• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Big Orange Bug

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I sent my photo to California Pacific Jbugs and they featured the photo on their facebook page and made it their cover photo! :yahoo: I think I might be building a winner. haha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got my new stinger exhaust in today and fitted it over lunch. the old exhaust didn't fit in the cage. Plus, this one should give a 5-10% increase in power :headbang:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the new external oil cooler in it's future location. I wanted it somewhere hidden where it would still do its job. It turns out that there's just enough room for it on the firewall where a lot of air is getting moved for the engine.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I Ordered a TON of parts earlier this week. They should be coming in at the end of this week and early next week. Luckily, I have Thursday and Friday off next week so there will be plenty of building and pics!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Congrats for the cover! This is a good build, keep it up.

Richard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So last night I started working on the beetle and decided that I was ready to hot wire the motor to start it and hear it. I put some gas in the tank, siphoned the gas through the fuel pump and started kicking it over with a bit of starter fluid. It would cough and try to start but the carbs weren't pulling in any new fuel. But they I discovered that the old fule line was ruptured so now I have to fix that.:annoyed: I did get the new gauge cluster in, and I have to say, It looks amazing.:headbang: here are the pics

And the impending nightmare called wiring

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got the beetle to run today!!! I fixed the fuel pump (it had the wrong push rod) and used a jerry can for the gas tank for now until I replace the fuel line later this week. It sounds amazing! :icon_hornsup: It is crazy loud, hopefully I'll have a video soon. Here are the engine fully assembled pics:

Oil cooler in it's position

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got the bugs buffed out of the paint and I put my stripes on today. it looks awesome! I'm ordering racing numbers tomorrow

mock-up

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So, I went out last night to a cruise in and on the way back, I decided to floor it and dump the clutch and see what happens. Well, I blew out the CV Joint. haha. I guess the new motor was too powerful for the old joints. Oh well, time to upgrade and replace

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
racing numbers!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
hey all, I know it's been a while. I got most of the wiring sorted out. The headlights & tail lights work, brake lights, turn signals, reverse and gauge lights all work. I got the tach and voltmeter to work. I'm waiting until I do an oil change to put the oil pressure and temperature sending units on. I have yet to get the speedometer to work. It keeps shearing the cables. I think I know the problem and will try to fix it next week. I also don't feel comfortable wiring the fuel sending unit. It sizzles like it's arcing in the tank and the gas fills all the way to the top to the point that when I undid the first screw on the sending unit, gas came out. haha. I might just have to watch how much I put in the tank. (*I wound up replacing the unit. the old one had gone bad*) Lastly, I put in the carpet and door panels this weekend. I'll be redoing the seats next week. They need new padding and upholstry in a bad way. Anyway, here are some pics:

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking good!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
hey all,

So the beetle is now mostly finished. all that's left to do are the seats, radio, and wheels. I also installed my favorite work perk this weekend. I got a set of Class 11 racing Bilsteins for the bug. That combined with the glove box install and center console have made the ride much more enjoyable.:cool: here are the pics:

And my favorite poser in a while:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey all,

Just a small update. Since about July I've just been tinkering a bit just fixing what I can because summer's almost over and I've gone back to school. anyway, I've painted the exhaust with header paint to make it look better. I also put a breather box on the motor. I've also ditched the front "bumper" in favor of a high performance sway bar. which it turns out, the previous owner had straight cut off the original (which is why it rolled like the titanic and got pushed around by the wind on the highway). Now it drives like it's on rails :headbang:. So anyway, that's all I've done. Next on the list: new upholstery for the seats, radio, wheels, replace steering column, replace worn shift rod bushings. on to the pics:

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Are you going to stitch new seat covers? Leather? Maybe a matching padded glovebox cover? Does da bug have a heater? I didn't notice any heater tubes wrapped around the exhaust manifold. I suspect Cincinnati gets pretty chilly in winter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals