• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can a PATS system be totally deleted?

brianhood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 2000 2005
Make / Model
3 Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Can a pats system be totally deleted? If not, if I use the cluster, colum, and ecu from the donor vehicle will that work?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes, a tuner can delete PATs. The cluster is not part of PATs though, if you are referring to the 2004+ HEC clusters they are married to the ECU, a tuner cannot change that. You either need a matching ECU and cluster or have the cluster re-married by Ford (not even the dealership can do this).

It's obviously much easier just to keep a matched ECU and cluster. (There is no other part of the PATs system except the keys, the transceiver in the column is just an antenna and not specific or coded to the vehicle)

PATs keys can easily be programmed with forscan.

It would be helpful to know exactly what you are trying to do in order to give more specific advice...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, which Ranger are you talking about?

Your 1996 and 2005 don't have PATS, Ford skipped 2005 Model Year for PATS in Rangers

Leaving the 2000 Ranger and if its a V6 then it has 1st generation PATS so uses a separate PATS module above glove box
Computer can be reprogrammed so no PATS needed, and PATS Module can be removed and its starter relay ground wire grounded full time

brianhood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 2000 2005
Make / Model
3 Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got a 2000 ranger with a good power train in it. It has a 3.0 and a recently rebuilt automatic trans. The body rolled and is ruined. I want to transplant the entire engine/transmission into a nice 2005 Sport Trac that I've got that has a bad engine. I know that ill have to use the trans, engine, harness, and ECU from the ranger. I didn't know if the PATS or lack of a PATS would interfere with my plans. So what would I need to take from the wrecked Ranger to make this work?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
In addition to what you already know (ecu and harness) you'll need the PATs module since as Ron mentioned is a seperate unit in 2000, as well as the transceiver since the sport trac will not have it. The 2000 ecu will not require an HEC cluster to work HOWEVER, I have no idea how you could get the 2005 cluster to function on a 2000 ecu. I don't know if sport trac and ranger clusters are interchangeable. You will also need to either swap ignition switches and use the ranger keys (again no idea if the ignition switches are interchangeable) or get 2 new chipped keys cut for the sport trac ignition and then program them to the ranger ecu via forscan.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it will, but you can pull out the PATS Module and Transceiver(ring around key slot) with wiring
Tape Ranger key inside transceiver ring, connect it to PATS module and ECU wiring and put it under dash, PATS by-passed

Yes, if the 2005 Sports trac has an HEC Clusters then you will have a problem, 2000 Ranger ECU can't send it info
So a bigger issue than 2000 Ranger PATS

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ron as always is right, but I can't see a reason to bypass the system in such a matter when making it fully functional is just as easy. It's a useful security system. If you can go through the trouble of putting the module, transceiver, and key under the dash, you could just as easily put them where they belong...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would seriously consider selling the running 3.0l Drive train(whole vehicle) and invest that money in fixing or replacing the stock engine in the Sports trac

2000 Ranger weights in at 3,200lbs curb
2005 Sport Trac is 4,350lbs curb

The 3.0l on its best day can get that 3,200lbs Ranger moving down the road, but just OK
Add 1,150lbs..........well I don't think you would be very happy with it, especially trying to get up to highway speeds with ANYONE ELSE in that 4 door vehicle

MPG would also suck BIG TIME, its just too much weight to run full time with that 3.0l Vulcan engine

Last edited:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I would seriously consider selling the running 3.0l Drive train(whole vehicle) and invest that money in fixing or replacing the stock engine in the Sports trac
+1^^^^

brianhood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 2000 2005
Make / Model
3 Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I did go to a u pull it yard and compared the gauge cluster from the Sport Trac to to the Rangers and they both look to be identical. I don’t know about the internals but they both appear to have the same terminals and the wire colors are the same. Furthermore, I am going to use the rangers harness but the sport trac has the same style harness and the same colors. I could be very wrong but it looks like it could be a plug n play type fit.

Where is the PATS transponder? Is it attached to the steering column or is it a separate unit under the dash? I can’t seem to find a picture of it on Google, does anyone have a picture of the PATS box?

Since I’ve got the wrecked truck and it’s not costing me a penny I’m going to go forward with this swap (I might regret it) but I like a challenge.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The pats module is behind the glove box. The only piece in the steering column is the transceiver antenna on the ignition switch.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
that would be different to see when the hood is opened, a 3.0 that never was offered in that chassis. Id swap out the rear end for 4.10’s though, its going to feel like your towing or fully loaded all the time.

brianhood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 2000 2005
Make / Model
3 Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Racsan
Should I use the rear from the wrecked ranger? Also, if the loop around the key switch is an antenna, should I use it or the antenna that's on the wrecked ranger?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You either need a matching ECU and cluster or have the cluster re-married by Ford (not even the dealership can do this).
How many times do I have to tell you this? YES WE CAN!!! We do not have to replace PCMs and ICs in pairs. The dealer does in fact have the ability to reset the system to accept new parts.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
How many times do I have to tell you this? YES WE CAN!!! We do not have to replace PCMs and ICs in pairs. The dealer does in fact have the ability to reset the system to accept new parts.
What do you know...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals