• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 TTB Vent Fitting Thread Size / Part #?

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My D35 TTB front is missing the vent fitting that goes on the top of the passenger-side axle tube stub. I just have a threaded hole with nothing in it. I've found a bolt that threads into the hole, and eyeballing it, it might be M10x1.0; I'll measure it at the hardware store tomorrow.

That said, most breathers seem to be stocked by application, not thread size? And trying to find this one is an exercise in frustration. The part doesn't seem to show up on the exploded views for any of the TTB axles. Search is basically turning up "where is my breather?" and "how do I extend my hoses?".

Has anybody ever replaced this part? Can anyone confirm cross-compatability with another axle that does have this part listed? Does anyone have a Ford or aftermarket part number?

Thanks so much. As always, if I get my threads measured and end up finding the part, I'll come back and edit this for anyone else who's lost.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I just looked up the dimensions of a 1/8 pipe and it is .405 inches. If you convert that to mm that is 10.287mm. I bet that is a 1/8 pipe thread. I would try one of these from the hardware store.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sweet, thank you. I checked my test bolt this morning and it does measure M10x1.0, but I've also read that NPT 1/8 and M10x1.0 can sometimes be "finessed" into each other's fittings in pinch.

The guys at the good-old-boys parts store were unable to help me search vent fittings by thread, and recommended I retap / jam something in, so unless somebody else chimes in, this looks like the move. I really, really don't want to fully retap, because dropping the pumpkin on these is awful.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would think if it was a straight thread like a bolt, it would have had a flange with a gasket on the original fitting (it may have). The good thing about pipe threads is they are tapered. That farther up you go the larger the threads become. So it seals with a little pipe dope or thread tape.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Okay, so to close this out, 1/8" NPT to 1/4" Barb did the trick. Thanks very much franklin2 for the information. It ultimately threaded 95% of the way in before I could no longer get a grip on it with the pumpkin already mounted on the beam, so I'm going to run it.

While waiting for the fitting to arrive--since my four local hardware stores all didn't carry NPT below 1/4"--I incidentally read that you're not supposed to use brass fittings in aluminum. So, I slathered it in antiseize, and I have an aluminum fitting on the way from China.

Thanks again!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals