• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

daily doubler build

Foxracin

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Same spot I mounted my controller. But in cab controls ftw. A whoooole lot easier then getting out and hooking controller up.

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you spool the rope up under load?
Of course. Not in the pics, but I did this afternoon in the daylight.

bray pick one of these up,
That would be pretty slick. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the link man.

Same spot I mounted my controller. But in cab controls ftw. A whoooole lot easier then getting out and hooking controller up.
You gotta pull cable anyways (if you're not an ass and make your co-driver do it :thefinger:). Might as well plug the controller in while you're out there. Then you can spool it in from inside OR outside the cab.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That would be pretty slick. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the link man
for the money you cant beat it, alot easier to just leave the controller on the visor and when you need it flip the switch and go. for looking like cheepo china junk i was really suprised with it.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
bray pick one of these up, was the one i had on my truck and worked great. took about 10 minutes to wire up and worked in a good 50-75ft range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WIRELESS-WINCH-REMOTE-CONTROLLER-SWITCH-4x4-OFFROAD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2310199d14QQitemZ150593969428QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Hmm, I like that. I might pick one up for the trailer winch. Too bad it's that Mayalsian blue instead of the more common China black. lol

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lol yea like I said they look like cheap junk but work surprisingly good for the $30 I paid for mine.... All the other ones are $130+

Going to order me another one soon, but I guess I should find another winch somewhere forst

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
2 questions one why do you need to spool rope under load? I've never done that with cable.

And two I don't see the point of a controller you have to be inside the truck to get on the breaks anyways so In cab switches just make so much more sense. Just personal preferance I guess

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2 questions one why do you need to spool rope under load? I've never done that with cable.

And two I don't see the point of a controller you have to be inside the truck to get on the breaks anyways so In cab switches just make so much more sense. Just personal preferance I guess
You may want to unspool your cable all the way and inspect it. If you don't spool it under load, the outter wraps will sink through the inner wraps/kink the inner wraps/etc when you partially unspool it to pull yourself out of a sticky situation.

Your cable could be damaged.

Its more harmful to cable than it is to rope of you don't spool it in under load since rope won't kink, but I did it anyways.

The controller deal is total preference. Both have their benefits.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
how much load? i hold it out and pull while someone else reels it in (just to get it to wrap evenly) but i know its kinked in a few places already... oh well lol its also about 10 ft shorter then it should be right now. ill get a new one soon

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Warn recommends a minimum of 1000lb load while spooling.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your not always in the truck when running the winch. with the wireless i can spool it in myself i can hook to whatever im hooked to and get the slack out without being in the truck.

in other words in about 1000 situations it comes in real handy over a normal controller or being hard wired in the cab.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
the wireless ones do seem much more practical to me yea but i just meant the regular controllers i dont get the point of them. i just have whoever ran the cable wait till i get the slack out lol

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ah, thought you meant the wireless...all ive ever seen everybody do is run them up the hood into the window.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
the wireless ones do seem much more practical to me yea but i just meant the regular controllers i dont get the point of them. i just have whoever ran the cable wait till i get the slack out lol
I make everyone run their own cable. If it's your shit, you got stuck, you run the cable.

On the contrary, I'll always check out the attachment points to make sure its adequate though. I don't trust most people, with the exception of Bray and Wirsch.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
When I did mine (spool under load) like a dumbass I unspooled to far and ripped the cable off the drum. When I did to it right though, I just put truck in neutral and very lightly dragged the brakes. Had a buddy watch the drum to make sure I got a decent wrap as I went.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals