• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Caught a late night prowler in the yard

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Friend of ours had one, while she lived in Panama, years ago. Presumably they bathed it?

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, the possum snarl and hiss is pretty freakin disarming...especially when you just got up out of a dead sleep...I bet your dogs helped him help himself to the cat food.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have frequent encounters with a racoon I can't seem to get rid off...

The little bastard even came in through the cat door one night when I wasn't around!

I've shot him repeatedly with a pellet gun (cant discharge a real gun inside city limits) which barely phases him, my friend poked it in the face with a piece of lumber, still keeps coming around....
Get a bow and stick him.

I don't really care too much about possums, my only gripe with them is their poo is poisonous to horses... which doesn't work out well when they like to nest in hay. Never really heard them make much noise unless they were provoked and even then they are just full of hot air. Raccoons are pretty destructive, aside from stopping high velocity objects I don't have much use for them. They can make a good racket though.

We used to have a dog that would bait (intentional or not we don't know) possums and raccoons with her food. During a busy spell she would kill 2-3 a week around her doghouse. Didn't eat them or tear them up, just crushed their middles.

The thorn in my side is coyotes... 2-5am and they sure make you jump awake when they get to partying in the front yard.

Last edited:

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Get a bow and stick him.
Where is Straycat's AKA 'The wildlife steward' comment(s)?? I like to observe all creatures big & small without harming them-

I don't really care too much about possums, my only gripe with them is their poo is poisonous to horses... which doesn't work out well when they like to nest in hay. Never really heard them make much noise unless they were provoked and even then they are just full of hot air. Raccoons are pretty destructive, aside from stopping high velocity objects I don't have much use for them. They can make a good racket though.
Never have a problem with racoons or possums. In fact several times the possums will come to the second story fire escape (wooden) which impresses me. I'll feed them wet cat food and let them live their lives. Coyotes on the other hand, stay in the woods & never bother the sheep or white pigeons that the landlord has on property. The only nuisance are the variety of hawks that go after the pigeons but in the end, all is forgiven-

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Where is Straycat's AKA 'The wildlife steward' comment(s)?? I like to observe all creatures big & small without harming them
It is a neat concept and it isn't like I really go out of my way to do stuff like that, but coming in the house...

You can live in your little fairly land where they are all cute and cuddly and don't hurt anything, I choose reality.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Man, where are you guys getting all these pix of my ex inlaws? You're freakin' me out.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
That one is kind of cute and so small he can't be but a baby. I was looking for a photo from about 7 or 8 years ago where I was in the back yard with one hanging on a piece of bamboo... But I can't figure out where I stashed the photo.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That's awesome! My wife would go nuts..she loves them.
So would by little sister. She loves the piss out of those things. We have watched a ton of shows about the shelters they have for them. They seem like they would make decent pets.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is a neat concept and it isn't like I really go out of my way to do stuff like that, but coming in the house...
Trust me, I've had worst visitors-
You can live in your little fairly land where they are all cute and cuddly and don't hurt anything, I choose reality.
Never did I mention that the critters are cute & cuddly :icon_confused:. I thought that the challenges in life was taking the bad with the good-

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought that the challenges in life was taking the bad with the good-
I guess you can make it as challenging as you want to.

You can cuss the creatures trashing your kitchen or ripping apart the eves under your roof vs. eliminating the problem just the same as you can stumble around in the dark vs. turning on a light.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals