• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana 28 to a dana 30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
I have an 85 b2 with the 28 up front a friend is giving me a Dana 30 for free I was wondering how much fab work I am gonna need to do and if all the steering components from the 28 will go on the 30

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
More work than it's worth.
Think of the numbers as a rating system. The higher the Dana number, the stronger and better it is.... You're going up 2 points...
Better off swapping the dana 35 under there, it's easy and all bolt in.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^+1.
Sell or trade the d30 for a d35, its an easier swap, bolts right in basically, and is a big step up in strength.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
how much do you think a d30 is worth stripped of steering components

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The steering components wont go from the D28 to the D30, found that out myself. Heres a link to my build thread, I did the D28 TTB to D30 SAS to my truck. There is some fab work involved but I think it was worth it in the end. I too got my axle for free, and that is what started it all.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92330

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the d30 could be worth it. i'm planning on doing the d30 swap. i'm working on the build stuff now... early stages of it. it's stronger than the 28, and as strong as the d35 if you have the larger u-joint axle shafts. main downfall is the minus of the lock outs...

but, it'll hold the 33's or 35's that i plan to run. a lot of jeepers run them w/ minimal breakage-- depends on how you drive of course. but this thread is not about d35 vs d30.. there are a lot of those on here. and i still plan on doing the sas for a number of reason. 1- i'm tired of ttb and trying to set it up properly (is effective if set up right, i'm not saying its not). 2. part of msj- i'll have spare parts in the parts trailer. 3. i can get the d30 stuff used- cheaply. its hard to find ttb stuff around here other than JY. 4. i want to! its my rig... i've seen the d30 preform a lot... seen what people do on 35's to 37's and not break.

if you can do the swap yourself you can do it w/ long arms. and the price of the arms are the most expensive thing.. besides, its your rig, what do you want?

d35 is bolt in.. but my d35 was stripped by some dang thieves... and i'd have to have skyjacker brackets (b/c my rough country lift uses a drop plate), jeep coils (need either way), gears (either axle needs), and rebuilt (either way). so it comes out to about the same for me.. but i want sas'ed

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I broke a 35 never had a failure with my 30 altho i was swapping unit bearing's constantly

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals