• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ball joints

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Word of warning - you WILL break the HF ball joint press if you use a big enough impact. Mine isn't broken but it's ultra bent and I have only used hand tools with it.

If you get to the point where the press is very tight and the joints aren't coming out, smacking the sides of the knuckle around where the joint goes in always makes them pop.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Word of warning - you WILL break the HF ball joint press if you use a big enough impact. Mine isn't broken but it's ultra bent and I have only used hand tools with it.

If you get to the point where the press is very tight and the joints aren't coming out, smacking the sides of the knuckle around where the joint goes in always makes them pop.

Take heed, good info! Spend the extra and get GOOD tools, you'll never regret it,

Richard

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wow. Thanks for the info guys. We have a small, very small air compressor. Still sounds like a big job to me though lol.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Is there any way that I can see for myself if the ball joints are bad? I want to make sure they need replaced before I do anything.

K-Slice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lift the wheel off the ground, shake it from side to sid, then up and down. If there is any movement or if you can feel/hear any poping then something is broken. Could be a ball joint, tie rod end, or wheel bearing.
If you do feel that loosness then go behind the wheel while someone else shakes it and look for the source of the movment.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok ill check it out.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, they were right. The right front wheel is loose up and down pretty good. Should I do both sides at the same time or just replace the ones that are bad?

K-Slice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd do both ball joints while I had the nuckle off. Getting the whole thing apart is a time consuming job so replacing them both will save you time in the long run. Especially if they're both old.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The whole vehicle is old lol. I do not know anything about the history of my rig. All I know is everything is needing to be replaced lol. I will have to find out how much more it would be to have the shop do both at the same time.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
A shop will charge you at least several hundred dollars to change out two ball joints on one side. Buy the press, axle nut socket, torque wrench, and ball joints yourself and still be at least $100 ahead.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a neighbor who has a press, he said if I needed any help to just let him know. If I can get him to help me do the ball joints, I won't need to buy much if anything.

We have a big huge socket to remove the hub/spindle I believe. We also have a torque wrench ;)

Last edited:

K-Slice

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_rofl: I'm not gonna say it.

ashleyroachclip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 Ranger STX
Make / Model
1995 Explorer L
Transmission
Manual
moog ball joints cost me 65 each , I would also do the inner u joints at the knuckle at the same time.

I spent about 300 on parts when I rebuilt mine , that included bearings , seals , the afore mentioned u-joints , ball joints, brake pads, break hoses

A shop will charge you that much in labor easily, just for one side.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Front brake lines have already been fixed. Man, you're talkin' about a lotta parts and a LOT of work lol. I would have to read up on all those that you just mentioned, not to mention get tools that I don't have that I need.
I will do all the brake pads at once, not gonna do them two at a time, unless the rear ones are good.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Lift the wheel off the ground, shake it from side to sid, then up and down. If there is any movement or if you can feel/hear any poping then something is broken. Could be a ball joint, tie rod end, or wheel bearing.
If you do feel that loosness then go behind the wheel while someone else shakes it and look for the source of the movment.
This, except use a pry bar to move the wheel straight up and down. It's easier to find ball joint play that way. Rocking it by hand can throw bearing or tie rod play into what you feel and give a false positive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals