• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DRW rear axle swap to srw on a Rbv ????

86_4x4beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
anyone got info on the "swap-ability" of a full size dually rear axle onto a gen 1 ranger ? i would NOT run duals if i swap it . i was just thinkin that the dually rear axles have a shorter wms to wms then a regular SRW full size axle . so in theroy it should adapt to a ranger with just moving the spring purches on the drw axle to match to the rangers leafs , depending on total length on the axle .
i just think itd be bad ass to have a d60 or d70 or 14 bolt full floating axle on a ranger that weighs nothing ...... itd be alot harder to break then the stock rbv axle . and i know the drw axles are heavy but i like the strength it would provide and they are only $80 at the local wreckin yard , alot cheeper then having a srw full size axle shorted and moded to fit . any brain storming is welcome . thanks .

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Are you having a problem with the rear axle you have now?

86_4x4beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
nothing wrong with the stock axle now except its very weak and has over 230,xxx miles on it . i will be adding 35s or bigger tires and a lift Atleast 6in over stock or more .
i really want to make it as close to indestructable as possible and i can get a drw axle for cheep . IM Not going to run Dual rear wheels . i just want to use the axle its self and run a single wheel on each side and have the strength of a full size axle without having to shorten it , hence - using a drw axle since its already shorter to acomidate dual wheels on a full size pickup .so it should be adaptable to a ranger ...... any one have measurements of differint dualy axles , wms to wms? and spring perch to spring perch ? any info would help .

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
For 35" tires I wouldn't use a 14BFF... Maybe if you're going at least 38"... An 8.8" will be fine with 35" tires... A 14BFF is a GIANT thing to be drug (which it will be with 35's) along the ground...

BTW - a DRW axle isn't any narrower than a SRW axle...

86_4x4beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
damn ..... that burst my bubble ... i thought drw axles were shorter to fit the 2 tires on each side . :annoyed: if the big ass stock drw drums and backing plates are changed over to srw brakes it still would be the same width as a srw axle ???? :dunno:
my goal is i will be making this truck as tough as nails with the least amount of cash out lay . i do all my own labor and im a certified welder and will be making my own lift spring brackets and i can fab up and mod things as need be . but before i start i want to get my junk yard parts list right before i buy somthing and then find out im screwed . so if you guys got other ideas on axle selection on somthing stronger then a stock axle or an 8.8 then im all open . thanks .

Last edited:

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
damn ..... that burst my bubble ... i thought drw axles were shorter to fit the 2 tires on each side . :annoyed: if the big ass stock drw drums and backing plates are changed over to srw brakes it still would be the same width as a srw axle ???? :dunno:
You don't have to change out brakes, just the hubs, from DRW to SRW, but technically a DRW axle is wider than a SRW axle...

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
my goal is i will be making this truck as tough as nails with the least amount of cash out lay . i do all my own labor and im a certified welder and will be making my own lift spring brackets and i can fab up and mod things as need be . but before i start i want to get my junk yard parts list right before i buy somthing and then find out im screwed . so if you guys got other ideas on axle selection on somthing stronger then a stock axle or an 8.8 then im all open . thanks .
If you're running 35's, an 8.8" (which is stronger than you think, stronger than a 28spl 9") and a D44 will be perfect... If you wan to step up to 38's I'd go to D60's and anything above 38's then I'd swap in a 14BFF...

86_4x4beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i might go full width since 35s will be the smallest tire i will run , maby 38's or bigger if i can find some good deals at the swap meet .

86_4x4beater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok so i will be running 38's for sure ! since 35's dont offer that much ground clearance on a full size axle , another 1.5in that the 38's have over the 35's might be a life saver on the rocks .. and anything bigger then 38's would make street driving more difficult and jonny law loves to ticket taller vehicals ... ill run full width 1 ton axles front and rear and ill start measuring things up tommarow to see exactly how much lift i need . thanks for the input guys .

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals