• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EDIT: FORSCAN IS WORKING New Key for my '03 Mazda B3000, ForScan no longer accessible? Is a bypass an option?

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Howdy folks,

I'm looking to get an extra key made for my 03 B3000 since when I bought it it only came with one.

I can find suitable keys, and a place to cut them no problem. The trouble is getting the transponder programmed.

The local Ford Dealership is quoting 300$ just to program a new key, no cutting included. Whack. So I found out that many folks were able to program their own keys for a decent amount less using this guide in the tech library. Trouble is it appears that most of those links are dead, and any links to ForScan I've been able to find on google aren't much help either.

I obviously don't want to order the related scan tool and key until I know I can do it for sure, anyone have some experience with this? I'm open to bypassing the anti-theft altogether if it isn't too much trouble, since I'll be installing a hidden kill switch regardless.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
forscan should still be available. my son has the full version and i have to lite version on my phone. google forscan isntead of hitting the links and it should be easy to find a working download

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Honestly the hardest part may be finding a locksmith that will cut your key for you without requiring that you buy the key from them and have it programmed on site.

I'll try to find current forscan links and suggest an OBD2 port adapter. Didn't realize until your post that all those links were dead.

Edit - has anyone reading this thread used the Forscan website recently? Not sure if it's just down at the moment or if it's no longer in action. I haven't needed to do anything with Forscan in a few years.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Honestly the hardest part may be finding a locksmith that will cut your key for you without requiring that you buy the key from them and have it programmed on site.

I'll try to find current forscan links and suggest an OBD2 port adapter. Didn't realize until your post that all those links were dead.

Edit - has anyone reading this thread used the Forscan website recently? Not sure if it's just down at the moment or if it's no longer in action. I haven't needed to do anything with Forscan in a few years.
Much appreciated! For reference I am in Canada, and would prefer not to get nailed for shipping/import duties when ordering a obd2 port adapter.

It seems I may be the first to remark that ForScan is dead? At least on this forum. Your help is much appreciated!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Much appreciated! For reference I am in Canada, and would prefer not to get nailed for shipping/import duties when ordering a obd2 port adapter.

It seems I may be the first to remark that ForScan is dead? At least on this forum. Your help is much appreciated!
Honestly the question doesn't seem to come up that often. And I was wrong about the website not working, looks like it's just blocked from work. I can get to it on my phone. Sounds like superj can point you in the right direction for an adapter. Can you order from Amazon without dealing with import issues?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Other than the Amazon page for the adapter, what dead links did you run into?

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Honestly the question doesn't seem to come up that often. And I was wrong about the website not working, looks like it's just blocked from work. I can get to it on my phone. Sounds like superj can point you in the right direction for an adapter. Can you order from Amazon without dealing with import issues?
Other than the Amazon page for the adapter, what dead links did you run into?
It appears there are scanners available on amazon that I can look into.

As for the site being down, gosh this is kinda embarrassing, I'm currently posting from a workplace networked computer, I just tried accessing it from my phone off network and sure enough. It worked!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It appears there are scanners available on amazon that I can look into.

As for the site being down, gosh this is kinda embarrassing, I'm currently posting from a workplace networked computer, I just tried accessing it from my phone off network and sure enough. It worked!
No worries - I ran into the same thing at first. Since it just timed out rather than throwing the typical site blocked error I didn't realize what had happened.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Am I the only one who thinks "ForScan" is a very unfortunate name? What genius at Ford thought of using a name that sounds a lot like "foreskin"? :LOL:

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Am I the only one who thinks "ForScan" is a very unfortunate name? What genius at Ford thought of using a name that sounds a lot like "foreskin"? :LOL:

Man I've been giggling about it to myself all day.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's not an official product, so my guess was always that it was an intentional joke.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any locksmith can Clone your current key so no programming required

PATS uses an RFID Tag embedded in the handle of the key, no batteries required
RFID Tags can be made with a number encoded on to them when they are made or left blank with no number
They look like this: https://tritonstore.com.au/wp-content/uploads/components-of-an-rfid-tag.jpg
But way smaller, lol

PATS has a powered antenna ring around the key slot(transceiver)
With key on that antenna sends out an RF burst
RFID tag's antenna uses that burst as power, and sends out its unique number in reply
PATS antenna sends that to the PATS module/software
The number is compared to pre-programmed numbers and if a Match is found then THEFT light goes off and you can start engine
If no match then THEFT light starts to flash rapidly and no start

A Clone key with the same, already programmed, number is the SAME KEY as far as PATS is concerned
Its not a copy so in some way "diminished", it's the same process that an RFID tag goes thru at the factory or in a locksmith's shop

Locksmith uses an RFID tag reader, like PATS does, but gets the number from the working key to hold in memory, like PATS does during Programming mode
Locksmith then Writes that number to a Blank RFID tag in a new key, the same as was done at the RFID tag factory
Locksmith then Cuts the new key to match the old key for the Lock part

Locksmith will have Blank PATS keys, call around, see who has the best deal for Clones
Literally takes less time to Clone the key than to cut the key

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Definitely not dead. Just downloaded latest version from the website last night.

It does look like they might have updated the site a little though, that would be the first time in a while. I don't recall the like for the subscription (enhanced version) working the list time I was there. IIRC everyone was using the free trials repeatedly and there was a donation link. Could be wrong about that though, until now I never had much interest in, or need for, the paid version.

FWIW I have and use the recommended OBDLink EX.

It's not an official product, so my guess was always that it was an intentional joke.
I don't know about that. I think the joke is purely English language, but I suspect the program may have originated in Russia. That is my best guess as to why that simple of a page has an option to switch language to Russian.

I think it was a simply a catchy combination of Ford and Scan, but the immature part of our minds make the association.

Any locksmith can Clone your current key so no programming required
True, but having the second key as a cloned key looses certain capabilities that are available to the owner without special tooling. Namely the ability to program another extra key without paying a locksmith to do it.

If I only had one key, I'd much rather the locksmith program me a new key (vs a clone) so I can program a third myself. Can't do that if you only have clones.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals