• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CFI - central fuel injection conversion on 2.8L

MGDIY

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, looking for anyone who has done the CFI conversion on the 2.8L. I have read the tech article and was wondering why I need to switch the fuel tank. Could I not just swap out the mech fuel pump for and electric? Thoughts, advice or articles related would be great, I have looked at a bunch of the forums and may have missed it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Most fuel systems need a return line. And most need a baffled fuel tank for best performance with a fuel injection system. If you notice, most newer cars and trucks have what they call a "fuel cartridge" which is like a large plastic pipe that sits on the bottom the fuel tank, and the fuel pump and return lines are inside this pipe. This keeps the fuel around the fuel pump suction as much as possible, especially when the fuel is getting low in the tank and you are going around turns.

Ford got around this in the older trucks by using a regular fuel tank with a electric low pressure in tank pump, and then used a higher pressure frame mounted pump with what they called a "fuel reservoir" mounted on the frame near the frame mounted pump. Some of these reservoirs had fuel filters, but their more important function was to store fuel from the high pressure return so the high pressure pump always had a supply of fuel. The in tank pump could starve and then recover, but the high pressure pump needs a constant supply for the injection system.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you could use an electric fuel pump in the tank, but the 2.8l tank assembly isn't really setup for that

Couple of things you need to know
Up thru 1988 Ford used a fuel gauge system that used 73 ohms EMPTY and 10 ohms FULL
In 1989 and up the senders and gauges were switched to 16 ohms EMPTY and 158 ohms FULL
So opposite
Need to stick to senders in the tank with 73/10 for your gauge to still work

Low pressure pumps use a diaphragm setup like your mechanical pump, it can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, lol so it can suck the gas from the bottom of the gas tank over the top of the tank, along the frame and then up to carb, but they can only build about 10psi pressure, at the carb

High pressure pumps are centrifugal setups, they couldn't suck the air out of a fully inflated tire, lol, well not quite that bad, but they have 0 suction, so they have to be immersed in the gasoline(bottom of the tank) or have some pressure pushing gas into them, i.e. low pressure pump and high pressure pump setup
But they do run at 80+ PSI pressure

And that's another thing, high pressure pumps have no internal regulator, they are either on or off, so 80+psi or 0 psi
You will also need an FPR(fuel pressure regulator) to limit the pressure to the CFI you chose, it will have an optimal fuel pressure it needs to calculate how much fuel to add, then you get an FPR thats set for that pressure
Its good to have a Fuel Return line on an FPR because it will make the high pressure pump last longer
If you want 30psi pressure at the CFI use a 30psi FPR and then the other 50psi is sent back to the gas tank on the return line, pump is happy and CFI is happy...............so you are happy :)
The pressure requirement is not "standard" each CFI system will list what pressure it was tuned for

Knowing all this you can pull your fuel tank assembly to see what you will need, also to clean out the tank
You could use an 1985-1988 assembly that is already set up for low pressure pump so has the wires and return port, then use a high pressure pump instead
And then an FPR in the frame rail, with short Return back to top of tank

You will also need to add inertia switch with 12volt key on wire to power the pump

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anyone come up with a 4 barrel setup small enough for a small displacement engine? Something that would be equivalent to like a 350 or 390 CFM Holley. Preferibly something that could replace a 390 CFM holley 4bbl. That might be enough to get me to take interest in my old 2.8L again. It's got the Offy intake so a 2bbl wouldn't work straight up and I don't really want to want to use an adapter to 2bbl or swap to a stock manifold (don't even have one).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you could use an electric fuel pump in the tank, but the 2.8l tank assembly isn't really setup for that

Couple of things you need to know
Up thru 1988 Ford used a fuel gauge system that used 73 ohms EMPTY and 10 ohms FULL
In 1989 and up the senders and gauges were switched to 16 ohms EMPTY and 158 ohms FULL
So opposite
Need to stick to senders in the tank with 73/10 for your gauge to still work

Low pressure pumps use a diaphragm setup like your mechanical pump, it can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, lol so it can suck the gas from the bottom of the gas tank over the top of the tank, along the frame and then up to carb, but they can only build about 10psi pressure, at the carb

High pressure pumps are centrifugal setups, they couldn't suck the air out of a fully inflated tire, lol, well not quite that bad, but they have 0 suction, so they have to be immersed in the gasoline(bottom of the tank) or have some pressure pushing gas into them, i.e. low pressure pump and high pressure pump setup
But they do run at 80+ PSI pressure

And that's another thing, high pressure pumps have no internal regulator, they are either on or off, so 80+psi or 0 psi
You will also need an FPR(fuel pressure regulator) to limit the pressure to the CFI you chose, it will have an optimal fuel pressure it needs to calculate how much fuel to add, then you get an FPR thats set for that pressure
Its good to have a Fuel Return line on an FPR because it will make the high pressure pump last longer
If you want 30psi pressure at the CFI use a 30psi FPR and then the other 50psi is sent back to the gas tank on the return line, pump is happy and CFI is happy...............so you are happy :)
The pressure requirement is not "standard" each CFI system will list what pressure it was tuned for

Knowing all this you can pull your fuel tank assembly to see what you will need, also to clean out the tank
You could use an 1985-1988 assembly that is already set up for low pressure pump so has the wires and return port, then use a high pressure pump instead
And then an FPR in the frame rail, with short Return back to top of tank

You will also need to add inertia switch with 12volt key on wire to power the pump
'85 has the bigger opening. It was the first year because the 2.3 was EFI.

Makes it a major PITA to find a sender for a '85 2.0/2.8 because they were kind of a one year only thing being carbed with the bigger opening for a fuel pump.

A '86 2.9 fuel tank was a direct swap for my truck when my tank rusted out.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Anyone come up with a 4 barrel setup small enough for a small displacement engine? Something that would be equivalent to like a 350 or 390 CFM Holley. Preferibly something that could replace a 390 CFM holley 4bbl. That might be enough to get me to take interest in my old 2.8L again. It's got the Offy intake so a 2bbl wouldn't work straight up and I don't really want to want to use an adapter to 2bbl or swap to a stock manifold (don't even have one).
One of those companies(maybe it's Holley?) has a Ford 2bbl replacement throttle body injection system, with the electronics made into the throttle body. Of course you could find a 2bbl intake. I am sure someone would take that 4bbl intake off your hands.

Here it is. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_2300_2bbl/sniper_2300_2bbl_master_kits_with_fuel_system/parts/550-849K

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
One of those companies(maybe it's Holley?) has a Ford 2bbl replacement throttle body injection system, with the electronics made into the throttle body. Of course you could find a 2bbl intake. I am sure someone would take that 4bbl intake off your hands.

Here it is. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_2300_2bbl/sniper_2300_2bbl_master_kits_with_fuel_system/parts/550-849K
I'm somewhat familiar with Holley's Sniper offerings, I have got one on the FE in my F-100. Last I had looked they did not have a 4BBL Sniper small enough. I don't keep track of every company's products, so maybe something else has come out since I decided on the sniper for the F-100.

It's got the Offy intake so a 2bbl wouldn't work straight up and I don't really want to want to use an adapter to 2bbl or swap to a stock manifold (don't even have one).
Nah. Let's put it this way, no offy = no 2.8L for me. That's an irreplacable part of what makes my engine, my engine. If I didn't have my engine, I wouldn't be interested in the 2.8L at all.

MGDIY

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the feedback fellas, looks like I'm having almost as much difficulty finding a 3.8 CFI / donor vehicle as I did when I tried to find a distributor for the duraspark conversion :( Holley sniper setup may be an option, anyone with experience putting it on the 2.8?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.8l was only used in US/Canada from 1974 thru 1985, so 9 years and didn't have a lot of 3rd parties jumping in to make parts for them
Mustangs and Pintos had them 1974 thru 1979/80
Rangers/B2s from 1983 thru 1985

So it will always be hard to get parts for them

Why not just do a 302/5.0l swap
Way more options with carb/EFI and Distributor or not

Low tech carb and HEI conversion will be much easier, and parts are all over the place
Mechanical fuel pump, 1 wire ignition

MGDIY

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ya u bet, I've wondered about that. Its my sons first truck, so trying to keep it useable for work and school, cant afford to have it out of commission for several weeks or a month.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
2.8l was only used in US/Canada from 1974 thru 1985, so 9 years and didn't have a lot of 3rd parties jumping in to make parts for them
Mustangs and Pintos had them 1974 thru 1979/80
Rangers/B2s from 1983 thru 1985

So it will always be hard to get parts for them

Why not just do a 302/5.0l swap
Way more options with carb/EFI and Distributor or not

Low tech carb and HEI conversion will be much easier, and parts are all over the place
Mechanical fuel pump, 1 wire ignition
Reasons I am not doing a 302 swap for now.

-v8 with the original 3.73 gears, even with a overdrive trans is going to suck gas. I get a solid 20 mpg with the 2.8.

-I doubt a v8 conversion will pass inspection in my state. Yes, I might be able to hunt down someone who would not look. I definitely would have to put a quiet single exhaust with a cat on it to pass anywhere.

-It's a lot of work

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals