• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DBR/Giant 64 Ranger to Explorer

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The BII tank is yours for free if you need one, I would love to get it out of my garage.
I'd grab it, but I'm giving up on my truck for now and in the market for a Sport Track instead. I'm spending more and more time going slow over rocks than fast down the power lines.
Damn why did you have to be in AZ. I need a BII tank for my 86 Ranger build. Sucks about the truck being totaled, also sucks that it took a lawyer to get things settled out right with the insurance company. That's why I didn't even tell the insurance when I totaled my 84, would have cost me money on the rate increases and I would have had to buy back a truck I built. Glad you were able to get it sorted and on with a new build. Can't wait to see how the Explorer turns out. I've considered a few times replacing my 99 4x4 with a mildly lifted Explorer or Sport Trac.

Quasi242

January 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Damn why did you have to be in AZ. I need a BII tank for my 86 Ranger build. Sucks about the truck being totaled, also sucks that it took a lawyer to get things settled out right with the insurance company. That's why I didn't even tell the insurance when I totaled my 84, would have cost me money on the rate increases and I would have had to buy back a truck I built. Glad you were able to get it sorted and on with a new build. Can't wait to see how the Explorer turns out. I've considered a few times replacing my 99 4x4 with a mildly lifted Explorer or Sport Trac.
Since I was not at fault in that collision, it made sense to take it the distance. I am also excited to get this build under way. In particular, I am interested to see how the SOHC feels compared to the tired 3.slow that was in the Ranger.

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
im gonna guess it will feel pretty close going from the pickup to SUV with extra weight. im just excited to see some build action happening.

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im gonna guess it will feel pretty close going from the pickup to SUV with extra weight. im just excited to see some build action happening.
Between the body roll and weight, I use every pony my 5.0 puts out to keep up with v6 trucks.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I kept the stock tank, and haven't had any problems.
I am keeping the stock tank. I picked up the BII tank when I had the disillusioned idea of trying to link the Explorer. Sometimes it is good to talk yourself off of a cliff. Links would be cool, but the 64's will be plenty for what I want to do. Also keeping it leaf sprung should make it easier to get the truck out of the garage and into the dirt.

Between the body roll and weight, I use every pony my 5.0 puts out to keep up with v6 trucks.
I imagine that is true. I thought about building a 5.0 Explorer but I did not want to deal with converting the AWD to 4X4 and could not turn this one down for the price that I picked it up.

I am hoping that by using a full width axle and mounting the 64's and bypass shocks to the outside of the frame that I will be able to limit some of the body roll. If not, I will add a sway bar down the road. My 3.slow was fairly tired and all of my differentials are currently geared to 4:88 so that should help. Unfortunately, I can not go any higher in gear ratio since last I checked you could not get anything higher than 4:88 for the front diff.

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have 4:56s and 33s. I have my shocks outside the frame running wheel adapters to 5on5.5. I haven't played with the bypass, but would recommend a rear sway bar if you are going to do alot of street. For furture reference, the xfer swap isn't to bad. If you run 4:88s it will hold its owns. The 4.0 isn't a bitch motor.

P.S. I am also I-beamed, the a-arms may help as well with the roll.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have 4:56s and 33s. I have my shocks outside the frame running wheel adapters to 5on5.5. I haven't played with the bypass, but would recommend a rear sway bar if you are going to do alot of street. For furture reference, the xfer swap isn't to bad. If you run 4:88s it will hold its owns. The 4.0 isn't a bitch motor.

P.S. I am also I-beamed, the a-arms may help as well with the roll.
Do you have a build thread? I would be interested in seeing pictures of your Mountaineer.

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
no I don't, not to hi jack but here are some pics.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Rear axle, and springs removed from the Ranger

Front bumper, fenders and fender wells removed

Hoping that suspension work will start later this week.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i probably would have just bought the ranger back and fixed it. 1st time they totalled my ranger took 6 months or so of fighting to totally settle. actually over a year with proper paperwork.....bastards.

but the explorer has some great options if you dont need a bed. i like them.

the b2 is in bad shape so swapping its shit to a explorer is on the table..its got a good running 4.0 in it already...good body explorers are easy and cheap to get compared to a good clean b2.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
i probably would have just bought the ranger back and fixed it. 1st time they totalled my ranger took 6 months or so of fighting to totally settle. actually over a year with proper paperwork.....bastards.

but the explorer has some great options if you dont need a bed. i like them.

the b2 is in bad shape so swapping its shit to a explorer is on the table..its got a good running 4.0 in it already...good body explorers are easy and cheap to get compared to a good clean b2.
Yeah, fighting the insurance was a major pain and took much longer than it should have. Fixing the Ranger really was not an option as the frame was creased behind the lower a-arm mount and it had a 3.slow. I also wanted the extra seating capacity and lockable storage that the Explorer offered. Will it be as fast as a linked Ranger... no, but it should be a great overall desert vehicle.

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, fighting the insurance was a major pain and took much longer than it should have. Fixing the Ranger really was not an option as the frame was creased behind the lower a-arm mount and it had a 3.slow. I also wanted the extra seating capacity and lockable storage that the Explorer offered. Will it be as fast as a linked Ranger... no, but it should be a great overall desert vehicle.
They do pretty good, just don't turn worth a ****. The trucks I go with have to use 4wd twice as much as me because of the weight over my rear wheels. I like that part. I ran with one linked truck, it was a race yota. I didn't hang right with but stayed in the same zip code. :icon_thumby: But I also had the radio going and the heater on.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
They do pretty good, just don't turn worth a ****. The trucks I go with have to use 4wd twice as much as me because of the weight over my rear wheels. I like that part. I ran with one linked truck, it was a race yota. I didn't hang right with but stayed in the same zip code. :icon_thumby: But I also had the radio going and the heater on.
Wouldn't the steering be similar to the Ranger since the front suspension and steering is identical? Plus, I would expect that the shorter wheel base should help it to turn faster. Or is it a situation where the added weight causes it to blow through the loose turns?

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Its hard to get my rear end to break loose and slide so I have a lot of roll in the corners because it just hooks or pushes. I'm still getting used to driving it, I have gotten better, but I am full width TTB and best guess about 6k-so no, mine doesn't handle like a ranger. It does turn fast, and If I had a rear sway bar it would help alot.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Its hard to get my rear end to break loose and slide so I have a lot of roll in the corners because it just hooks or pushes. I'm still getting used to driving it, I have gotten better, but I am full width TTB and best guess about 6k-so no, mine doesn't handle like a ranger. It does turn fast, and If I had a rear sway bar it would help alot.
That makes sense. With any luck, the Explorer should be on a lift to day to get the suspension work started. Step 1 will be to swap over the front components.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals