• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
From what I see in the pic the green wire from the duraspark module is going to the chassis ground. The green wire from the module 4 wire connector goes to the neg terminal on the coil not to chassis ground. What green wire do you have wired to the neg post on the coil if it is chassis ground that is why the coil is getting so hot disconnect the black wire to the coil and put the green from the 4 wire connector for the dizzy there. maybe it is still good but the connector towards the firewall is the coil - and toward the radiator is the coil + with the connector pointing toward the engine.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah, I didn't notice that green wire before - that one definitely needs to be on the negative side of the coil...

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
From what I see in the pic the green wire from the duraspark module is going to the chassis ground. The green wire from the module 4 wire connector goes to the neg terminal on the coil not to chassis ground. What green wire do you have wired to the neg post on the coil if it is chassis ground that is why the coil is getting so hot disconnect the black wire to the coil and put the green from the 4 wire connector for the dizzy there. maybe it is still good but the connector towards the firewall is the coil - and toward the radiator is the coil + with the connector pointing toward the engine.
The garren wire is going to the (-) on the coil. There is two green wires comming off the wire harnes. One goes to the (-) on the coil the other goes to the tach. The one that looks like it's going to ground is just hanging therem it's not hooked up to the tach yet.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Oh man ok listen the green ones to the harness or tach do not connect them to anything yet the green wire from the duraspark module that is not hooked to anything is the wire that makes it spark. Hook it to the neg on the coil and nothing else for now. You can set up the tach later for now get it running.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I looked all thru my schematics and cant find another green wire anywhere and also looked under my hood your problem is with the neg on the coil and if the wire you have connected is ground you are charging the coil similar to a capacitor that is why your getting high volts the neg on the coil is for the trigger when you have the key on put a spark plug in the coil wire to the dizzy center terminal and set it on a good ground with nothing on the neg terminal of the coil take a jumper wire and quickly touch the neg terminal to ground the plug should fire brite blue. If it sparks connect the green wire from the module to the neg terminal and crank the engine the plug should fire a steady blue spark. wa la then all you need to do is time it. With the timing light ready have someone crank it while you look at the marks if you cant see it switch it to the different plug wires until you can see your marks trace that wire up to the dizzy use that post for #1 and set the firing order from there clockwise 1-4-2-5-3-6 and it should fire up. If your anal like me you will already have it right with it on TDC on the compression stroke and the rotor at 11 oclock so #1 plug is on the #1 on the cap.

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Oh man ok listen the green ones to the harness or tach do not connect them to anything yet the green wire from the duraspark module that is not hooked to anything is the wire that makes it spark. Hook it to the neg on the coil and nothing else for now. You can set up the tach later for now get it running.
I don't know what pics your looking at but the green wire is coming form the duraspark box. The green wire from the Duraspark box is the only wire I have connected to the (-) on the coil. I don't understand what your looking at.

Last edited:

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I didn't notice that green wire before - that one definitely needs to be on the negative side of the coil...
The green wire is on the (-) side of the coil. I put black tape on it so I would remember that it goes to the (-) side. The green wire that looks like it's connected to the old coil mount is not connected to anything it's just hanging there. It will go to the tach. :beer:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
By the way nice clean job on the wiring and If you fried the coil just put the stock coil on it and see if the module is still good also I dont think that would have damaged it also IDK.
when i had mine wired jacked up it fried 2 ignition boxes and the stock coil

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
ok man, i got the green wire comming from your duraspark plug grounded to the coil bracket, take that off and actually put it on the tach side(-) of the coil, u dont need a grounding wire the only thing u need to splice is the following:

12v key on, key run power to the positive side of the coil, and the green wire from the module going to the negative side of the coil. no grounding needed as your mounting bracket is doing the grounding

it looks like u have the red going to the bat(+) side, which is right. whats the black wire going to?

EDIT: looking at it again it looks like u might have the black wire going from the duraspark box to the disty grounded, is that what the black wire is? those wires are supposed to be connected the body of the disty grounds it out

is your plug wire on good? my stock coil wire wouldnt go onto my cannister style coil, i had to buy one from autozone with a socket end on the coil. was about 5 bux and they had different lengths and sizes

Last edited:

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
ok man, i got the green wire comming from your duraspark plug grounded to the coil bracket, take that off and actually put it on the tach side(-) of the coil, u dont need a grounding wire the only thing u need to splice is the following:

12v key on, key run power to the positive side of the coil, and the green wire from the module going to the negative side of the coil. no grounding needed as your mounting bracket is doing the grounding

it looks like u have the red going to the bat(+) side, which is right. whats the black wire going to?

EDIT: looking at it again it looks like u might have the black wire going from the duraspark box to the disty grounded, is that what the black wire is? those wires are supposed to be connected the body of the disty grounds it out

is your plug wire on good? my stock coil wire wouldnt go onto my cannister style coil, i had to buy one from autozone with a socket end on the coil. was about 5 bux and they had different lengths and sizes
Once again. The black wire is the green wire. I put tape on it so I would remember that it goes to the (-) side of the coil (I took the tape off just for you). Every thing including the coil, wires, plugs, dizzy, cap, rotor is new. Like just got it in from Jegs/AutoZone the day of the pic. If you go read the tech wright up on the Duraspark 2.8, I did everything like it says. Word for word. the only thing I could have mess up is the 12v hot splice. I posted a pic of that just in case I spliced the wrong wire. It's a red with light green strip.

Attachments

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
looking at the plug, u have to green wires comming off(from disty to box) is that right? are the wires matched up right in the plug? like does the orange go to orange, purple to purple etc? looks like everything is wired up right. u can take your module off and go to advance and they can test it for u. does it turn over but not spark? check the resistance of the coil and match it to specs. also is your disty to coil wire fully seated into the coil, like all the way in. stock ranger/bronco II coil wire will not work, it is made to go on a nipple on the tfi coil, and wont reach far enough into the coil

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If the other green wire is hooked up to anything disconnect it and cap it otherwise everything else looks right. One of the components has to be bad if your getting voltage to the coil and module. Call me 206-909-3308 Kim

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Might be a dumb question, but dont you have to have a spark plug wire plugged into the coil, even if you are running the canister style?

SR185

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
stock 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
Might be a dumb question, but dont you have to have a spark plug wire plugged into the coil, even if you are running the canister style?
Yes, you have to have a wire running from the coil to the center pole on the dizzy

nightmare_82282

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
looking at the plug, u have to green wires comming off(from disty to box) is that right? are the wires matched up right in the plug? like does the orange go to orange, purple to purple etc? looks like everything is wired up right. u can take your module off and go to advance and they can test it for u. does it turn over but not spark? check the resistance of the coil and match it to specs. also is your disty to coil wire fully seated into the coil, like all the way in. stock ranger/bronco II coil wire will not work, it is made to go on a nipple on the tfi coil, and wont reach far enough into the coil
It turns over but no spark. I got a coil wire off my other car that's made for that kinda coil. Could it be the volt reg?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals