• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B3200 PreRunner Build.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
What kind of pipe are you running on the KTM there Shawn?

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Full Ti and Carbon Leo Vince.
~Shawn

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK, small update.

We have been quite busy lately... people love carbon fiber, but i had a few seconds to work on the truck. Iv been wanting to taper the end of my bed sides. Here is what i did, so some of you that may want to cut there beds know what there looking at.

First i taped up how i wanted to cut my bed. The tape is an excellent guide for a straight line and wont let the paint chip off when you use your cutting wheel.

Next i cut the supports on the inside of the bed, so when i made my cut on the exterior of the bed so it would fall right off.

Then i took a flat bar i had laying around clamped it to the bed. I clamped it at the same angle as my desired line i want to cut. This will insured that no "mishaps" would happen and id have a perfect cut. I didnt take a pic of this step on the left side so i took a pic of when i did it on the right side. You get the idea.

So i cut the section off of the bed. You will notice the inner support still attached.

All done. I cut the support out. I then took my DA sander and cleaned up the sharp edges. Then took some clear coat and sprayed just the edges to make sure it wouldn't rust up on me. I plan to paint the truck in the near future. I think it looks good. If i have time i will start my rear bumper this week. I also ordered my Derlin bushings, sleeves, spacers, and radius tabs to make the hinge for my tire gate im going to build.

So i was searching on RPS (RangerPowerSports) in the 2.3L engine tech area and found a pretty cool mod! Took 5min and works great. I was not aware, but the Ranger has a HUGE problem with the throttle cable stretching over time, so you never really notice the power loss. Basically the cable stretches out so you never have wide open throttle. My cable was stretch about 1 1/4"!!!! I did the mod to fix it and i figured i was loosing about 20-25% of throttle opening. What a HUGE difference! I knew the 2.3 was a dog... but man she has some skoot now....
Here is the link... If you havent done it... DO IT!!!
http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159533

More soon
~Shawn
THank you so much for posting the throttle cable fix!!! I had almost 1 1/4 inches of play, and now she's so much faster!

Rogue_Wulff

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Wow, nice build.
My truck looks almost like what you started with, right down to the same color. Someone had previously added 15" factory alloys, but they also retained the factory center caps. I like the way they look, but need to freshen them up a bit. Probably do the grill and front bumper at the same time, since a former owner has already tried (poorly) to respray the bumper/grill. Not sure if I will remove or repair the front valance, as it's torn.
I need to regear the rear, it was just too gutless with the 235/75-15 tires and 3.45 gears, so I dropped down to some 205/65-15's for now. I want to swap in a 9" (or even 8") rear axle with gearing in the 3.73 to 4.10 range and go back with 225/70 or 235/75 all-terrains. Either axle will be more than strong enough for the 2.3L, and get rid of the axle bearings and c-clips that I truely detest in both the 7.5 and 8.8 axles.
Beyond that, perhaps a 2" lift up front to help level the truck, and I'll call it good.

Anyways, just wanted to say thanks for sharing your build.

72BlackonBlack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
*edit*

Last edited:

prerunnerwannabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any updates? Love your truck!

Colton Smith

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998, 1977
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 v6, 6.6l v8
Transmission
Automatic
ive got 31 10.50 r15 on my ranger. it doesnt do bad at all. most of them can handle up to 33"
correct me if I'm wrong
=P

Shawn@BMS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Finally some updates!

About a month ago a lady pulled out in front of me and i ran in to her. Good ol Florida no fault so it was on me to fix my truck. He she was driving a Niassn Rouge. I actually drove on to the car. Lets just day Rouge 0 Mazda 1 . Totaled here car out. I ended up breaking one of my fog lights, broke my grill and dented my hood.

So i got re-inspired with my truck. I bought new 33" Grabbers, new set of Hellas, new grill and a new hood (i haven't painted it yet). One of my sponsors for Supermoto racing dose all my graphics for my bikes/trailer and i kicked the idea to him for some matte black raptor style graphics. The main reason is my passenger side bed is all messed up. When i got the truck the body was really good except that bed side. It just has scrapes all down the bed. SO i figured the graphics would cover most of it up (and did). Hopefully i wont get to much flack for it..... I want bed sides but they cost more to ship to Florida than they actual bed sides.

Before:

Sense i had 1 good fog light i bought 2. Iv been wanting to have 3 total. I think im going to add a hoop over top of the fog lights. Adding 1 more light made such a difference.

I think the graphics look good. Hopefully its not to "Bro" as you west coat guys say.

In the accident one of my steering arms got bent a tad. So the plan is to replace my steering with stock style heim set up. I think im also going to build a small roof basket with a light bar set up. More soon!

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Dude! Sucks that you got hit!

And I must say you have an AWESOME build going on here, I'm definitely going to use this as my guide because I want to do the same exact thing with my front suspension, maybe the same with the rear suspension.

Much props man!!!

And I usually HATE vinyls like that, especially in the side of a car, but I think it really works for your truck, somehow.

Keep up the good work! :icon_cheers:

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Oh BTW do you still have that time bomb of an axle everyone calls a 7.5 back there? Or did you finally find a 8.8?

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Man it looks incredible, I totally dig the graphics. Not too much not too little!

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!

Heavyfire14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i was jus lookin at your build on DR. dude it looks sickk man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome build! Love the bumper.
Hate the graphics. But I'm a raptor fan, so of course I hate them on a ranger :p

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals