• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brake leak

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've traced the leak to the line that goes from the ABS module to the rear hose. It looks to be a nightmare to replace it goes down inside the driver side frame rail, does anyone know if I have to remove the gas tank to change it out? Also the fittings look completely rusted and I've started the penetrating oil, probably won't be able to get to it until next weekend. Any insight would be appreciated. 97 2.3L 2WD reg cab. Thanks.

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Cut out the old one and pull it out and slide a new line in alongside the gastank and frame. No need to remove the tank or pull the bed of or anything like that.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cut out the old one and pull it out and slide a new line in alongside the gastank and frame. No need to remove the tank or pull the bed of or anything like that.
Definately like what ryda said. I had to replace that line on my 99. Simply loosen the connection, mine connected from the front to the back around the fuel filter. Then go to the back and loosen the line back there. Slide that line out, go to a parts store and get a tubing bender and bend u a new line identical to what u had. It may be hard to get the line out, mine was so I left it in there and just cut most of it out. I bent the new line and then wrapped it in wire loom and taped it all the way up and then slide it along side the gas tank and tightened it back up. :icon_thumby:

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all your help. For a temporary fix to the leak I'm thinking of just plugging the outlet on the ABS module to the rears. Its just used for around town transportation. Anyone see a problem with this?

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all your help. For a temporary fix to the leak I'm thinking of just plugging the outlet on the ABS module to the rears. Its just used for around town transportation. Anyone see a problem with this?
FYI, I had to replace the rear lines on the axle aswell because they were rusted out. Wonder why I didn't lose all the fluid? Because the jackass who had it before me put a nail in the master cylinder line running to the rear. If I were you, the safest and most responsible thing to do would be to fix it. Just my .02 on brakes...

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yes, fix it don't mess with your safety and the safety of others on the road. Its not expensive to fix, just a bit time consuming.

ZackB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I definately plan on fixing it, however I'm doing the timing belt on the wife's Acura tomorrow and its supposed to pour on Sunday, so I thought to get it through a week I could plug it off to temp. stop the leaking.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I definately plan on fixing it, however I'm doing the timing belt on the wife's Acura tomorrow and its supposed to pour on Sunday, so I thought to get it through a week I could plug it off to temp. stop the leaking.
And what happens if it fails and you get in an accident? Or you get hurt or someone else gets hurt? I was working on my buddys 03 Ram outside in the rain today. Throw on your coveralls and do what you gotta do. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals