• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

adsm08's Ranger build up

What design should i put on my diff cover

• Blue Oval

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • A face (gimme more specific ideas)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Words (gimme a specific idea)

• Other (gimme a specific idea)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You should post those experiences so us intellectually changed, learn by ruining the part the first attempt people don't feel so bad lol
I would, but it would require video, not photo.

Minor update tonight. Got some new lug nuts.

I just didn't get enough:

Somewhere in my addled little mind, in the debilitated state I was in last weekend, 4 packs of 4 lug nuts was enough for all the studs on a Ranger.

But it's enough to get my center caps back on. I have the other 4 ordered. Pretty good deal, black nickle plate McGaurds for $11 a pack.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Ok, I went and found a wire that had a pin to fit the connector and hooked it to one of the other power line, popped it in place, and then got a puff of smoke when I turned it on.
The last time that a POOF happened to me, after the smoke cleared, a small chicken feather was laying against the glass lense INSIDE the Amp gauge....never did figure that out.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Snow time boys.

First good snow since the overhaul was done so I went out and played. I put it sideways across the road once, and only used the 4x4 for a few hundred feet of the 4 miles I went. Up the road, down the road, snownuts in the church parking lot, farther down the road, around the corner and then across the road.

Had the tires packed up by then and I was starting out up a hill, so I had to lock in 4x4 to get moving.

Poser pics after play time.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Unexpected upgrade today.

We had a beat to crap 95 Ranger traded in last week, yesterday before it got run over to the "bone yard" to wait to be hauled off the the real bone yard I nabbed to stuff off it.

Grabbed the owner's manual, the jack, it had a set of 10" drum shoes NIB in the back seat, oh yeah, and this was in the bed...

No keys, but I looked it up online, I can get replacements for $5. Found a starter, some plug wires and a cam senor/syncro in the box.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Nice!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Not a bad score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, I am pretty happy about it.

I was going to try and sell it because I never liked bed boxes because I don't like not having the full bed, but it just looks right in there. Plus it only weighs like 5 lbs, so if I need to get it out of the way I can.

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
just read all 21 pages you sure have made this truck your own sir!!

Last edited:

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Also, I have to odd tick with it running, but I'm not sure what it is. I'm not even sure it is something to worry about. If all else was correct I might think it was lifter tick, but it isn't missing at all, so I have to think I am getting full valve lift. Also, I don't have any exhaust hooked up after the Y-pipe, so yeah, it's loud and hard to hear anything really well. For all I can tell it might just be really loud injectors. It might also be in the exhaust, and something that I can only hear because the cats and mufflers aren't hooked up yet. It's just so dang loud from the open exhaust that it is hard to tell.

Did you ever figure this out?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
just read all 21 pages you sure have made this truck your own sir!!
Funny you should say that. I picked these little gems up at the play ground (reads "junk yard") Saturday. I just feel that they are a bit more appropriate than the XLT badges now.

Also, I have to odd tick with it running, but I'm not sure what it is. I'm not even sure it is something to worry about. If all else was correct I might think it was lifter tick, but it isn't missing at all, so I have to think I am getting full valve lift. Also, I don't have any exhaust hooked up after the Y-pipe, so yeah, it's loud and hard to hear anything really well. For all I can tell it might just be really loud injectors. It might also be in the exhaust, and something that I can only hear because the cats and mufflers aren't hooked up yet. It's just so dang loud from the open exhaust that it is hard to tell.

Did you ever figure this out?
I think I had a partially plugged up lifter. I dropped half a can of seafoam in the oil and drove around town doing some other errands on my way to the shop the last time I changed the oil. It is still there if I let it sit for a few days, but it is greatly diminished since that.

If you have a top end noise and some miles on the engine I would suspect the push rods are foot-balled. I knew that wasn't likely on mine because I replaced them as part of the rebuild, since the original rods in mine were really bad.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
mushroomed pushrods are much different sounding then loud injectors, more like a sewing machine noise where the injectors click.

most of the click noise is injectors, it rarely changes with temperature where the mushroomed rods change with cold/warm start and fresh oil change.

its a ranger still at least..... my truck is a frankenpig thingy thingish thing.

you should hear some of the leo comments. i still call it a ranger, even though i know its a jeep.

and this should be on the diff cover.:thefinger::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

front and rear.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
New toy arrived today. Hoping to have it installed this week.

31-spline Torsen unit, only $125. The current clutch-type carrier will be thrown in the wife's Explorer when I rebuild the rear.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Work had to wait until Saturday evening because I needed the truck Saturday morning, and then was out of town until mid afternoon.

Got home, tore everything apart quickly, then hurried down to the shop to press the new carrier bearings on and get the ring swapped. Didn't have time for a bunch of pics of that.

Here is the boy helping daddy build the truck:

And ta-da!! Torsen!

Of course the shims I need are now drastically different. No preload what so ever on my side bearings, I can slip the shims in and out, and have about .020" play side to side in the carrier, .017" backlash with the carrier held all the way over, so I need to take the shims in tomorrow and mic them, find out what I need to get her set up correctly again.

Backlash before disassembly was about 10.5 or so. That's taking the average of three spots around the ring.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Work had to wait until Saturday evening because I needed the truck Saturday morning, and then was out of town until mid afternoon.

Got home, tore everything apart quickly, then hurried down to the shop to press the new carrier bearings on and get the ring swapped. Didn't have time for a bunch of pics of that.

Here is the boy helping daddy build the truck:

And ta-da!! Torsen!

Of course the shims I need are now drastically different. No preload what so ever on my side bearings, I can slip the shims in and out, and have about .020" play side to side in the carrier, .017" backlash with the carrier held all the way over, so I need to take the shims in tomorrow and mic them, find out what I need to get her set up correctly again.

Backlash before disassembly was about 10.5 or so. That's taking the average of three spots around the ring.

I'm just worried about getting the C-clips back in once she is set up. It's a pretty tight fit as it is, not sure I have the clearance to move the carrier .007" to the passenger side to get the driver's C-clip in. I already can't get them in if I have a wheel stud between 11:00 and 1:00.

I am thinking about shaving the clips a bit on the bench grinder.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So she's been running poorly for a few weeks now, rough idle, misfires at cruise, worse an accel. Plugs, wires and coil were all new Motorcraft parts less than 10K miles ago, so I assumed injectors. Found some reman Bosch units on eBay for $100, and once USPS was done losing my stuff and delivered them 3 days late I ran down to the shop and installed 6 brandy-new-ish bright yellow injectors. Now she is smooth as a baby's bottom. A little hiccup still, which I think is just slightly fouled plugs, gonna run an induction cleaning through before I leave work tomorrow night. We just got this new stuff from Valvoline, it's pretty BA.

Also, while I was down at work I threw these on:

My deep thanks to MikeR for cluing me in to the fact that these were even available. I had given up hope of finding any good ones, and here is my original passenger side:

My driver's side was still intact, but moss was growing on the back side of the glass.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals