• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Oil and filter for Truck ?

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
fixizin:

I work for the company that was once Pennzoil (new owners of the refineries now). The Pennzoil/QS company no longer exists, except in name only (Shell owns the name). Pennsylvania crude is about depleted and the sources come from all over the world.
Refining technology has changed tremendously and to meet the latest API specs. Wax is a constituent that occurs naturally in all crudes, but the vast majority is removed (and sold!) in a process called MEK Dewaxing. This is a solvent extraction process that also uses refrigeration to crystallize and remove the wax. Any traces of wax in the base stocks are further eliminated by processes such as Catalytic Dewaxing (CDW) or Iso Dewaxing (IDW).
Bottom line - do not fear sludge from wax in the motor oil anymore!
:pray::pray:

Good to know. This Porsche mechanic has been retired for almost 10 years, but when someone who has torn-down HUNDREDS of (mostly) air-cooled engines ('tween say, 1967-2000) says that the most HEAVILY SLUDGED engines were (almost) ALL running either QS or PZ, *and* that the Castrol and Valvoline users were MUCH cleaner, then something's GOTTA be "going on". :shok:

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ENGINE - ENGINE OIL - RECOMMENDED APPLICATIONS FOR SAE 5W-20 AND SAE 5W-30 MOTOR OILS - GASOLINE AND FLEXIBLE FUEL VEHICLES ONLY
What does AND mean???:icon_confused:

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
OK, bluff called... guess I'm not keeping up with the Ford buzz... ass-u-ming that's a legit website/source.

Improved fuel economy?... or shorter engine life, aka planned obsolescence, resulting in more repeat biz for Ford...? Hmmm.... :icon_confused:

LOVE to see some hard data on whether 5W20 flows better to the oil-starved CMP synchro... :shok:

dru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK, bluff called... guess I'm not keeping up with the Ford buzz... ass-u-ming that's a legit website/source.

Improved fuel economy?... or shorter engine life, aka planned obsolescence, resulting in more repeat biz for Ford...? Hmmm.... :icon_confused:

LOVE to see some hard data on whether 5W20 flows better to the oil-starved CMP synchro... :shok:
regardless of whether or not its a legitimate website its still a Ford technical service bulletin. I remember seeing it on the Motorcraft site long ago. this was just the first one that came up when i googled it.

5w20 or 5w30??? probably doesnt matter. if you've been using 5w30 for as long as you have its probably fine. some people have some sort of oil OCD. :shok: "oh my god, you ran supertech for 5000 miles instead of mobil 1 with the auto rx??!!!! :shok:

none of my friends change oil on their cars on a regular basis. there cars are lucky to see fresh oil every 2 years, still rolling around.

valleyvinyl84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 / 1994
Make / Model
Ford / Chevy
Engine Size
2.0 / 350 CID
Transmission
Manual
"oh my god, you ran supertech for 5000 miles instead of mobil 1 with the auto rx??!!!! :shok:
For what I hear Supertech ain't all that bad. Not saying it's the best but it's by far not the worst.

dru

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
agreed.

it was more of an exaggerated statement some obsessive compulsive oil lover may say.

valleyvinyl84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 / 1994
Make / Model
Ford / Chevy
Engine Size
2.0 / 350 CID
Transmission
Manual
I actually heard it tested better than Rotella. :secret:

6cylboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Motorcraft or Wix filters and Chevron Delo 400 30w

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For what I hear Supertech ain't all that bad. Not saying it's the best but it's by far not the worst.
I have used Super Tech synthetic in two of my vehicles for the last 5 years with 10,000 mile oil changes. No problems, and testing has shown it to be very good oil.:)shady

UnderMedikated

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Walmart Synthetic Oil

I just started using Walmart brand full synthetic. It's reasonably priced and has all the certifications oil can get. I'm rebuilding my 2.9 and if all goes well will use only that or a premium brand from here on out. I'm going to try to mitigate the oiling issues of the 2.9. I hear Wix filters are really good. I've used many brands but will probably choose Amsoil or Wix.

austinrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Motorcraft and Pennzoil 10W40 every 3K mls since I bought my '93 with 120K mls. Now about to top 300K and going strong with that oil & filter combo.

pacodiablo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
All I have is circumstantial evidence. I used a heavier weight oil than my truck called for, and my cam synchro was dead at 60K. That's enough for me to stick to the recommended oil for my truck, which is and always has been 5W20.

There's no evidence that 5W20 causes greater wear.
http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=3&Number=1248243&Searchpage=4&Main=94368&Words=motorcraft+5w-20&topic=0&Search=true#Post1248243

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Have over 100k on the 3.0 in my wife's Taurus using Motorcraft 5w-20 and Motorcraft or NAPA Gold filters. I occasionally get used oil analysis and they are still fine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals