• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any actual way to reduce spam calls?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
One of my ex's... pretty devout christian... would always answer spam calls with

"Joe's abortion shack, you r*pe em we scrape em!"

Even I would have a hard time with that one 😆
That’s… uh… well, probably fairly effective at getting them to hang up anyway… but yikes, a tad brutal…

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
That’s… uh… well, probably fairly effective at getting them to hang up anyway… but yikes, a tad brutal…
Yeah.. she was nutso lol.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
They get mad enough just telling them to remove you, I'm not quick enough to do that...

The one time I was goofy on the phone since it was a hidden number turns out it was Hospice telling me my dad passed away so I have a hard time being a jerk right off the bat, not that anyone I know is battling anything right now but still...

Annoyingly two calls this morning, first just hung up, second was an indian dude saying something about his records showing my number showed interest in life insurance, I told him I didn't :)

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Still at most 2 calls a day, sometimes a couple days between calls, still usually Indian dudes named Mike or Mark or something... still go with the "I'm extremely uninterested with whatever you are trying to sell, please remove me from your list", most are from Senior Benefits next is American Solar so DO NOT give either any $$

Jazzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Never answer. If it’s important they’ll leave a voicemail.

I was getting 10-15 calls a day a couple of months ago, since then their computers figured out that they got no answers from my number, and I’m only getting 1-2 a week now.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
One of my ex's... pretty devout christian... would always answer spam calls with

"Joe's abortion shack, you r*pe em we scrape em!"

Even I would have a hard time with that one 😆
that's old, first heard it in 1972

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I don't want to not answer, I want no calls, I can deal with one every 2-3 days, when I get a whole bunch my ADD kicks in and I completely lose focus, it was driving me nuts... now that it's all people it's easier to deal with, learning all the robots was a pain and took longer to tell them to screw off...

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Anyone still using an old fashioned telco landline and getting constant scam calls, is basically 10-20yrs overdue for switch to cell service & dumping that expensive telco landline. Monthly cell voice+text+data5gb service can be had for as low as $15/mth, a deceit android unlocked smartphon can be had for $200-300, an android app called "Safest Call Blocker" is free. Refusing to stop using a landline just is refusing to stop being a victim of scammers, old telco's, old age\habits. Have a homebound widower FatherInLaw in that camp; insists on keeping his 60yo landline (has a cellphon but rarely uses it); constantly answering & talking to scammers, despite warnings not to from both my wife+myself and other family members. He says it's just entertainment for him, to see if he can scam the scammers; afraid he's going to give them info that could do some real damage.

Last edited:

BroncLander

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLS Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I just block them. Then my phone doesn't ring if they try to call. It's always similar scams.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Not answering will make them stop calling. Nothing else.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like my landline just fine. I answer all calls with Hello, then wait a second and if they're not talking continue with, leave a message and I'llllll call ya back, then I hang up.
I cannot recall the last trash call I've got

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@scotts90ranger ,
40-50 years ago, in a household of 4 or more the phone may not ring for days. When it did, someone would answer it do to perseived importance.

Today, if my home phone rings and I am near enough, in time I screen it unless I recognize the number. I do not answer my cell if I do not recognize the number. Every once in a blue moon I will put this system to the test...it will be a solicitor 100% of the time.

In summary, I can't blame these people/companies for trying to make a buck, I can blame myself for how I handle it. I have only received (answered) one (1) solicitor/spam phone call in the past 5 years or so. It was about 2 weeks ago when I decided to put my system to the test by answering an unknown number.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I might be winning for now, I think I got 3 calls this week, two indian guys I got cranky with just for fun and one from my homeowners insurance company asking permission to get updated pictures of the structures...

I get the point of screening, my point is I shouldn't HAVE TO, I get that they want to make a buck but the collective money they are wasting of the people they are calling has got to be astronomical... our useless government is probably supporting that system somehow so they can get a new vegan ivory back scratcher (can't use regular ivory since that's racist)

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are basically 4 categories of telephone numbers
Out of service
Rings no answer
Rings and answers, artificial voice recording
Rings and answers, human voice recording
Rings and answers, human real time voice

Computer's dial the numbers, all numbers, its not "random", Cell or Landline doesn't matter
That number is listed as one of the above, with time of day
Lists are sold or traded between services that want access to them

Numbers are called repeatedly over time to see if status changes, i.e. back in service, time of day answers, if real or artificial answering

Its all just data to sell or trade

Certain area codes may be targeted over a few weeks then move on to another area code

Real time human answering numbers are worth the most, even if hostile.
So if you answer a call from a marketing company you will get other calls from that marketing company and others when they sell your number to them, you are the golden goose, lol, to them
And yes they change caller IDs/numbers to avoid being blocked

Seniors are often targeted in this manner, and many do still use Landlines, so yes these numbers can have more spam calls hoping for seniors to answer
Seniors tend to be more polite and because they have lived through so many changes in technology and feel they are out of step with current "things", so if some one calls claiming to be from the government, or credit card, or bank they may take them at their word and give out information they shouldn't

If you want to stop spam calls don't have a phone, literally the only way :)
Less spam calls, never answer if you don't know the number calling
Spam blockers use caller IDs from known exchanges for spam calls, they use data to connect to APP servers to check the caller ID before its allowed to ring thru to your phone

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
This whole thing is BS, the whole list of CEO's of the companies behind this garbage need to be drug behind a septic truck that has an open valve while going down the road with a bunch of tailgating cattle trucks to run over the straglers...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals