• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

axle truss?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok. I'm about to do a 8.8 axle swap into my 87 BII. While I'm relocating perches and shock mounts, I thought about going ahead and doing trusses. I'm trying to decide weather to bother with it, or not. Is it going to be worth the trouble? Do I need them, will I gain anything?
Thanks. I doubt I'll be rock crawling, just occasional rougher offroad. Mostly DD.
Thank:icon_welder:s

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
it never hurts, but the real question would be why?
when you do your 8.8 put a bead of weld around the tubes where they hit the diff housing. they are just pressed in and this will really help. go slow...do a small bit at a time and let it cool... do one side then the other.

but if you just want a truss because....... there's many to choose from.
here's a cool one.
http://www.undercoverfab.com/truss-systems/92-ucf-dana-44-rear-truss-system.html

and another from one of my favorite stores.
a truss wit tabs. you can leave the tabs off and just use the truss.
http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/17_53/products_id/131

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
light offroading, i'd say no. an 8.8 is pretty darn strong. but you could do it anyway, just incase you wanted to do a doubler down the road. what size tires you running?

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
If your gonna swap it in, you might as well do it. Its not that much extra work. Speaking from experience, I have twisted a tube in a 8.8. Granted I do have a doubler, 35's and wheel some pretty crazy trails.

Here is a quick pic of mine... not the fanciest... but it works!

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Did you have your tubes welded to the chunk when it twisted?

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Junkie...
Nope it was just a stock 97 Sploder housing. Now I weld the pumpkin and tubes in a few spots and added a truss for extra precaution.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
10-4.

Yeah the truss definitely doesn't hurt, though I also would say IMO that unless you plan to be jumping it (truss it along the bottom), or building a 4-link suspension (overhead truss like 59's or the ones Guilius posted links to), it's probably something not really needed. For sure do weld the tubes to the chunk though.
Spun tubes is a well-known issue with 8.8s used hard, they only have 3 small plug-welds holding them in.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
when you do your 8.8 put a bead of weld around the tubes where they hit the diff housing.

welding the tubes in your back yard can do little to no good at all. welding mild-steel tubes to a cast-iron housing requires the proper use of pre-heating in the right spots or else it just makes the weld (and the surrounding metal) more brittle than it even was to begin with. i wish i had a dollar for every mustang guy around here who just blasted a bead around his 8.8 tubes. just to tear the diff apart right there before even hitting the 60-foot line at the drag-strip

Last edited:

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Actually, I used Protectic 4026N high nickel alloy rod to weld mine. Its expensive at about $25 dollars a pound and we use it at work on very large diesel engines with cast steel blocks. Only draw back is that it is very hard to find.

Last edited:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
If you plan on abusing it truss it along the bottom. No matter how strong you think your truss is, the fact is it's far more likely to crumple on top than stretch on bottom. If the couple inches of lost clearance are a problem for you get taller meats.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
welding the tubes in your back yard can do little to no good at all. welding mild-steel tubes to a cast-iron housing requires the proper use of pre-heating in the right spots or else it just makes the weld (and the surrounding metal) more brittle than it even was to begin with. i wish i had a dollar for every mustang guy around here who just blasted a bead around his 8.8 tubes. just to tear the diff apart right there before even hitting the 60-foot line at the drag-strip
the center will hold fine when welded, keep trying though.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
And it is cast steel, not iron.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmm, ok, those are some things to consider. I did plan to weld the tubes, and I think I will go ahead and build a truss. Ya never know when I may get adventurouse and need that extra support. I might go top AND bottom, but I haven't seen too many good examples of bottom trusses, mainly "smack plates" or whate ever the really thick gaurds are called.....

59bisquick, does that second pic show the forward support bolting on to the pinion housing?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My budget currently allows me to keep my 29" tires, but plan to run 31" or maybe 33" in the near future. I'm concentrating my resources on mechanical upgrades at the moment. After the 8.8 install, I'll be working on a D35 swap. Then the 4.0 swap.

I already replaced my A4LD with an '94 EXP M5OD. I have my BW1350 E still in the truck, but a BW1354 E sitting on a table, waiting for me to decide when to put it in. (I'd rather go manual, but haven't found one locally yet.) Anyway, going one step at a time. Trying to do it as right as I can, while I'm doing it the first time.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
59bisquik, does that second pic show the forward support bolting on to the pinion housing?
Yes, I used the 3 bolt pattern next to the pinion to attach the truss.

I might go top AND bottom
Most dont truss underneath unless they plan on jumping it, also it limits your ground clearance. I rotated my shock mounts and everything else up so nothing is hanging down to get snagged.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals