• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brake light/rear antilock light on

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i had an 87? bII a while back, and i was told my rabs light was on because of a "dirty sensor in the rear diff" the way i was explained it, there's a sensor that's like a magnet, and collects metal filings over time, and once it's really dirty, it pops the light on, the sensor can be removed, and cleaned, and will work again, untill the residual crud dirties it up again...

i didn't have the truck long enough to actually do it though...

my truck was an interesting deal though, 2wd, with a "dummy transfercase" and a non existant 2.3L efi v6... i can't find ANY details on it, or any one else in north america with the same motor, but i know for a fact that it was a 2.3L v6...

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had an 87? bII a while back, and i was told my rabs light was on because of a "dirty sensor in the rear diff" the way i was explained it, there's a sensor that's like a magnet, and collects metal filings over time, and once it's really dirty, it pops the light on, the sensor can be removed, and cleaned, and will work again, untill the residual crud dirties it up again...

i didn't have the truck long enough to actually do it though...

my truck was an interesting deal though, 2wd, with a "dummy transfercase" and a non existant 2.3L efi v6... i can't find ANY details on it, or any one else in north america with the same motor, but i know for a fact that it was a 2.3L v6...
That's what I changed out was the sensor in the rear diff with a brand new one. I might try to start looking at the bigger more expensive parts though which kinda sucks.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did it help any?

it is possible the new one is dirty again, if there are lots of filings

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
did it help any?

it is possible the new one is dirty again, if there are lots of filings
No. I went for a drive around the block and it came on after a few mins after I put a brand new sensor in.

Last edited:

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
The battery will have (or at least ours does) an extra ground wire that feeds the RABS system. It has a connector as well a few inches from the battery ground. Any crud or bad contacts? The light will come on. Just considering it hosed ours (someone replaced the terminal ends, and cut the extra grounds off...made life he&& to figure out all the issues)

S-

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet, I will def check it out. I'm hoping that's all it is, because I was messing around moving the wire bundles alot when I was trying to install my new Clutch Master cylinder and thinking that it could of messed with something down there.

Plus I noticed there aren't very many places that sell all the exact pieces for the ABS system. Even LMC isn't very specific on the ABS system. Anybody know of any other sites that might offer the parts?

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
curious. when you replaced the sensor, did you clear the codes in the computer? Thinking maybe the sensor swap could have solved the problem but the computer is still storing/throwing out the same error.

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Would I need to just pull the negative terminal on the battery and wait 30 minutes?

lneidlinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ever take the pic?

Changed out the sensor and no bueno. So I'm not sure what to check next.

Whoops, it actually is a 4 pin, each sensor wire has it's own ground.

This is on the driver side, about under where the steering column is in the frame rail.

Attachments

Steeda04SVT

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
curious. when you replaced the sensor, did you clear the codes in the computer? Thinking maybe the sensor swap could have solved the problem but the computer is still storing/throwing out the same error.
If it was popping codes, wouldn't the check engine light be on then too? I disconnected the negative battery terminal for an hr and noticed the "Rear Anti Lock" Light wont come on until I go past 35-40 mph.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
abs codes are different than eec-iv codes... they are stored differently, same with transmission codes, they show different lights on the dash... newer vehicles will have the od off light flash for a transmission code

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Anyone ever figure out what the issue was? The sensor weezl mentioned a few posts up is the speed sensor in the rear (typical hall effect type sensor). There's a few things that can go wrong with ABS such as the controller or the pump. I asked another BII owner about it not too long ago and he said that it is some sort of pressure switch which gets stuck. I tend to think that he's right because the system seems to work right even with the light on. The sensor (or what I believe to be the sensor) is located under the driver's side floor board closer to the fire wall. Anyone ever replace the sensor in question?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals