• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DBR/Giant 64 Ranger to Explorer

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good luck, with two kids I wouldn't trade mine. I'll keep an eye on your thread. My buddy did the glass first to help center the axles in the glass wheel wells. I know your front is bolt on, but the back has some wiggle room. Your ranger was nice, so I'm sure you know what your doing. Just telling you how mine went together.

Quasi242

January 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Good luck, with two kids I wouldn't trade mine. I'll keep an eye on your thread. My buddy did the glass first to help center the axles in the glass wheel wells. I know your front is bolt on, but the back has some wiggle room. Your ranger was nice, so I'm sure you know what your doing. Just telling you how mine went together.
You are right. You need to mount the rear glass before you determine your axle location. I have the Fiberwerx 7" rear glass that anticipates that the axle will be relocated 3"+/- further back than stock.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Dixon kit mounted.

Since we will be doing a custom engine cage, we will not be reusing the DBR shock tower.

Notice the pristine DBR axle shafts! These have been sitting on a shelf for the last two years. Since I had my front differential removed from the Ranger for a re-gear the weekend of the accident, these were not damaged.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Explorer finally made it to the lift in preparation for the rear suspension tear down/64 kit mock up. Unfortunately the fabricator just left on a week long Moab jeep trip, so I will need to wait a bit longer to see any more progress.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Fabricator is back from Moab. Giant 64 kit is mocked up and the Explorer is sitting on 35's for the first time. The hangers are only tacked in right now, the leaf pack still needs to get broken down so that the axle can be fully cycled. It is amazing what a difference a wider stance and 35" tires will make. Pretty excited to say the least.

insane4speed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That looks awesome

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I saw all the Dixon Bro's stuff on their website, and I was going to get a long travel set up for my truck.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I saw all the Dixon Bro's stuff on their website, and I was going to get a long travel set up for my truck.
Dixon makes nice stuff and I have been happy with this kit. That being said, he is difficult to get ahold of these days and has not been able to source the axles for his kit. BTF might be a better option at this point for a 4X4 build. Since you have a 2WD, there are several good options.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
A couple of pictures from yesterday.

Using the Giant (Ranger) front spring hanger. The top half of the hanger is cut off to allow for placement. There is enough offset between the frame and the hanger to allow for a nut on the back side of the hanger.

Using the Giant (Ranger) drop shackle mounts. Located near the end of the Explorer frame. Note the spacer placed under the frame to allow the shackle to clear the hatch:

Getting ready to cut sheet metal (should begin tomorrow). At this point, we still have 3"-4" of bump travel before we hit the frame and an estimated 6" before the leafs flatten out. We will likely notch the frame a couple of inches to increase bump travel. How much will be determined once we trim the body.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Opening up the fenders:

And a couple of random wildlife shots of a gila monster that I came across on Saturday:

sbsrlewis

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Quasi242 I love how you opened up the back fenders. Please post pics of the wheel opening when you go to close it up. I'm interested in how you plan to do it.

Steve

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It's a bit premature to make an update post, but it has been a full month since I added my last pictures. Anyway, far from done, but this will give an idea where things are headed.

Gussets added to upper arm mount, and bypass shock mount added to lower arm (sorry for the blurry picture)

Beginning elements of the dual shock tower. This will get boxed and will be tied into the engine cage and cross bar.

Anyway, far from done but at least it is progress.

rangerdanger208

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
slow progress is better than no progress :)

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Quasi, the truck looks awesome! Sorry to hear about your Ranger but sometimes bad stuff happens to good people. Us Tucson guys are gonna have to meet up soon, maybe do a couple easy trails or something.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals