I sold the thing, has a ton of sentimental value to me. Anyways...

I sold it to a kid.
He traded it to a dealer.
They sent it to a dealer in Mississippi.... and I'm from Illinois.
So next step is call the dealer in Mississippi, who knows how long this could go on...

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i bet half of us would find our vehicles would of meet a tragic end. i have had one previous other ranger and i know were it is and i can get it, if i had the money to ship it here. as for other vehicles in the family, i cant say, we had an olds shillouette that was stolen 2x and finaly torched, years ago. an old toyota pick-up that eventually ended up on a peanut farm in mexico and was running last time we talked to the guy it was sold too before we moved. an old dodge van with a /6 that probly met its end in a chopshop after it had passed through a few more short time owners, a 95 f-150, 300/5spd with 500k miles that was sold and a few months later stolen and never seen again. a 4runner with an engine problem that was sold and sat for a while at the new owners curb, rumor was it was fixed and given to a relative. an 82 chevy truck with a 292 that was abandoned somewere in nevada, running too, after my dad got realy pissed off at it finaly and just left it there, someone probly came by and took it for parts... the 2 current trucks he has are still running and will probly end up on concrete blocks on my field when they are done for.. the hyundai and dodge stratus my sister and brother inlaw have will probly be used as targets when there useless, not much usable/worth saving on them anyways..

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I was wondering if anyone here had tried to track down a vehicle they previously owned?

Ive begun following the paper trail on my 2000 xlt. Dont know why I sold the thing, has a ton of sentimental value to me. Anyways...

I sold it to a kid.
He traded it to a dealer.
They sent it to a dealer in Mississippi.... and I'm from Illinois.
So next step is call the dealer in Mississippi, who knows how long this could go on...
well at least the truck came down south. :D
where in MS is the dealer?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The second car I owned, a '68 Torino, I found in a farmers field when I was 19. I bought it for a $100.00 and fixed a busted piston in the 351c. I ran it for a few years with a bunch of different motors, the favorite being a 429/auto. I sold it body only with no interior for $100.00. I tracked it down 8 years later and bought it back for $150.00 in the same shape I sold it for. It took me a couple of weeks to find it.

Richard

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
The second car I owned, a '68 Torino, I found in a farmers field when I was 19. I bought it for a $100.00 and fixed a busted piston in the 351c. I ran it for a few years with a bunch of different motors, the favorite being a 429/auto. I sold it body only with no interior for $100.00. I tracked it down 8 years later and bought it back for $150.00 in the same shape I sold it for. It took me a couple of weeks to find it.

Richard
Nice!

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I actually printed a page for my bronco II it goes something like this: PLEASE KEEP WITH REGISTRATION AND INSURANCE. If and when this Bronco II is ready to be sent to the scrapyard or is totaled please try your best to contact me at ( name address yada yada yada)i will match the scrapyards price plus $50 and come haul it away. PLEASE DO NOT THROW AWAY. I keep two of these in my truck one in the glovebox and one under the carpet in the rear cargo area. I know i will have to part with my dear old bronco II at some point but i really would like to keep it but thats not possible so this is my solution my first car when totaled will hopefully come back to me at a time when i will be able to buy it. Kinda dumb but i know when im 40 ill be reminiscing with my buddies and think damn i wish i had that old heap back so thats my solution to that.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
First ranger I sold is still driving around town. Blue 5 speed F150 I had...not a clue. Sold it to some college kid that lives hours away. And my '07 F150 I traded in for my current truck. Was on the lot for a few months but not anymore. I can only assume they sold it or moved to out to auction to make room for new shit.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Done this before. I sold several of my cars and trucks and have seen a few of them later on the road, at a drag strip or while wheeling. Some still looked great. I sold my 68 'Cuda back in '84 to a guy I knew. Last summer at Lakeland Dragstrip I saw my 'Cuda. You always know your old ride. I asked the guy and he said he bought it from his uncle....who I sold it to. I had that car for 10 years. Small world.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Kid I sold my old Ranger to totaled it less than a week l after he bought it.lol. I imagine my old diesel Rabbit is torn down somewhere with a junk head and fried rings. I saw my old Honda a few weeks back, and it sure looked rough. Was burning oil real bad with a sketchy looking 16 year old behind the wheel.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
I had to reverse-engine-eer a title search once.....I bought a 1941 truck that my friend restored...but the state wouldn't put it in my name because of a mess-up in the previous paperwork....imagine that. it took nearly a year for me to track down the history of the truck to prove that i legally aquired it in order to get a new title....here goes----originally owned by a man in Kansas-----later sold to a man in California----then sold to a man in Texas---then abandoned----then collected by an auction company---then bought by the son of the owner of the auction company----then sold to a man in Loo-z-anna---then sold to my friend for 5 years---then sold to me for 12 years---then sold to a 15 year old kid in 1990 as a project who hot-rodded it and still has it.......

whew!!!!!!!

jhammel85

These bum me out....All but one met an untimely death or are currently MIA. Proabably junked...damn consumerism!

My 85 Iroc - Z was purchased then promptly wrecked on the way home! He restored the car and sold it for a lot of money...Figures....

My MINT 97 ford probe (5 Speed) was junked at 200k by my brother in law when the TIMING BELT WENT That's it...on a non-interference engine to boot. It was a pretty car but definitely fell down hill once I sold it to them for cheap. I thought about saving it but I had no means to. It was a shame but it was reliable transportation for them at least.
It just sat there for a month in my parent's driveway waiting for the junkyard to come get it,Basically on death row. Everytime I stopped in, there it was staring at me. That was the car that made me love Ford / Mazda so much. I grew up in a few Fords but that one really stuck on me.

At times, I feel like I need another ford that is more "family friendly" or newer but I know how much i would regret of selling my old trusty Ranger. I'd love a 5sp focus but I just can't do it. No way.

Afterall, I want it to be my project one day. It already kind of is my little project. I need to make a build thread.

Last edited:

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Alla mine were hauled off for scrap metal. I buy a car. If I like the make and model, I will buy another. Now I have parts car, that is out in back of the shop for parts. I've done this with VW bugs, a '66 Valiant, and 5 Jeep Grand Wags , and my current DDs a pair of '88 528es with a parts car for each. Last summer. I scrapped 3 Grand Wags, and 4 528es . It paid for our airfare to Ireland

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I only have two former vehicles that are no longer in my possesion.

One I sold knowing full well it was getting crushed. I would have kept and fixed it but it was too far gone.

The other is with Wrecking Crew last I checked. That truck was bought for parts though, no real attachment to it.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
We had a 97 Contour and drove it til about 200k. My brother sold it to a guy looking for something that simply ran.

A few months later the man contacted my brother and sent him photos. The car was dressed like a UK cop car with blue lights and the checkered striping and had just completed the Big Apple to the Big Easy race! Probably the best end we could have hoped for.

The other was my very first car, my 89 Ford Mustang LX 5.0. I bought it from a guy being sent overseas back in 2005 for $1800. I sold it to another guy for $2400 who did some serious work to it and offered it back to me later for $3000. Unfortunately I couldn't afford it =(

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Only sold one, 1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo. 190hp 2.0 turbo, fwd 5-speed... absolute riot to drive and never got less than 20mpg, usually it was bumping 30.

Sold it when I got my '150, a month later it had the front smashed in from what looked like rear ending a pickup. The dink had a "system" that was shaking the poor car apart. A couple months later I heard of a black '90 Laser turbo being parted out the next town over (6mi away) on the radio... never saw another black '90 in my area.

From now on, when I want it gone, I want it gone. I don't want to watch them die a slow painful death anymore... especially the two I have now. I am way to attached to my Ranger, and my '150 is getting there too.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals