• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Electric fans

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
WoW!

While I hate to argue this point, you do realize you are entirely incorrect. This has been proven on extreme 4x4 very recently...
SVT
And if Extreme 4x4 found the opposite about lectric fans? How long would they be in business???
Them shows and magazines are PIMPING PRODUCTS and nothing more! If they actually told the TRUTH they would be out of business.
ALL the products they test are given to them for advertising! Not to mention how much money comes with the products.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
E-fans are so unreliable and overhyped that they have been coming standard on F-150's since the 2009 model year.

I wouldn't switch my truck to them unless I had to, but there is nothing really wrong with them.

But really the only real reasons to retrofit are engine swaps where clearance is tight and if you do a lot of water crossings. If it isn't broke, the factory setup should be fine for keeping you factory engine cool.

Last edited:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
This is like deja-vu..

Will an efan cool an RBV just fine? Yes
Are there any noticeable performance or efficiency gains in switching to efan? No

Bam. Discussion over.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not argueing

You are obviously not an engineer! Due to this, you have no idea on how to calculate failure rates.

If e-fans were as reliable as mechanical fan/clutch assemblies, you would not find articles like these:

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/aa032903g.htm

http://www.caradvice.com.au/1733/volvo-xc90-and-xc70-electric-cooling-fan-recall/

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1272431.html?page=2

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=55

...more information, see if you can comprehend:

Cooling Capacity:

By far, the most common misconception is that the electric fan cools better then the stock. People see the high CFM numbers in the catalogues (for example, the Black Magic is advertised as pulling 2,800 CFM, and the Perma Cool "finger chopper" is advertised at 2,950 CFM) and are impressed. The truth is that no one actually knows the CFM rating of the stock fan. It has simply never been measured by anyone in the aftermarket and listed. All we do know is that it is rated at "a lot", more times than not it will exceed 4000 CFM. And to be honest, who cares how much air the stock fan moves? It is more then adaquate as long as it's clutch and the rest of the cooling system is in good shape. The steeply raked blades of the stock fan move quite a lot of air, even if it turns slower then an aftermarket electric unit. Experience has shown that when in good shape, the stock fan is even easily capable of handling a 400HP engine. How much power do you make?

Efficiency:

Of course, you're not necessarily after better cooling. You've seen those TV commercials or catalogue ads that promise "Up to 17 free HP!" by converting to an electric fan. Well, that's simply not true. There will be a horsepower gain for sure, on the order of 0.5 - 5HP, with 17 H.P. reserved for big V-8s using 40 lb fans at 6000 rpms. But remember that the electric power to run the fan must come from somewhere, and that somewhere is the alternator. Electric fans draw quite a lot of current. Most pull surges of 35A or more to start up, then run at 8A-10A. This puts extra load on the alternator. Ever pedaled a bicycle with a generator powered light? If so, then you will know that as the electrical load on a generator/alternator increases, the generator/alternator becomes harder to turn. Suddenly, all that "free" HP you just freed up is once again being used. This time, though, it is being used to turn the alternator. There is also an inefficiency in the whole system. We are converting mechanical energy, to electrical energy, to mechanical again to run the fan. This very inefficient, much less then just driving the fan directly via the mechanical energy of the rotating shaft

Reliability:

Lastly, there is the question of reliability. The stock clutch fan can have two failure modes: the clutch will fail, or the fan will physically break. The electric fan introduces many more failure points: fuse, all wiring connections, physical failure of the fan, failure of the motor, failure of the thermostat

And to answer your last question, I know better than to buy an e-fan!!!!!
Bob I do positively agree with you...
That said, I have a 1/2 ton chevy and a 3/4 ton chevy. The half ton has the milage estimate sticker on the window. It comes with a lectric fan. The 3/4 ton is exempt from that damn milage thing and it came with a mechanical fan.
So I think there is a way to squeeze some milage out of a lectric fan for TESTING purposes. Perhaps the test is so sort that the extended charging required by the lectric fan doesn't come into play? I do NOT know why it is done thataway.
As far as actual milage from an owners standpoint: The bigger engined, much heavier 3/4 ton pickup gets about 1 MILE PER GALLON less milage than the smaller truck.
So driving over a distance, using both trucks the 3/4 ton will use one or two more gallons of fuel when both are filled up.
It's worth every penny when the trucks are compared.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

oldfordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Dang, i love a good discussion. Here's my 2 cents. Had a 91 S-10 with the 2.8 L v-6. General street duty. When the truck was 5 years old, with 75K miles, I installed an electric fan, went with the largest one that would fit inside the stock shroud. Ran it off a manual switch, to a relay, connected to the battery. I'm kinda anal about my vehicles, so I keep track of maintainance and every gas fillup. So I can definetly say that the e-fan gave me 1-1.5 more mpg on the highway, but no difference around town. These were numbers over dozens of fillups, not just a one time measurement. The engine revved a bit easier, had a bit more power, but not a lot. Last year, I sold my 19 year old truck with 250K miles on it, with the same fan and relay setup. And the same water pump. SO- Bottom line- Reliability is a yes if you buy a quality unit. Cooling capacity can be OK, but will not flow as much air as the stock mechanical, so keep the mechanical if you push things like off-roading or towing. Power and mpg gains are real, but not huge. Remember, that stock fan is turning a bit all the time. If you are driving over 25-30 mph, you don't even need a fan. That's where the e-fan helps. I once commuted to work for 3 months with no fan, just as a test.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Big Jim--Have you ever tested or installed an Electric fan on a vehicle?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm running a cheap 16" Hayden fan that moves about 2000 cfm and have zero cooling issues, even while towing in 100 degree heat with the A/C on. The fan doesn't kick on 5 months out of the year. I made brackets and attached the fan to the stock fan shroud--looks stock from a glance.

E-fans are a great mod.
You forgot to mention you gained 10MPG, while running 90MPH!! :D:D:D:D:D

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
The truck did pick up about 1mpg on average, as well as a slight, but noticeable increase in power. Money well spent.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The truck did pick up about 1mpg on average, as well as a slight, but noticeable increase in power. Money well spent.
Have you ever heard of the "placebo effect"?

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Yes, but this is not the case. With all due respect, I'm not going to try to prove to you my results, I know what the effect were/are from 1st hand experience. If you are going to try to insult my intelligence or tell me that the MPG gains are in my head, then I will no longer reply to your posts on given subjects.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, for that is not my intent.

Jeremiah

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, but this is not the case. With all due respect, I'm not going to try to prove to you my results, I know what the effect were/are from 1st hand experience. If you are going to try to insult my intelligence or tell me that the MPG gains are in my head, then I will no longer reply to your posts on given subjects.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, for that is not my intent.

Jeremiah

Well my intent is to keep false information from being posted, which misleads youngsters that don't have the technical background to recognize useless mods. Not only
does an e-fan fall into this category, extensive engine damage can result from overheating.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Well my intent is to keep false information from being posted, which misleads youngsters that don't have the technical background to recognize useless mods. Not only
does an e-fan fall into this category, extensive engine damage can result from overheating.
well your not doing a very good job.

the only truth is extensive engine damage can result from overheating

do you know what a fx2 is? how about the power output of a modern 5.4?

do you know what this is.....

http://www.autopartsfair.com/ford-usedparts/f_150-2010-cooling_fan_assembly.html

just a bunch of bullshit i would bet.....i bet they make those so all the trucks blow up in 10000 miles and people come back and buy new ones.

dont get me wrong, your theory is sound for damn sure....

but reality....

well.

reality

...is what it is.

you need to test theory....usually when you test shit...you find out reality....

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
and i certainly agree wrong application of theory does not make the theory wrong....just the applicator.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Nobody mentions the function that an e-fan can play in an off-road situation.

-Stock fan is always running, go do a water crossing up to the bottom of your doors, water gets throw every where inside the engine bay causing belt squeal, possible electrical shorts and distributor shorts.
-Electric fan, if it's not on turn it off with a bypass switch to prevent it from coming on, cross the water, water will cool the truck if needed just watch the gauge, no water thrown every where. Won't end up stalling half way through like I've done because of a wet distributor.

-Going through deep mud? Same idea, my stock fan died because of mud, and also killed my water pump, and tensioner pulley.
-Electric fan, doesn't throw mud onto engine because of over ride switch. Also allows mud to drip off engine, instead of the old fan drying it up before it has the chance to drip.

-Stock fan ran all the time
-E-fan, only kicks on while idling.

-Stock fan, had to remove fan to remove shroud to clean radiator.
-E-fan open enough to give me plenty of room to clean radiator.

Froggmann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0FFV
Transmission
Manual
Big Jim--Have you ever tested or installed an Electric fan on a vehicle?

What about an underdrive pulley? Have you tested either one of these items?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals