• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

combating todays fuel prices

1996DANGERRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so today i was thinking of ways to improve my fuel economy on my truck. . and some newer vehicles now-a-days are using cylinder shut down to improve this. so my thought was if there is some way to be able to shut down the injector or something to the #5 and #6 cylinder to basically make it a 4 cylinder. idk if anyone has thought of this or tried it but im curious. .figured this would be the place to ask . .

my theory was to turn the injector off by basically running the wires to them into the cab on a toggle switch and run them back to the injector. .i also dont know if this would affect the speed of the injection and make the engine run poorly when you did?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
ok ..... so you shut off the injector.......... so how you plan on getting around the parasitic loss of 2 cylinders shoving compression with out firing?

Those engines that shut down cylinders have a way to bring those cylinders to near zero compression. Figure that out and you might have something.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
ok ..... so you shut off the injector.......... so how you plan on getting around the parasitic loss of 2 cylinders shoving compression with out firing?

Those engines that shut down cylinders have a way to bring those cylinders to near zero compression. Figure that out and you might have something.
My understanding is that the valves actually shut completely, so that the air trapped in the cylinders acts like a "spring" so that the non-active cylinders basically acted like springs storing energy when compressed by the rotation of the motor. If I recall correctly, the old Cadillacs did it with oil pressure, and newer engines use solenoids for the valves, and variable-valve timing is near ubiquitous in this day and age, so you're seeing it more and more:

Show's what I'm talking about in a little better detail:
http://www.underhoodservice.com/article/74456/tech_feature_the_variables_of_valvetiming.aspx

Last edited:

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Do it

n C if it makes a diff,:icon_welder:

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im actually planning to build a homemade hydrogen fuel cell (electrolysis)to put on my 94 ranger. talked to a guy that did it on his big block ford truck and he saw almost a 30% increase in mileage.

planning to just put a T in my PCV line going to the air intake and route the hose from the cell up to it. capturing both the hydrogen and oxygen from regular water makes the perfect stoichiometric blend so it should just simply be a substitute for the gas/air mixture the engine already consumes that the computer could trim out.:icon_thumby:

IN THEORY this should work....:D:icon_rofl:

1996DANGERRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay well i talked to some people about this today and if i did it i would have to cut off 3 cylinders not 2 to keep the engine in balance. .and as far as releasing the pressure im not sure on that. .i kinda want to go to the junk yard and try it on a v6 ranger instead of my truck. .just to see if it will run okay or if it will be way out of balance and break stuff

1996DANGERRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and also i thought instead of runnning wires into the cab can portentially raising the resistance and messing with injector timing i'd figrure i would use a normally sloced circuit relay and when i provide power to the relay it woud open the circuit and then shut them off. .but still dont know if the engine will run right if i do this

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
If you're messing with the mixture in the cylinders or deactivating cylinders in an engine and computer system that was never designed to do so, it's going to compensate by putting the engine into a limp mode, compensate by enriching the fuel mixture, or go into a preset curve. All of these will cause your fuel mileage to DECREASE. Running the system as designed and in good tune will return the highest fuel mileage and reliability. i get 17-18 mpg usually and I call that pretty damn good for what I have, I'm not going to mess with it.

1996DANGERRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
like i said it was just a thought. .i prolly wont be doing it. .but i've been hearing alot of stuff like that from people. .so i dont think it'll happen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals