• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Big Orange Bug

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey all, So I have yet to solve my brake lights and signal lights problem. I'm seriously debating just getting a new harness now. On another note, I had to replace my generator's pulley because it broke its teeth and was starting to damage everything else. So I've put on the new pulley and painted my distributor cap for the heck of it.

If you dont have the correct amount of pully shims on the generator pully your going to keep having problems with it. Iy will also destroy the generator as well. I have 4 bugs. Once I get the truck where I want it I will start on one of my vw's.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
yeah I figured that out when I replaced the pulley. It worked perfectly.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
getting ready for paint! Its getting sprayed this weekend!!!

I primed the "new" engine shroud yesterday. its just gonna be black.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
It got painted!!! I think it turned out fantastic. Next to go on is the headliner and windows. You have to put the headliner on before the windows. Then when I got to pick it up in a week or to, I'll be putting the decals on it. I can't wait to get it back. It looks awesome!!!

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice job on this! If I'd have gotten to you sooner, I would have recommended welding a plate over that "hole" behind your side windows. That always was place that held moisture -hence, all the rust.
I did a '58 baha into a '58 low rider on a '74 frame. I'll give you a link if you want to check it out.-
http://vwrides.com/viewtopic.php?t=88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks and I hear ya. there were some good rust bubbles below it that got patched. I think it''ll be ok for a while. I'm gonna try to keep it out of the rain. I'm definitely gonna check out your link when I get the chance.

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Gotta like them old beetles...I was brought home from the hospital in one after I was born. Did you see the Overhaulin episode where they rebuilt the beetle? Didn't do it in Baja but still looked cool.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No I haven't seen that episode. I looked up the pics and it looks cool. I find it kinda funny that its painted orange too. It looked like they turbo'd it. Its probably making well over 200hp. That would scare me in a beetle. haha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
hey all, another update. I dropped off the old engine block as a core last week and am getting a new block built for me. Its should make somewhere in the ballpark of 100hp and 110 lb/ft of torque with 1915cc. :headbang: And the headliner is being put in. I get the beetle back in a week. I'm so excited to have it back so I can start toying with it. Anyway, here are some pics:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
nice! Keep the pics coming!
Do you know which trans you have? The best one is out of a later model bus called a 6-rib or 091. It can handle more HP and is geared for the highway. If you look at the gear box you can count the ribs. 3-rib or 002 is what came with your bug. It's not bad, but the 091 is stronger.
You can find the 091 on theSamba.com in the classifieds if you ever want/need to upgrade.

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Gotta say thanks for this nostalgia trip. You're doing a superb job! Love the color too. Thanks for sharing.

We had a (brand new) red '73 VW bug that needed lots of TLC over the years. Top speed = 81 mph going downhill, with 1600cc IIRC. It went everywhere, even in deep snow. I spent many hours of quality time nursing that great little car. Watching your excellent project is lotsa fun! :icon_cheers:

Q: where's the radio antenna hole?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
thanks all. itlives, I'll have to check the tranny when I get it back this weekend, but it probably is the beetle one.

cvar, there isn't an antenna hole. Its too loud for a radio. I might put a CB in later but if I do that, the antenna will mount to the engine cage. I think the fastest I got mine was somewhere in the vicinity of 70 (on three cylinders. haha)

The windows are in:

the front with the antenna hole filled in and a rubber grommet for the gas cap hole. I get it back this weekend and couldn't be any more excited!!! I can't wait to start my tinkering on the engine and such. thanks all for looking and commenting!

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I was just informing you of the possibilities. If there's nothing wrong with your tranny, I wouldn't waste money. If you happen on a good deal on a 091, though, get it!
Looking good!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
hey all, I got the beetle back this weekend!!! I've started tinkering while I wait for an estimate on the cost of building a custom engine block. I haven't had a parking brake since I bought the car so I decided to open up the rear brakes. To my disappointment, there's not even a lever in the brake for the parking brake :annoyed:. So I get to try to find that obscure part now. anyway, here are the pics:

Towing it:

The brake missing a mildly important piece:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
What kind of hubs does that car have?
Stock ones would be 4-lugs.
Old ones would be what they call wide-5.
Those are neither. Just wondering...
Finding the brake lever shouldn't be hard at - theSamba.com
I'm just sitting here - I'll go look for you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals