• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Building 4x4 switch

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 04 sport trac harness with the 4x4 module. The 4x4 switch is missing and expensive. Im swaping an 04 sport trac 4.0 and tranny into my 00 ranger. I dont want to swap out my dash harness to obtain the 4x4. I would like to build a custom harness and switch for engagement of the 4x4. I could by a used switch but I think I could build a switch for a whole lot less. I just wanted to see if anyone has heard of this or seen this done. From what I gather the MSS switch is just a 3 position switch with different resisitances.

This is what the switch should check across terminals 2 and 3.
2WD 3,700-4,100 ohms
4X4 1,050-1,150 ohms
4X4 LOW 340-380 ohms

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
The reason I want to do this is because Im going to eventually do a manual conversion. So replacing the dash harness is something Im trying to avoid. Since I have everything but the switch off the sport trac I might as well use it. And having a stand alone harness that could engage and disengage a borg warner 13-54 would be handy. No matter what you want to put it in. The t-cases are obviously going ro be plentiful. It seems to me that the system is basically just a servo motor and controller. So if I have a 4x4 module and a servo motor I should be able to control it even if I have to have the stock switch it would still be better than ripping my dash out wich I can do. Its the putting it back together Im not sure about. Any thoughts?

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
is this the same switch as the ranger? if it's the same i may have an extra one, but would have to look.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
pm received..... packaged up ready to ship .

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
factory switch sent to you via- u.s. postal service check your pm box for tracking number.

tks for the rep point..

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I got my harness finishied if anyone is interested pm me. Im doing a 4x4 conversion on my 2wd 2000 Ranger.I refused to by that mechanical shifting mehanism the shiftser thing or whatever. I didnt want to have to swap in a dash harness and all I have is an electric T-CASE the BW 1354. This the 4x4 cm out of an 04 sport trac. I have cut it down to just the essientials to make it shift my Tcase. It works great but take into consideration Im not using all the features of this device just controling the servo motor for shifting. Special Thanks to Grey04 for sending me the switch I needed.:D

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals