• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ball joints

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
This, except use a pry bar to move the wheel straight up and down. It's easier to find ball joint play that way. Rocking it by hand can throw bearing or tie rod play into what you feel and give a false positive.
Usually I can see a bad ball joint just by looking at how the knuckle moves relative to the beam. Ball joint or wheel bearing play are both pretty easy to see and distinguish from each other. Any more than 1/32" play in ball joints equals worn out anyway :icon_thumby:

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The shop I take my vehicles to said that the max wear permitted is 0.030, the right side is at 0.045 and the left is at 0.010. I'm going to buy the ball joints myself and when I get a weekend off, which for me is tuesday thru thursday, I will hopefully be able to get my neighbor with the press to help me take care of both sides. I know I've had wheel bearings done, but not sure if front or back, left/right. I can't remember. Will see if I can get the coil spring isolators from the shop that I ordered and have those done as well. If not, then I will have to wait until I can afford to do it at the shop.

How long before its considered unsafe to drive with worn out ball joints?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My '96 Ranger had around 1/8" (.125) play in the passenger lower for at least a couple months. Towards the end it was getting worse every day, steering felt really weird and it would pop hard when turning in reverse. Yours might last a while but keep in mind it probably has no grease in it so you are turning a rusty ball in a nylon/steel socket many times with no lubrication, so it will wear VERY quickly... so what I'm saying is change them ASAP.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am replacing mine at the moment. I thought I had damaged something on the trails yesterday so I took it in for an alignment. Turns out all 4 were bad. It was a little squirly over 65mph before, but after yesterday I can't even keep it on the road at 30mph.

Pep Boys quoted me $80 in labor and around $30 each for the ball joints. Price isn't too bad, but I am doing mine myself too. Just rented the tool from Autozone. I would suggest replacing your wheel bearings while you have it apart.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've never done wheel bearings...nor have I done anything else involved in suspension before, I'm learning through these forums and by books and from friends/neighbors. If I take the truck apart to do the ball joints, how much more work is involved in replacing all the inner parts of that area?

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wheel bearings will be cake, ESPECIALLY after doing the friggin ball joints. just remember grease is your friend. and they are super cheap anyways, so why not do it while youre in there.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
moog ball joints cost me 65 each , I would also do the inner u joints at the knuckle at the same time.

I spent about 300 on parts when I rebuilt mine , that included bearings , seals , the afore mentioned u-joints , ball joints, brake pads, break hoses

A shop will charge you that much in labor easily, just for one side.

Ok what about the u joints and seals? What kind of seals are we talking about? Probably will need to replace the brake pads as well. What's the process to replace the u joints?

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Where can i find measurements for the u joints? I have many choices on autozone.com. What's the deal with the the inner and outer wheel bearings? Do I need both sets? Do I need to buy boots for the tie rod ends?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finished mine this morning. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. You need 4 wheel bearings. 2 for each side, inner and outer. They are all the same part number. And get some grease and pack them. Very easy and you have to remove them to do the ball joints anyways.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok but what about the tie rods? On the AZ website, there's some that are measured? And the u joints I have to find measurements for them...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Tie rod ends are cheap and if you take them off you need an alignment. If you need rod end boots, just get rod ends. If the boot is torn the ball and cup joint inside it probably damaged already anyway. The grease doesn't stay in there long once the boot is gone.

Think about a hip joint with no cartilage

For wheel bearings, get both the inner and outer. Don't forget the inner dust seal. It is really easy to destroy them taking them out. I find the best way to install the seal is to find a piece of 1/4" plate that covers the whole seal, set the seal in the hole, set the plate on top of it, and then give it a good what with a 2 lb hammer.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I will replace the entire tie rod ends, with boots. I only need to do the front end suspension as I have had the rear end done last year. But what about the u joints? How do I know what size I need????

Ok, I took some pix of the front suspension. Tell me what I am looking at. I KNOW about the coil springs, the brake lines, but not real certain about the rest.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Ok, I will replace the entire tie rod ends, with boots. I only need to do the front end suspension as I have had the rear end done last year. But what about the u joints? How do I know what size I need????

Ok, I took some pix of the front suspension. Tell me what I am looking at. I KNOW about the coil springs, the brake lines, but not real certain about the rest.
I really think you need to take a step back and think about this project... more specifically if you are comfortable taking your truck apart this far. If you have any doubts then just have a shop do it...seriously.

After you have thought about it and if you decide to fix it yourself, just DO IT. It is OK to ask questions but the best way to learn this stuff is to dive in and get the parts you need as you go. Just trying to be realistic here, replacing all the stuff you're talking about is a LOT of work for someone who doesn't know what they're doing. :icon_thumby:

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats the way i did it. when money is low and somethings needs fixed you have to just figure it out. you dont need any major tools. the ball joints and a press thats it..you could even get and electric impact like i did from autozon for 60 bucks and it works great.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I got a really good idea of how to do the ball joints after reading thru some articles and some writeups I've read through. I just figured since I'm in that far I might as well replace what I can so I don't have to tear it all back down again.
I just need to know where I can find the u joint measurements and tie rod end measurements.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals