• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Oil and filter for Truck ?

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Motorcraft filter and 5W-30 Royal Purple in both Rangers' engines. Royal Purple ATF for both transmissions, and Royal Purple gear lube for all the axles.

Rat City Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Royal Purple is full synthetic right???

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic

Rat City Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've heard good things about the Royal, I think the only place around here that sells it is the local speed shop haha

Last edited:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I will warn you, the purple stuff is pricey. In the 3.0L, I change the oil every 4,000 miles. In the V8, I change it about 2,500-3,000 miles because it usually sees more abuse. So, it may be expensive to run in the engine, but I highly recommend running in everything else. With my 3.0L, I averaged 15-16mpg in the winter because of the use of 4wd and warming up. The next winter, I was running RP oil in everything and it jumped to 16-17mpg.

Behind the 306, an AOD with Lentech and TCI components hides. The RP oil keeps shifts very consistant and takes the abuse of a 3,100 stall converter. I am really pleased with the stuff. I'm in no way promoting Royal Purple or saying its the only good oil, but I've been extremely pleased with the results.

PS: The motocycle oil is very good, too. The clutch grabs way more consistantly no matter what the temperature.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i always use Napa filters becuase they are made by Wix like stated above. Oil: Whatever 5-30 is cheap at Napa when i get the filter. Ill try to post pics of the fram filters i cut open at work to show why i would NEVER use a Fram.
Beef

Rat City Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good advice, thanks! My buddy swears by the stuff, he's got a 68 Dart 383 that he races regularly, he doesn't run anything else

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
i run mobil 1 full syntheitc in all my vehicles except the beetle and change out every 5000. the beetle is diesel, it gets a change every 10000 on rotella t synthetic.

on my ranger i switched to mobil 1 synthetic ata bout 150000, when i stopped delivering pizza(runs up the miles real quick). just make sure you let it drip out every bit you can of the old stuff and fill up with the good stuff. i use the mobil one filter with it also. done me good for over 50000 so i would recomend the mobil one. i use mobil one synthetic in my rear and tranny too. doin real good all around.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
yea , i usually like to run Napa Gold Filters , which are made by Wix , but oil , i currently run castoral , but my dad lives by quaker state , and my stepdad buys whatever is on sale at autozone , i really like shell , and they just came out with the synthetic Rotella T 5w-40 , but i am afraid of what it may do to my engine , since the engine has 100k on it and the shell oil is full synthetic
This is a common misconception about synthetic oils. You can switch to synthetic any time you want, no matter how old your engine is. Nothing bad will happen. I'm switching over all my vehicles and lawn equipment to synthetic, one by one, including my 1994 Explorer with 143k miles and my 1992 Accord with 131k miles. I've already switched both vehicles and they are running great, with no bad side effects, just as I suspected. What are you so afraid of, i.e. what exactly do you think will happen if you put synthetic in your engine?

i dont know about now but quaker state was designed yrs ago to gunk up to preserve aluminum blocks, and in turn was great for stopping up oil pumps. the synthetics may not do this but the mineral oils did, and when you changed the oil you had it coming out in glops like oatmeal and milk, i dont like that in my engine. i seen it do it one time when somebody had their oil changed, and my half brother worked at an oil shop in town and every car that had the quaker state oil change that had it in there b4 did this when he drained the oil out. sorry but quaker state isnt high on my list of oil choices, they may have changed the formula and it doesnt do it anymore. i remember seeing it when i was kid (about 8 or 9), just stayed away from it ever since.
I'm calling :bsflag: on this. There is no way an oil company purposely designed their oil to gunk up. In fact, that's one of the main things oil companies design their oils NOT to do. I think the cars you've seen were just cars that weren't maintained well, and they went a long time without an oil change. You would be amazed at how poorly a lot of people maintain their vehicles. Even if Quaker State did make their oils gunk up 30 years ago, they simply don't anymore. Like you said, they reformulated their oil since then. In fact, EVERY oil manufacturer has reformulated their oils DOZENS of times since then. So take any oil biases and rumors from 10+ years ago and forget them already!
As for Fram filters, I don't use them. If you use one, your engine will probably run fine and I doubt you'll have any problems. But the fact is there are filters that are constructed better and are higher quality for less money. If the Fram is on sale, go with the Fram. If a Motorcraft or Wix is the same price or cheaper, go with that.

When it comes to oil, I believe there are only 2 things you really need to consider (actually 3, if you include the price), and they are: 1. Type (conventional, synthetic, or syn. blend) and 2. Viscosity. The type you should use depends on many things, including cost, how often you change the oil, driving conditions, etc.
As for viscosity, I pretty much just recommend going with what Ford says to use as they are the ones who designed the engine after all. In the 3.0's case, it's 5w-20.

After you decide on these things, go with whatever's cheapest, or whichever bottle is your favorite color. You can't really go wrong with any brand.

Last edited:

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
i run mobil 1 full syntheitc in all my vehicles except the beetle and change out every 5000. the beetle is diesel, it gets a change every 10000 on rotella t synthetic.

on my ranger i switched to mobil 1 synthetic ata bout 150000, when i stopped delivering pizza(runs up the miles real quick). just make sure you let it drip out every bit you can of the old stuff and fill up with the good stuff. i use the mobil one filter with it also. done me good for over 50000 so i would recomend the mobil one. i use mobil one synthetic in my rear and tranny too. doin real good all around.
i use mobil one synthetic tranny fluid in my truck , they are the only ones i found that make mercon 5 , and i have het to change my diff fluid , and i have put all most 15k miles on my truck and the axle was sumerged once

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
... the axle was sumerged once
couldn't tell from your avatar...:icon_thumby: you wont have any trouble switching to synthetic. the motor will love the stuff, go for it!!!

loneranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i for one have used Castrol GTX 10W30 in almost every vehical ive ever owned and it has never did me wrong. i switched to Valvoline for a while but i found a water bubble in a quart one day as i was changing my oil and almost lost it right there. as for oil filters, i run fram filters never had a problem with them so why change.

TinyBear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5L Twin Turbo Direct Injection Eco Boost
Transmission
Automatic
Ford Oil Filter And Castrol 5W-20 Full synthetic.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
couldn't tell from your avatar...:icon_thumby: you wont have any trouble switching to synthetic. the motor will love the stuff, go for it!!!

actually my avatar is my 96 , the truck i miss the most , i sold it about 3 or 4 months ago , it was a 4.0 5speed with 3.73's warn lockouts and a l/s rear , and it had the stock 265's , my truck i am talking about now is a 2000 with a 3.0 and a auto , and i submerged that crossing a river

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
well, at least from the avatar pic we know what good you are up to...i suppose as long as you have the breather tubes up out of harms way you should be fine for your fluids.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals