• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Building a Prerunner (Common, but please read)

pipefitterjosh

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am 23 and raced motocross my whole life, got out of that sport and now looking for something new. I recently traded my new Z71 in on a Ford Fusion (I know,I know) because gas was killing me driving to work. Shortly after this, I realized how much I used my truck's bed. I am looking to build a Ranger, not nesceassrily a prerunner because I am in Indiana and not the desert but there are good spots to wheel around me and Michigan's dunes are close.

My question I guess is this, and I have searched without answers I was really looking for. I want to build something that I can drive if I really need to, and leave the bed somewhat usable. How much modification needs to be done to be able to really have fun in this truck? I am looking to spend no more than $10,000 total.

I was looking at a long travel front end, beadlocks, a bed cage with shocks, and some other small stuff but those were the main investments. I am a pipe fitter by trade and have access to a tig and stick welder in my garage.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sounds like a good start. Add in 63" chevy leafs and a shackle flip.

Richard

Uncle JuJu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would say your top priorities are suspension and gears. With the right combo even a 4 cylinder can be fun! Prerunner are about going fast!

Keep the truck low for stability. Ten to twelve inches of travel, and some good tires! With 10k you could build yourself a nice weekend toy. For that much you could get a nicely set up truck from someone else.. Or at least astarted one like RaceRunner!

Keep us posted.. I and read our posts! You will get lots of good info there.

Rotagotideas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Building a prerunner

well since ya are thinking of making everything for the truck that you possibly can, I'd suggest looking for a 1997 or older ranger with a 4.0L, there are tons of kits out there that you can draw ideas from. check out all the info out there for doing a dana 44 ttb swap if ya are thinking of a 4x4 model.

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well since ya are thinking of making everything for the truck that you possibly can, I'd suggest looking for a 1997 or older ranger with a 4.0L, there are tons of kits out there that you can draw ideas from. check out all the info out there for doing a dana 44 ttb swap if ya are thinking of a 4x4 model.
X2
Here is the way to get around the main problem when swapping in a Dana 44.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51465

pipefitterjosh

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would say your top priorities are suspension and gears. With the right combo even a 4 cylinder can be fun! Prerunner are about going fast!

Keep the truck low for stability. Ten to twelve inches of travel, and some good tires! With 10k you could build yourself a nice weekend toy. For that much you could get a nicely set up truck from someone else.. Or at least astarted one like RaceRunner!

Keep us posted.. I and read our posts! You will get lots of good info there.
I was thinking along those lines possibly too. Only problem is finding something set up in my area. I'm sure there is some stuff up in Michigan but I can't find anything online. Any ideas on places or sites to look at?

howeyfeltersnatch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.slo
Transmission
Manual
10k you can have a very nice rig i got 6500 total in mine and paid 1400 for the truck if you go older find a used eng cage front beams and rad arms that will get you around 1500 -2k, the rear some deaver springs used 400 bucks but the shocks will set you back some change fronts 500- up the rear 400- up a 4.0 will turn 33'' tires with stock gearing it wont be fast but you can still drive , id focus on suspension first if your going to do it dont go with a 8'' shock in the front and 10's on the back buy shit once a min of a 12'' stroke for the front and the same for the rear if not longer

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
to be honest, you can have massive amounts of fun with something as simple as some bent/extended beams, better coils and buckets, and a nicer 2.0 body shock in the front. in the rear, a set of deaver f31 leaf springs and a low profile bedcage as close to the edges/front of the bed as possible will work really well for both DD and the trails/michigan dunes.

the main advantage is being able to weld and fit tube, that will cut down the majority of the cost of finding a bed or engine cage and shipping it, and lets you build things how you like them. i'd suggest tig welding over arc welding.

check out dezertrangers.com, tons of pics and info to search through from simple to full kill. i'll tell you one thing though, 90% of the people i know or have talked to enjoyed their trucks more when they were simple and reliable. the more money you spend towards making it an off road toy, the less practical it is to drive on the street, and the less often they would use it as intended.

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
to be honest, you can have massive amounts of fun with something as simple as some bent/extended beams, better coils and buckets, and a nicer 2.0 body shock in the front. in the rear, a set of deaver f31 leaf springs and a low profile bedcage as close to the edges/front of the bed as possible will work really well for both DD and the trails/michigan dunes.

the main advantage is being able to weld and fit tube, that will cut down the majority of the cost of finding a bed or engine cage and shipping it, and lets you build things how you like them. i'd suggest tig welding over arc welding.

check out dezertrangers.com, tons of pics and info to search through from simple to full kill. i'll tell you one thing though, 90% of the people i know or have talked to enjoyed their trucks more when they were simple and reliable. the more money you spend towards making it an off road toy, the less practical it is to drive on the street, and the less often they would use it as intended.

Repped...

redrider121

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like you are in a similar position to me. I'm trying to build a full long-travel suspension system that is 100% bolt on and doesn't impede on bed space at all. :shok:

Fortunately, for 10k you have much more wiggle room than I do (i'm a broke college student haha)

Anyways, to cover the rear for something that isn't too much of a headache, I would suggest doing the 64" chevy spring swap with a shackle flip (no more than $150). Also, check out dixon racing for a "cantilever rear suspension". I'm in the works of designing one myself. This is a little more pricey, but I hear it works really well ($1500 w/o shocks, $2100 with). This can give you up to 18" of rear travel according to Dixon Bros.

As for the front, it gets a little more challenging depending on what truck you get. I personally have a 2005 ranger edge 2wd. For play, I prefer the 2wd because it's fewer parts that can break and a little lighter in the front. Also, mine is a torsion bar suspension (which will eventually be scrapped).

I know lots of people that swear by the old I-beams because its so easy to gain lots of travel, but I don't know anything about that. I do know that Camburg racing offers lots of options for Rangers that is really high quality stuff if you're more into purchasing rather than building it yourself. They offer a couple of kits for the Edge models that yield about 19" of travel for $3800 (no shocks though).

I know its getting pricey, but that's an almost complete build price. Also, I second a 4.0l. I have a 3.slow and wish it was the 4.0. I ran 31" tires with my stock 3.0l and it did just fine and looked really good. So I would think that re-gearing a 4.0 wouldn't be crucial as long as you don't go bigger than 32?? (I'm not sure. I can only speak for what I know)

After that, it's just some tires and gas. :icon_thumby:

Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals