• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EV accidents

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Anyone who's read my posts knows I'm not an EV fan. The power grid won't handle charging them in big numbers, the range shrinks dramatically in cold weather, and optimistically, the battery will last 10 years before the vehicle turns into lawn art.
I talked to an old customer who retired from the fire department yesterday at a car show. I asked if he knew how many first responders had been killed at accidents involving electric vehicles, he said there had been some but didn't know how many. He then told me some of the people in the wrecked cars had been electrocuted after high voltage surged through the vehicle. Isn't it funny that's never been mentioned by the media- they just stress the "savings" by not having to change the oil, and forget to mention the cost of replacing the battery and the potential hazards in a wreck. Gas powered cars can burn, too, but it's exceedingly rare- except in movies.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The problem with electric vehicle fires is that they are self-sustaining (they do not need a supply of air to keep going), and it is nearly impossible to put enough water on them to cool them enough to get the fire out. That is why you see a melted blob on the road after electric vehicle fires. And it doesn't take an accident to cause these fires. Another Tesla randomly caught fire this week just driving down the road.

The other thing about electric vehicles that Walt didn't mention is that the manufacturing of the battery is harder on the environment than driving a regular gas vehicle for 20 years. So these people who think they are saving the planet by driving an electric vehicle are deluding themselves.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The problem with electric vehicle fires is that they are self-sustaining (they do not need a supply of air to keep going), and it is nearly impossible to put enough water on them to cool them enough to get the fire out. That is why you see a melted blob on the road after electric vehicle fires. And it doesn't take an accident to cause these fires. Another Tesla randomly caught fire this week just driving down the road.

The other thing about electric vehicles that Walt didn't mention is that the manufacturing of the battery is harder on the environment than driving a regular gas vehicle for 20 years. So these people who think they are saving the planet by driving an electric vehicle are deluding themselves.
Right, they aren't "zero emissions", the emissions are just moved to where ever power is generated. I'd much rather see more research done on hydrogen fuel cells. Self important hypocrites like Al Gore, John Kerry, and Elon Musk could stop flying around in private jets, too.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are like three trouble codes they can throw, the solution is to push them out of the shop and store them away from anything.

Don't worry about calling Ford, your laptop did it automatically when it smelled the code.

Stellantis is wanting us to put in level 3 chargers. Cool couple hundred grand side venture in a town of 6k with approximately 0 electric cars.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Thats the issue with this "green" push in general...

They never, ever mention the huge sacrifices in quality of life, conveience, safety, and comfort its going to take on thr part of the general population to reach those goals.

If they did say that part, no one would support it and those pushing it would be quickly voted out.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
For my purposes, I think an EV’s negatives outweigh any positives they may provide.

Between the issues that aircraft and cell phones have had with lithium batteries, the potential bad things happening and have happened, isn’t worth it. Especially when you consider how much larger the battery pack is in an EV.

I agree that the environmental impact is just moved to a different location. Great for a high population area, maybe as far as the air quality in that location but the pollution is still being generated and where the materials being mined and processed is being devastated.

To me, an EV is a zero sum game at best compared to an ICE vehicle. The studies put out there show that long term, the EV is less hazardous but I also think not all factors are being considered or some are being omitted to make the EV look better.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
the vehicle turns into lawn art.
Do you understand how many of these things I am going to buy up and torch as soon as they're at scrap value?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
2.9l swap them.
No sir. Doing my part to make sure there's a shortage of used parts.

Plus the YouTube ratings will be killer.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure you are looking at the whole picture and how technology changes as time goes by

How many Horses "burst into flame", I am guessing none, yet ICE(gasoline and alcohol) vehicles came into popular use
Fire departments adapted
There were no "gas station", then there were
Not enough gas, and then there was
Had to drain the water out of engines everyday in cold climates before anti-freeze was developed
Over the years Safety glass and seat belts, and then airbags were added to slow the carnage of our "need for speed"

In 1910 only 2% of US had electricity, 1920, 35%, 1925 50%, but that's in cities mostly
Same for "gas stations", most were in the cities so very hard to do cross country driving, had to plan those trips

Point is, if you base judgments on today's technology then you will be wrong most of the time
Yes, 3D TV/movies technology was a disappointment :) so not wrong about that
Will power grid be updated, of course, how?, have to wait and see
Will there be more electricity available, of course, how?, have to wait and see
Will batteries get better, of course, how?, have to wait and see

Things are rarely "invented" when there is no need, i.e. "necessity is the mother of invention"
Post-it notes were the exception to the rule, lol
So the electric cars and hybrids now are old technology, made of things that currently work but they will not be the same in 5 years, 10 years, ect......
Technology is not stagnate, with the exception of death and taxes, whats here today will not be here tomorrow

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Not sure you are looking at the whole picture and how technology changes as time goes by

How many Horses "burst into flame", I am guessing none, yet ICE(gasoline and alcohol) vehicles came into popular use
Fire departments adapted
There were no "gas station", then there were
Not enough gas, and then there was
Had to drain the water out of engines everyday in cold climates before anti-freeze was developed
Over the years Safety glass and seat belts, and then airbags were added so slow the carnage of our "need for speed"

In 1910 only 2% of US had electricity, 1920, 35%, 1925 50%, but that's in cities mostly
Same for "gas stations", most were in the cities so very hard to do cross country driving, had to plan those trips

Point is, if you base judgments on today's technology then you will be wrong most of the time
Yes, 3D TV/movies technology was a disappointment :) so not wrong about that
Will power grid be updated, of course, how?, have to wait and see
Will there be more electricity available, of course, how?, have to wait and see
Will batteries get better, of course, how?, have to wait and see

Things are rarely "invented" when there is no need, i.e. "necessity is the mother of invention"
Post-it notes were the exception to the rule, lol
So the electric cars and hybrids now are old technology, made of things that currently work but they will not be the same in 5 years, 10 years, ect......
Technology is not stagnate, with the exception of death and taxes, whats here today will not be here tomorrow
Disagree.

Male testosterone levels are falling off a cliff.

This directly correlates with "safety" features and electric vehicles.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Disagree.

Graph it with age...
Male age against testosterone levels...

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Graph it with age...
Well, yeah, falls off over time. But there's a lot of study showing that men in their 20s now thave the same T levels as men in their 60s 100 years ago.

Tons of factors from diet and lifestyle to environmental, blah blah blah.

My point is that as soon as they put airbags and seat belts in cars, and invented "safety" razors, men's test levels imploded.

Ima take the airbags outta my truck and see if I get a boost.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Graph it with age...

Average amount of facial hair by vehicle type or something lol.

There's actually been some studies done on testosterone/vehicle/facial hair growth already.. I heard about it a little over a decade ago. Super simple methods..

Participants were clean shaven and then given some super hot sports car to drive for a month or whatever... at the end of the month they shaved their faces and all the facial hair was weighed on a scale.

Next month they drove some econo-box or something like that.. and again with the facial hair weighing at the end..

Iirc, pretty much everyone grew an appreciable amount more facial hair the month they drove the sports car around.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Disagree.

Guys still restore Mopars, how does that fit in to low testosterone levels :)

And berate safety features in vehicles, speed limters and electric vehicles

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals