• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electrical gremlins

kevabar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have been having intermitent starting problems on my 95 2.3 5spd. When I turned the key this morning, all of the idiot lights got extremely dim and I heard a few clicks but it wouldn't start. Also, I heard a door chime which is odd because my door chimer never worked for the last 2 years since i've owned the ruck.

Anyway, used another car to jump it. Battery was reading ~9V. It still would not gain enough power to start, so I pop started it.

It started fine and then I noticed the battery light barely flickering and the truck had a tiny stutter. I turned the headlight switch "on" and the truck almost stalls and the batt light comes on strong. I quick flick of the headlight sqitch to "off" and the truck goes back to a tiny sputter and barely visible batt light. I throw the headlight switch "on" again but this time a friend throws the volt meter on and says it is down around 4V. The engine cut out. A few turns of the key (dim idots lights, not starting) and then all of a sudden truck starts fine- runs smooth, no batt light. Volt meter says alterntor is 14.58 to 14.60V to the batt- which i believe is good? Drive 2 hours home no problems- runs smooth, not batt light.

At home, shut off truck and it starts will a little difficulty. Batt light is barely on again. If I turn on the hazard switch, the batt light come on strong for a second and then goes back to being dim. Same with turning the headlight switch- little stutter and dim batt light. And also that unknow chime came on when ever the idot lights were on dimly.

Shut off truck and turn key... idot lights really dim and truck won't start again.

I changed the batt clamps a few weeks back and clean up the terminals.

Any ideas about the flickering batt light, unknown chime and volt meter readings? Any specific known gremlins to look for?

95rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It sounds to me that your alternator is taking a crap and your battery has dead cells.I would have the alternator checked out and the battery checked.. Also you may want to check out your Battery cables. make sure there isnt any corrosion inside the cable itself. Good luck..

Donnie strickland

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any specific known gremlins to look for?
I had this problem on my 94. My negative battery cable was shot.

If indeed this turns out to be your problem, get the Ford cable(s). They cost more, but they're the best. They have all the correct plugs, of which there are several.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
im gona say this if its intermittent there are multiple causes. the alternator brushe's, the cables, corossion, plugs, lock cyle, ignition switch, dash lights.

if you wana get crazy you could have a dendritic growth on a plated ciruit board causing copper worm tracks to bridge and leach energy towards eachother causing dull lights to glow.....

or just check your cables and make sure there good. if it acts up tap on the alt and see if it gets better. it may have a sticking alternator.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals