• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Body lift advice

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
so the extender is most likely included in the kit and is something that can be done at home with regular tools and a little mechanical know how right?

ONE LAST IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR ALL!! since my truck is a 4wd, do i need two separate shift extensions or is the one PN[3700] Shift Extension good for both? I HADN'T EVEN CONSIDERED this until i was reading over all your responses. i want to be as prepared as i can before i undertake this mission!
Everything involved in the kit is absolutely a simple hand tools job. Steering extension took me 2 minutes tops, shifter probably 15 tops but I have a cup holder to monkey with to get to the wedge bolt for the shifter itself. As far as the manual transfer case shifter extension goes, I dont think it exists. I believe it is unnecessary to extend it. Quite frankly it would be a pain in the ass if you had to as the whole assembly bolts to the transmission. So on a happier and cheaper note, I would worry about it! It will still shift the t-case like normal but you will just have to reach down 2-3 inches further to shift it!

Edit: WOOHOOO! Post number 200! And it only took me 3 years and 10 months haha!

Last edited:

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
DRanger024, thanks bro. I believe you and everyone else here have answered all my questions perfectly. I think I'll go with a 2" lift so as to not extend the transfer case stick too much nor the standard shocks that I have.

To all those who responded or are going to respond, THANK YOU!
You are all an indispensable wealth of knowledge. I'll have as soon as I can get the work done.

Anyone else with more info or advice, continue the thread. I'll keep checking fo any last info between now and the lift. :icon_welder:

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
No problem man... Always try to help. Good luck on your lift and make sure you post pic's when you're done!

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 2 inch lift kit for my '83 needed no extensions at all. mine is manual tranny and tc. also, you may want to consider replacing the original body mount bushings while you're in there. will improve the ride and the kit is only another $50 or so. well worth it, imho.

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont think they make shifter extenders for the fm146 which you would have in an 86. I have a newer one and I don't see the exstender listed on jcwhineys site. I'm going to summit to buy mine. It just sucks that it cost 40bucks.

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual
x2 on replacing the body mounts when you do the BL.

Vanner1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
460, 351M
Transmission
Manual
I just did it on my 86, nothing needed extensions. All I had to do was bend the shifter straight to clear my console (bucket seats). By bending the shifter straight, it brought it up to factory height. Everything else was fine. Just watch the brakelines as you lift under the master cylinder (spread the coiled area of brake line). The fuel filler neck will be fine. Steering is fine too. PB blast all mounts and bolts a week ahead of time, you won't even need a breaker bar for them. Btw I did the 3 inch.

Last edited:

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
I just did it on my 86, nothing needed extensions. All I had to do was bend the shifter straight to clear my console (bucket seats). By bending the shifter straight, it brought it up to factory height. Everything else was fine. Just watch the brakelines as you lift under the master cylinder (spread the coiled area of brake line). The fuel filler neck will be fine. Steering is fine too. PB blast all mounts and bolts a week ahead of time, you won't even need a breaker bar for them. Btw I did the 3 inch.
INTERESTING...

you and i seem to have the identical truck. so with the 3" the standard shocks, manual tranny shifter and the transfer case shifter were ok?

i have a bench seat. would you think that i still dont need the shift extension? i could just bend it? wouldn't that risk breaking it? i mean, its pretty difficult to bend the shifter without breaking it, right?

sorry guys but i must admit my ignorance! i've read many people mention to PB blast the mounts and bolts before hand. what is that? :icon_confused: i tried to ignore it but because so many people mentioned it, i must know what that means. HELP!

thanks for all your help everyone!!

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
PB Blaster is an aerosol can of fluid that loosens and helps break old rusty bolts and nuts, or whatever. penetrates better than WD-40. will make it easier to get the body bolts out. the worst will be the front 2 cab mounts. they are bears to be sure! if you have to cut or drill them out, no big deal. just go to the hardware store and get some grade 8 (i recommend stainless) bolts for the size hole you'll be left with. usually around a 1/2 inch or so, iirc. just get them the same length as the ones in the kit or just a little longer if you like.
good luck with your project.

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
PB Blaster is an aerosol can of fluid that loosens and helps break old rusty bolts and nuts, or whatever. penetrates better than WD-40. will make it easier to get the body bolts out. the worst will be the front 2 cab mounts. they are bears to be sure! if you have to cut or drill them out, no big deal. just go to the hardware store and get some grade 8 (i recommend stainless) bolts for the size hole you'll be left with. usually around a 1/2 inch or so, iirc. just get them the same length as the ones in the kit or just a little longer if you like.
good luck with your project.
thanks once again! i see now! the power of knowledge. that product is available at any auto parts store right?

also, everyone says to do it a week beforehand. can it be driven at that time or do you need to leave it sitting for a week when i spray that stuff on?

i'll definitely look into the body mounts. and thanks for that info about the front ones and and the possibility of having to cut them and that its not that big of a deal. i most likely would have freaked out about the whole thing going in blind. i appreciate it bro. i feel like i'm walking in with years of experience without even having done it once! :yahoo:

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
You can get PB Blaster just about anywhere. Hardware stores, auto parts stores, fleet farm, anywhere! If you where closer I would give you one of the probably six cans I have haha. Yes you can spray the bolts and drive around. If anything, it will help work the PB down into the threads. Make sure you spray the bottom of the bolts and the tops up inside the cab!

Vanner1993

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
460, 351M
Transmission
Manual
My truck had a bench seat before I swapped in buckets, the shifter is a dam heavy duty one so don't worry about breaking it. I used the rear bumper of a parts truck to bend it haha. Just make it straight up and you'll be fine. Everything else was fine for me. Watch the E brake cable too, mine was fine but loosen it up a bit so it's snug when you lift it. And soak the heck out of the bolts like every other day. Only one bolt broke for me, the front passenger mount. And wow, your truck is my twin haha.

Last edited:

RangerBoy94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
360CDI
Transmission
Automatic
I'd get a pair of 2 inch coil spacers as well if you want the front of the truck to be level with the back.

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
You can get PB Blaster just about anywhere. Hardware stores, auto parts stores, fleet farm, anywhere! If you where closer I would give you one of the probably six cans I have haha. Yes you can spray the bolts and drive around. If anything, it will help work the PB down into the threads. Make sure you spray the bottom of the bolts and the tops up inside the cab!
dang bro! you're just full of good info! will take this and eerything else in mind when i finally get to working on it.

thanks a million:icon_thumby:

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
My truck had a bench seat before I swapped in buckets, the shifter is a dam heavy duty one so don't worry about breaking it. I used the rear bumper of a parts truck to bend it haha. Just make it straight up and you'll be fine. Everything else was fine for me. Watch the E brake cable too, mine was fine but loosen it up a bit so it's snug when you lift it. And soak the heck out of the bolts like every other day. Only one bolt broke for me, the front passenger mount. And wow, your truck is my twin haha.
twins on opposite ends of the continent! thanks for your help. so glad to have awesome people in this forum helping a brother out. :yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals