• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do 3.0 Rangers have dirty injector problems?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I had the exact thing happen on an explorer. My bet is the camshaft or crankshaft sensors. The PCM needs good input from them to fire up. Both more than often fail intermittently. I will almost guarantee this will fix it.
The crankshaft sensor is needed to start and run, the camshaft sensor isn't.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had the exact thing happen on an explorer. My bet is the camshaft or crankshaft sensors. The PCM needs good input from them to fire up. Both more than often fail intermittently. I will almost guarantee this will fix it.
Mr. smart guy, answer me this. For two weeks I was having a hell of a time getting my truck started, sometimes to the point of killing the battery, but once running it ran great like always. A week ago I added some fuel injection cleaner to my fuel, and it has started first turn of the key ever since.

How does adding fuel injection cleaner to the fuel relate in any way to the two sensors you point out? Really interested in the answer to this question.

And since, once running it runs perfectly and smoothly, the same two sensors you point out cannot be causing any problems. And, once again, no Check engine Light, no latent codes.

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I understand your theory about the injectors and you are most likly correct but and I might have missed this in the thread but have you ever done a fuel pressure test.both when it runs well and when it will not start and has your fuel filter been changed

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I understand your theory about the injectors and you are most likly correct but and I might have missed this in the thread but have you ever done a fuel pressure test.both when it runs well and when it will not start and has your fuel filter been changed
YES!

62 psi key-on, engine-off.
64 psi engine running.

Required pressure in both cases is 56 to 72 psi.

Since the fuel pressure regulator is tank mounted, if the fuel filter is plugged, it will result in a low pressure reading. Therefore since my pressure is mid-range of required, my filter is good. Oh and its about 1.5 years old and around 30,000 miles.

I currently have the fuel pressure gauge semi-permanently mounted, with the overflow tube into a sealed container. This way I can check the pressure every single time something untoward happens.

But since dousing the fuel with injector cleaner I have not had one single problem. It starts first turn of the key every time, rather than killing the battery with little or no results.

I don't know how accurate the Ford mechanic was when he told me that injector cleaner will not clean this condition. He said none of the systems used by shops to professionally clean them would work. He said that the thing needs 6 new injectors, at a cost of $80.00 per injector. And he may be right, because when these episodes have happened in the past, usually after three of four tanks without cleaner, the symptoms re-appear.

For now though, I am going to buy a one gallon can of Berrymans and Marvel Mystery Oil. MMO is a naptha based lubricant (naptha being a mild solvent) that I have used for years in my carburated motorcycles. I have never had any problems with plugged jets on my bikes, even after sitting for 6 months during the winter. If I can get the injectors relatively clean, then adding some MMO to the tank everytime consistently may keep them clean.

Just an experiment you understand. But if it works for my bikes, it oughta work for my truck.

Last edited:

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That presure is the same when it is running good and running bad it is 62/64. I would think the running presure should be the same or lower than the key on preasure. And no codes right?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That presure is the same when it is running good and running bad it is 62/64. I would think the running presure should be the same or lower than the key on preasure. And no codes right?
The Haynes manual I have does not assign priority for one being higher or lower than the other. That is true of 97 and older Rangers, which should have lower running pressure due to the FPR being on the fuel rail. But 98 and newer FPR in tank, 56 to 72 psi either case. Since mine is right square in the middle I am not going to worry about two psi difference.

No codes at this time, either visible or latent. I did have a code for the EGR, which I fixed with a new DPFE. I also had a code for a high input from the IAT, which I also replaced. But replacing these did not fix the starting issue. What fixed the starting issue was the fuel injector cleaner, it has not failed me again since.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Maybe I missed it but can you please tell me. When the truck is running bad and you check the fuel presure what is it

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I reread the post and once I got past the parts where you are trashing everyone. I guess you are saying that the FP is 62/64 even when the truck will not start because you3 answer was YES.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
If your injectors are "glazing" over like you say then nothing but new injectors or cleaning them out super good which means taking them out and apart and stuff will probably fix your problem as the problem is with the injectors in that case. I don't see how they would glaze over though because they are indirect injectors in the intake manifold and not heated up by the combustion.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If your injectors are "glazing" over like you say then nothing but new injectors or cleaning them out super good which means taking them out and apart and stuff will probably fix your problem as the problem is with the injectors in that case. I don't see how they would glaze over though because they are indirect injectors in the intake manifold and not heated up by the combustion.
Just telling you what a Ford "mechanic" told me the problem was. I have not said whether or not I agree with his diagnosis. My feeling is he just wanted to sell me $500.00 worth of parts, whether needed or not. He told me no additives or professional treatment would work. Yet additives work just fine, the effect just does not last very long before I have to add more. I have not tried Valvolines method, which is hooking up their system directly to the injectors, and basically running the thing on pure injector cleaner, which then requires new spark plugs. I may try that, just have not decided yet.

I guess I just do not understand how these injectors could get so dirtied up in 100,000 miles. My wifes 3.0 Taurus has over 200,000 on it and has yet to give us a problem. That is why I was asking if this is a common problem for 3.0 Vulcan engines. There is a guy over on Ranger Power Sports that used to offer a injector swap service, because he said it was a common problem. I guess I'll look him up and see if he is still doing that.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I reread the post and once I got past the parts where you are trashing everyone. I guess you are saying that the FP is 62/64 even when the truck will not start because you3 answer was YES.
Where did I trash anyone? I asked a guy how pouring fuel injection cleaner in the fuel tank has anything to do with two external sensors. He told me those two sensors were the problem, when fuel injection cleaner has solved the problem.

Yes, the fuel pressure has not varied one psi from those two readings.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
have you measured the resistance on the injectors and compared them to eachother? i pulled a new one off the shelf and im getting a resistance reading of 16.8 ohms.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
have you measured the resistance on the injectors and compared them to eachother? i pulled a new one off the shelf and im getting a resistance reading of 16.8 ohms.
I have not done that yet as it is now running great and starts up on the first turn of the key. Since it is doing so, I highly doubt there is a problem like you describe. But I can practically guarantee that after about three tankfuls without any injection cleaner, it will start to exhibit the symptoms I listed earlier. Its happened before, it will happen again.

As I said earlier, I am going to run the Berrymans at a reduced ratio for a few tankfuls, while gradually switching to Marvel Mystery Oil. MMO has worked great for my two old motorcycles, I have never taken the carbs off of them and they always run exceptionally.

If I have to mix gas to keep it running, so be it. I will probably be trading it soon enough, for a well modified 1999 Ford Lightning.

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Kiss your O2 sensors, and CAT good by if you burn MMO!!!

If your cleaner worked, why are you still posting trash???????

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
cbxer I think an issue here might be that you are posting that you solved the issue and then you keep going on if you think you solved the issue go replace the injectors and stop posting. we are not geniuses just people with similar issue trying to help you figure out your problem.I bet a lot of of have doubts that it is your injectors so we where trying to think of other reasons. It is a little strange the problem you are having. Looking at it logically i just find it strange that all your injectors are bad and that the cleaner solved the problem. like i said anther poster solved his problem with cleaner but he had a pressure issue and we think maybe the cleaner did something to his fuel pump or fpr but it is probably just temporary. usually you would have some codes if you had injectors issue. I for one would be surprised if that is your issue especially with no codes. but let us now what happens

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals