• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Always listen to that little voice....

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Piss on that.

This is the first of the old style bearings ive ever lost. Hell rusty #1 has the originals still in it, i think i mighta packed them once.

The bolt on ones are nice, but i dont mind getting greasy to change a 10 dollar set of bearings over paying 250+ to stay clean.
She does have 200k on it and has never had it changed so it really isn't doing THAT bad.

Still incredibly annoying. And you have to mess with the eccentrics for the alignment to change said bearing.

Unit bearings for my F-150 are around $100, hers was $30 for a Timkin.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I just paid 35 for bearings/seals/races for both sides. High quality chinese crap to :D

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I lost the vacuum pump on my '97 F350 on the way back from camping a couple years ago, at the top of the Santiam Pass in Oregon... I don't think I was hauling a camper that year so the combined weight of the truck and load was a mere 14000 pounds I believe... that's where a manual trans and trailer brakes come in... 4th gear and some trailer brakes kept me at 50mph down hill...

My little feeling is usually wrong... usually either easier or harder (the opposite of which I think the problem is)... that and there's too many issues with my rigs that sometimes I ignore a lot...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I lost the vacuum pump on my '97 F350 on the way back from camping a couple years ago, at the top of the Santiam Pass in Oregon... I don't think I was hauling a camper that year so the combined weight of the truck and load was a mere 14000 pounds I believe... that's where a manual trans and trailer brakes come in... 4th gear and some trailer brakes kept me at 50mph down hill...

My little feeling is usually wrong... usually either easier or harder (the opposite of which I think the problem is)... that and there's too many issues with my rigs that sometimes I ignore a lot...

Im the same way. 9/10 i make a mountain from a molehill (like when i seen snot under rusty #1s oil cap, only to realize later is was condensation) or that 10th time i mistake a lake for a puddle (like when the oil pressure gauge in my 97 kept dropping to "L", thought, "eh damn gauge", but then a bottom end later...)

That being said though, i ignore alot of issues but am very anal about noises, engine misses, and trans issues. I dont give a camel shit what something looks like (generally), how it stops, or steers, or whats coming out the tailpipe (or, some exhaust pipe), but if i dont think im getting 100% go it drives me insane,

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just paid 35 for bearings/seals/races for both sides. High quality chinese crap to :D
But you didn't get to do all this fun stuff + blow the old race off the hub with the torch now did you? :icon_confused:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
But you didn't get to do all this fun stuff + blow the old race off the hub with the torch now did you? :icon_confused:

Nope, cant say that i did. I havent even touched mine yet lol.

I put the 97 back into service. Noticed its losing brake fluid (slowly), and the 77 also loses brake fluid (as quick as you pump the pedal)

You'd think outta 3 damn vehicles ONE would stay glued togther.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That's part of the reason I have 5 for 2 people... Ranger, two V8 explorers, '97 power stroke, and the Geo Tracker... almost always at least one down... tracker has a blown head gasket right now and has for a year... I'll get there... Ranger leaks a bunch of oil out the turbo and has alignment issues, Explorers leak some oil out the back of the engines on the exhaust somewhere and F350 doesn't have a speedo over 35mph right now and needs a turbo...

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That's part of the reason I have 5 for 2 people... Ranger, two V8 explorers, '97 power stroke, and the Geo Tracker... almost always at least one down... tracker has a blown head gasket right now and has for a year... I'll get there... Ranger leaks a bunch of oil out the turbo and has alignment issues, Explorers leak some oil out the back of the engines on the exhaust somewhere and F350 doesn't have a speedo over 35mph right now and needs a turbo...
Its just me and the wife, and she wont touch any of them, so im the sole driver at a 3:1 ratio. Lol.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
I must be the odd man out with wheel bearings, mine always seem to looses up when they wipe out.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
talk about deja view....thought that picture of the ranger going on the ramp truck was mine! just got dropped off by AAA. about 25 miles, this time.
when i bought the 88, the kid said it would just die sometimes. today it did for the first time. sat for over an hour waiting on the hook. when he showed, the damn truck started right up. had him tow me anyway, just in case.
cause unknown but i'm pretty sure it's some kind of contagious mechanical disease because my 95 ranger does the same thing; dies out like it's got no gas, sits, then fires right up. days gone by i would say it was vapor lock but i don't think electric fuels can get vapor lock

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
talk about deja view....thought that picture of the ranger going on the ramp truck was mine! just got dropped off by AAA. about 25 miles, this time.
when i bought the 88, the kid said it would just die sometimes. today it did for the first time. sat for over an hour waiting on the hook. when he showed, the damn truck started right up. had him tow me anyway, just in case.
cause unknown but i'm pretty sure it's some kind of contagious mechanical disease because my 95 ranger does the same thing; dies out like it's got no gas, sits, then fires right up. days gone by i would say it was vapor lock but i don't think electric fuels can get vapor lock
My old 87 (Rusty #1) did the exact same thing, it was the ignition module. Only time in 22 years of abuse and 300,000 miles it left me sittin.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
where would i find this 'ignition module?' and is it the same on a 95 2.3 as on an 88 2.9?
this has been driving me crazy....or NOT driving me... only happens when it is hot out, and in florida when isn't it hot? in the 95 i keep several fuel pump relays but changing them did not solve the problem

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
On the 2.9 its back on the distributor, little grey thing with a plug running to it. Not sure if the 2.3 still used one in 95.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
2.3L is probably the crank sensor or DIS module if it has one... the DIS is basically the same thing as the TFI module that is mounted on the distributor but they aren't quite as known for the issue... I had a crank sensor go out like that, sat for an hour and it started right up...

Rusty, I'll rephrase that a little, all but the '98 Eddie Bauer explorer are solely driven by myself... so that's 4:1 :)

And just to put it out there, it is definitely possible to vapor lock a fuel injected engine... it is not common on older ones that have a regulator and return line on the opposite end of the fuel rail from the inlet, but the "returnless" systems that have the regulator near the fuel tank can get vapor buildup after the fuel pump or in the fuel pump (again, not common with a fuel pump in the tank, but in my world where I deal with boats, in tank pumps aren't an option). When you shut down a hot engine, the engine compartment gets hotter than the 135F or thereabouts that normal E10 boils at and you have vapor that the fuel pump will not pump... Not likely your issue, but hey...

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I have never heard of EFI getting the vapors, but i guess its possible.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals