• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

any turbo sohc 4.0s out there?

mojavesmostwanted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Mazda,Ford
Engine Size
4.0ohv,4.0ohv,4.0sohc
Transmission
Automatic
just wondering. i have been planing on this for a long time now i have an extra sohc 4.0 to build and im gonna turbo it. i just wanna see if any one else has done it. and what issues they have incounterd.... lets see some pics and feed back:headbang:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
None that I'm aware of but a company called Explorer Express makes a 4.0 SOHC supercharger kit.

Davis

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
SLC eh? Welcome to the boards.

Your most important aspect (and most often overlooked, in part because it's expensive) in this project is the engine management.

The fabricating and plumbing are the easy stuff.

mojavesmostwanted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Mazda,Ford
Engine Size
4.0ohv,4.0ohv,4.0sohc
Transmission
Automatic
ya slc lol... ya im aware of the enging manegment i have a moates device and a wide band o2 to tune it and i have access to a dyno. i have turboed a few hondas and air cooled vws an ls1 sand rail. and your right the fab is the easy part. i have afew ideas for this project. i will be putting the engine in my 89 ranger that im building as a prerunner/sand toy. my thoughts are the sohc is a bettr choice to turbo due to the valve train. getting some higher rpms.....i havent decided if i want twin turbos or just a single... just trying to get some more opinions in my ideas....:icon_cheers:

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
umm i forget where i saw it, but someone put twin turbos I THINK on a 4.0 sohc might of been a single and at like 5psi boost makes like 300rwhp or something..something ridiculous, i would definatelly want to do that if i built my motor more...ill look around and see if i can find that kit.

you rule out supercharge? just not sure where you want your power band? and torque

and depending on how much powre you are putting through this, you gotta build the engine almost crazyy

http://www.idaautomotive.com/changing_over_a_maf_to_a_map_sen.htm

twin turbo put down 314/322 7 lbs of boost (probably an intercooler, and we can probably assume thats at the wheels.)
my lightning m112 v6 put down 281/314 at the wheels 12 lbs of boost (conservative tune, no cooling)

Last edited:

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
there are some people putting 300rwhp with a stock engine for about 2 years or so now..one guy im thinking of

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4

mojavesmostwanted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Mazda,Ford
Engine Size
4.0ohv,4.0ohv,4.0sohc
Transmission
Automatic
it is going to get a full build, w arp fasteners and studs. maybe even o ring the block the rods im lookin at are like 800 bucks. this build up isint going to happen over night but thats why imm planning it all out now....im going to be pushing for more like 450-500ponies- :tease: i want it to make power from like 2000rpms up. this is going to be a desert toy not a daily driver.......... more in put keep it coming thanks every one :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
how are you gonna get 450-500rwhp? the twin turbos is like your only choice i would think, i dont think i have run into anyone runnning that much power through a 4.0

Last edited:

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
my opinion is put a flipping 5.4 in it or something..that will easily make the power that you want, or put a hemi in it..or something, not a 4.0

mojavesmostwanted

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Mazda,Ford
Engine Size
4.0ohv,4.0ohv,4.0sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I don't whant to swap a larger engine in to this truck. If I did that I would have to redo all of the cage work. I have move the 4.0 back 6in and down 3. I have just enough room for the 4.0 in the engine cage and my susspension. I have room out side the cage for turbos and intercooler. I don't want to make this truck real heavy. I'm only thinking if you can get 300 poines out of a stock lightly used 4.0 than why not 450 out of.a twin turbo ported and polished,lightend rotating assemblie,o ringed block,h beam rods with flat top pistons with cams and a good tune. Why dose that sound not achieavable? I mean come on I know of 4 banger hondas that put 550 to the gronnd with a single turbo. Have some faith in the 4.0 I want to do some thing that no one rlse has done befor. I like all the input but a motor swap is out of the question for me. Keep it coming guys thanks.

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Have some faith in the 4.0 I want to do some thing that no one rlse has done befor.
i get that, but thats venturing into the land of unknown if you know what i mean. but if you do it and it works, i might do it..just saying there is nobody really to show you the route on this one

how much money are you ready to drop on this? gonna end up being something like a legit 6,000 bucks to build it so that you can actually use it/not blow up

i change my vote, yes i think its possible, but pay to play here, gonna be big bucks to get that power out of the 4.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals