• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Door lock cylinder re-key(able) without key?

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I hope this is the correct forum for this...

I have one key for my 94. It only works in the ignition. I believe the doors are original still so it must have had the ignition swapped out at some point but they were too lazy to re-key OR keep the old key (that worked in the door locks presumably).

I've seen conflicting info online. Is it possible to pull the cylinder and adjust the key pins without the key that works for it? I assume a real lock smith would be able to do this, but I thought i would ask here before going through the hassle to remove the lock cylinder.

other thoughts:
- get ford to cut a new key based on VIN (and then re-key the ignition)
- replace door lock cylinders and then re-key the ignition

my power windows and locks don't function in either door so wait on the above until i grab door guts from a manual window/lock truck.

it certainly seems like it would be easier to re-key the ignition cylinder vs the doors, but would appreciate your feedback on my conundrum.

cheers!

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Buying new would probably be the best route. But if you wanted to experiment with it, you might be able to get something to work. I have taken the cylinders apart on older vehicles, but not a 94. I was able to take them apart, and they had numbers on each individual brass piece inside the cylinder. They were in a sequence.

I then figured out what sequence the ignition lock cylinder had. Both the ignition lock cylinder and the door cylinders I had did have some of the same brass pieces. So I used what I had and copied the sequence of the ignition lock. If I did not have a certain brass piece (I can't think what they call those things) I would leave that spot empty.

It worked great. Leaving empty spots means more keys out there will match your door lock, but they say locks are for honest people anyway.

Here are some new ones. https://www.amazon.com/Door-Lock-Cylinder-Ranger-1993-1994/dp/B0CGWNXCCL Most of my Ford cars and trucks did have a separate key for the doors.

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Buying new would probably be the best route. But if you wanted to experiment with it, you might be able to get something to work. I have taken the cylinders apart on older vehicles, but not a 94. I was able to take them apart, and they had numbers on each individual brass piece inside the cylinder. They were in a sequence.

I then figured out what sequence the ignition lock cylinder had. Both the ignition lock cylinder and the door cylinders I had did have some of the same brass pieces. So I used what I had and copied the sequence of the ignition lock. If I did not have a certain brass piece (I can't think what they call those things) I would leave that spot empty.

It worked great. Leaving empty spots means more keys out there will match your door lock, but they say locks are for honest people anyway.

Here are some new ones. https://www.amazon.com/Door-Lock-Cylinder-Ranger-1993-1994/dp/B0CGWNXCCL Most of my Ford cars and trucks did have a separate key for the doors.
Brilliant! I didn't even think about only using a partial amount of pins. That's a slick way of making due with what you have.

My ignition key is pretty wore out, I might replace that and then pull one of the door locks to match it to. Sounds like I will have to pull two of them either way though.
Thanks for the info!

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I haven't tried an ignition, but the door cylinders are exactly as franklin2 describes. BTW the pins are usually referred to as tumblers. Not sure how accurate that is though.

I bought a set or newer lock cylinders and rekeyed them to fit my ignition key. So I only have the original door key for the glove box lock. I used a few of the longer pins and a file to make some the right length. The brass cuts quick. Took me a couple hours to change both ne cylinders.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
The little brass parts are also called "wafers".

The last ignition switch that I replaced, in a '94 Explorer, I went to all of the local parts stores and asked if I could look at their replacement cylinders that they had in stock. All you have to do is compare your key, with the key of the new lock. I found one lock that had almost had all of the same wafer numbers (= depth of the cut) as my old switch as mine, just in a different order. I bought that one and just took it apart and rearranged the wafers so that they fit my key, and not the one that came with the cylinder.

I also skipped one wafer, but I ended up with a new lock that matched my existing keys, with the doors and glovebox still working like they should. In the end run, it was the easiest, most cost-effective way of getting my locks sorted out.

2016-09-24 s - Copy.JPG

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I haven't tried an ignition, but the door cylinders are exactly as franklin2 describes. BTW the pins are usually referred to as tumblers. Not sure how accurate that is though.

I bought a set or newer lock cylinders and rekeyed them to fit my ignition key. So I only have the original door key for the glove box lock. I used a few of the longer pins and a file to make some the right length. The brass cuts quick. Took me a couple hours to change both ne cylinders.
Thanks for the feedback. I feel like my key is pretty worn down. I'm currently deciding between:
1. replacing the ignition and door locks all at once with new parts
2. replacing the ignition and attempting to re-code the door locks myself
3. re-code new ignition to match existing, get locksmith to cut a new key and hope that new key will also work in the existing door locks (the thought being that the existing key is too worn to work in the (in theory) original door locks)

Here is a picture of my key. does it seem excessively worn out to you?

Attachments

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking through the owner's guide and noticed that the key i posted above doesn't quite look like the right key..

Are there enough key cuts on it?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Your best bet is to price out your options.

The truck I bought didn't have working key for the doors, and the ignition switch was worn and flaky. I pulled a door lock cylinder, took it to a locksmith I found by calling around. He cut me 4 new keys which worked the doors, and the ignition switch. Then I went to the parts stores and found a new ignition cylinder which closest matched mine, and rearranged the wafers to work with my new keys.

I was looking through the owner's guide and noticed that the key i posted above doesn't quite look like the right key..

Are there enough key cuts on it?
That doesn't look right; it looks like a worn ignition-only key. Will it work the doors?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I'm sure the Lockpick Lawyer can do it. He debunks and picks all kids of stuff on the youtube.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Thanks for the feedback. I feel like my key is pretty worn down. I'm currently deciding between:
1. replacing the ignition and door locks all at once with new parts
2. replacing the ignition and attempting to re-code the door locks myself
3. re-code new ignition to match existing, get locksmith to cut a new key and hope that new key will also work in the existing door locks (the thought being that the existing key is too worn to work in the (in theory) original door locks)

Here is a picture of my key. does it seem excessively worn out to you?
New ignition lock cylinder; note the key cuts.

2016-09-24 a - Copy.JPG

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Your best bet is to price out your options.

The truck I bought didn't have working key for the doors, and the ignition switch was worn and flaky. I pulled a door lock cylinder, took it to a locksmith I found by calling around. He cut me 4 new keys which worked the doors, and the ignition switch. Then I went to the parts stores and found a new ignition cylinder which closest matched mine, and rearranged the wafers to work with my new keys.

That doesn't look right; it looks like a worn ignition-only key. Will it work the doors?
IT in fact does NOT work in the doors at all. I wouldn't have even noticed if you all hadn't told me about the amount of ridges/cuts.

Regarding your locksmith experience, i thought that the door cylinders had a different pin/wafer count than the ignition? either way, i guess i could grab one of the door cylinders, and the current ignition cylinder and find a lock smith to do the same. Thank you for the additional explanation here!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Regarding your locksmith experience, i thought that the door cylinders had a different pin/wafer count than the ignition?
When I bought the truck it had had the ignition cylinder changed at some point in the past (apparently, like yours, too). So I pulled a door cylinder and took it to a locksmith, who "read" the door lock, and cut me 4 new keys which would work the doors and work the ignition. The ignition cylinder was functional but well worn, so I bought a new cylinder which I then rearranged the wafers so that it worked with my 4 new keys. All in it was less than 30 bucks.

A lot of these old trucks seem to have an ignition cylinder replaced at some point in the past.

Look at it this way- the ignition cylinder sees the most use, the driver door cylinder the next most use, distantly followed by the passenger cylinder, and then the glovebox lock might have never been used.

You might just consider a new 3-piece set of lock cylinders with keys, if the glovebox is not a big deal. That may be the cheapest / easiest to get all of your locks sorted out (excepting the glovebox).

jballard81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Got my new ignition cylinder and pulled one of the existing door cylinder locks (that i don't have a key for). Spent 30 minutes calling the 3 brick and mortar locksmiths that i would consider a reasonable distance away. Come to find out at least these 3 weren't interested or didn't work on car locks 'that old', which is just another way of saying they didn't want to.

Checking reviews on them, they seem to exclusively do emergency door lock openings. to the tune of 80-150 a pop. So it makes sense that they wouldn't want to mess around with my old stuff. I ruled out all the mobile locksmiths assuming it wouldn't be worth their time either.

So i got new cylinders from Amazon coming in tomorrow for $15. i can deal with 2 keys :cool:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Come to find out at least these 3 weren't interested or didn't work on car locks 'that old', which is just another way of saying they didn't want to.
Sad. Good service is as hard to find as a good 5 cent cigar these days.

At least you'll get the truck to where you're good with it, on your own, and you know a little more about your truck to boot.

So it's a win. (y)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals