• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Adaptable Transmission for a 3.0

ZynEnthusiast

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1992 3.0 with a A4LD 2wd. Currently the A4LD has a slippage on the 2-3 shift and in doing my research on it, it has come to my attention that the A4LD is quite the troublesome transmission. I'm looking for possible swaps that will bolt right up (Auto/Manual), or with a simple adapter plate. Maybe even a fix to the 2-3 slip. I'm currently trying to make it into a reliable gas saving daily, but the transmission is worrisome, my current daily gets 8-10 mpg highway. Any help is greatly appreciated.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Do you have the money to get it rebuilt? Here are some excerpts from the tech section on this site.

While the A4LD has gotten a bad rap, it is actually a good strong transmission. The newest version is still an A4LD, it just goes by another name due to the fact that it is completely computer controlled, and has a 5th gear.

There are modifications and upgrades available to this tranny. Better grade clutches and bands, better converters with improved lock-up clutches and brazed fins (stock converters were known for clutch failures, which takes out the entire trans), welded planetary cages, shift kits, and the ability to upgrade a non 4.0 tranny to 4.0 specs makes this tranny very versatile. At its strongest (off-road race application), these transmissions are holding up to V6's making in excess of 300hp. Once the engines get much higher than that (depends on usage) the main shafts will start bending.

When having an A4LD rebuilt, there are a couple of things that you need to make sure of. First and foremost, do not let a shop do a soft parts fix only (clutches, servos, and bands). This will almost ensure that you will have another repair needed right after the 1-year warranty is out. Other things you want to have replaced are: forward one-way clutch (always), overdrive drum (stamped tin, replace if out of round or heat damaged), pump (Ford only, rebuilds are prone to failure), and the converter (get the better converter with the improved lock-up clutch and brazed fins). Also, get references from the shop and call the people. Just because they can rebuild TH350's and C4's does not mean they know what they are doing with overdrive trannies.

One of the best things you can do for your auto tranny is get the largest, aftermarket, stacked plate cooler you can fit behind your grille. The factory cooler is marginal at best, due to its being tied in with your radiator. Remember, with that set-up, if you overheat your engine, you will overheat your tranny. Heat is the biggest enemy of the automatic transmission. Change your fluid and filter every year, or every 12-15,000 miles if used hard. Use ONLY the fluid recommended by Ford. Only use synthetic fluid if it is required by Ford. With proper maint., these transmissions should last well over 100,000 miles. - Gloria Roozen.

ZynEnthusiast

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have the money to get it rebuilt? Here are some excerpts from the tech section on this site.

From what you quoted from the tech section, it seems like it would be quite a bit more money to get it rebuilt, upgrade the converter, upgrade the bands, clutches etc, just to get the reliability and performance some may want. For what I'm going for I'm not looking to push power or do any crazy Pre-Runner build with it being 2wd. Just some little single cab white ranger a grampa would drive on the farm. From what the tech section is saying, just a rebuild, new converter and cooler would be all from a reliability standpoint?

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Having an automatic transmission rebuilt is expensive without all those upgrades. Those added on will certainly make it alot more costly. These days with how things are who knows what parts are available and the cost of them? The adapter plate, not sure if there is one for the 3.0 transmission. These engines are a unique design from ford.

The 3.0 is horrible when mated to a automatic transmission. You have the resources and knowledge, I would find a 91-97 3.0 ranger with a good 5spd manual transmission. Get that, brake and clutch pedal assembly, you may need the wiring for the manual, that should be from 91-94 3.0 ranger, as it is obd1..95 is obd2. The wiring may be different, not sure. You will need a ecm from a 91-92 3.0 ranger. An auto pcm won't work for a manual transmission. Would be great if you found a 91-92 3.0 5spd ranger, that way you get it all from the same truck. Then a clutch of your choice. You should also change the steering column, unless the auto shifter would bother you..

You get all those parts and maybe a few extra..all that will be 1/4 to 1/2 of what it would cost for the auto rebuild with those upgrades.

These engines are so much better with a 5spd than an automatic.

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Yes it is. Been thinking about the pedal assembly. I would look at the 87 to 92 rangers as it would be your better choice. In 93 when the ranger cab was increased in size, that may affect the pedals. I would say any ranger from 87 to 92 will be a guarantee fit. The pedal assembly from any 2.3 or 2.9 ranger will work.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
A 3.0 is never going to be a fuel sipper, unfortunately. Same power as a 4cyl, with the thirst of a 4 litre.

The time and money you could spend fixing this current truck may be better spent by selling said current truck and getting yourself into a 2.3.. either auto or manual. I always got mid-high 20's in my old 2.3s.. not bad for a vehicle that's literally closer to being as aerodynamic as a semi truck than a civic..

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
The 3.0 can be good on gas if driven correctly and having a 5spd. When this is not up in the proper rpm range, power and fuel are considered it to suck. Hence the reason they are considered a 2.3 power with 4.0 gas mileage. When ford did an auto behind this engine in the ranger the pcm was a low tune. Which if shifted way to soon making the 3.0 seem gutless. I've driven many 3.0 automatic rangers, and they do suck. When I got into my 94 3.0 5spd, what a difference. I still recommend a 5spd swap into your 92. In the long you will be glad you did.

The only way I would own a 3.0 automatic is in a 90's Taurus, driven lots of those and they get up and moved fairly quickly.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the right gearing, some minor efficiency mods, and a light foot you could possibly crack 20mpg in that truck.
The 4 cyl trucks will be much better options for fuel efficiency though. My 01 duratec/manual truck got 30mpg highway.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
decent re-mans are around 2 grand shipped just for the unit....

if you can find a local builder that knows the units well....they will put you together something installed for about that price....2-2500 with a solid warranty.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The A4LD was used from 1985 thru 2011 in Rangers and other Fords
So a 26 year run, so nothing at all wrong with the transmission
A4LD was 1985 thru 1994
4R55E was 1995 thru 2000, had a different valve body
5R55E was 2001 thru 2011, had an extra sensor on the outside
Same internal parts

The main problem with the A4LD was transmission shops at the time had NEVER EVER seen an Overdrive automatic, it was close to the first one, AOD was first, 1980-2014, for full size trucks
Same fate suffered as the AOD, poor rebuilds or repairs
Both got a bad rap

In any case you don't need to "upgrade" anything unless you will be heavily off-roading or racing
Just a proper rebuild will get you 200k miles at least
Poor rebuild, 12 to 18months at most
If you don't get at least a 2 year warranty from any trans shop walk away

Yes, an M5R1(M5OD-R1) manual from a 2WD 3.0l Ranger or Mazda B3000 will work for you
M5R1 does not have a detachable bell housing so each M5R1 is engine specific
1991 to 1997 will have speedometer cable hook up, 1998 and up will not

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
[QUOTE="RonD, post: 1992489, member:
[/QUOTE]

In 1995 ford started using the non speedo cable on the manual transmission. The 1994 rangers were the last year to use the speedo cable.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
The A4LD was used from 1985 thru 2011 in Rangers and other Fords
So a 26 year run, so nothing at all wrong with the transmission
A4LD was 1985 thru 1994
4R55E was 1995 thru 2000, had a different valve body
5R55E was 2001 thru 2011, had an extra sensor on the outside
Same internal parts

The main problem with the A4LD was transmission shops at the time had NEVER EVER seen an Overdrive automatic, it was close to the first one, AOD was first, 1980-2014, for full size trucks
Same fate suffered as the AOD, poor rebuilds or repairs
Both got a bad rap

In any case you don't need to "upgrade" anything unless you will be heavily off-roading or racing
Just a proper rebuild will get you 200k miles at least
Poor rebuild, 12 to 18months at most
If you don't get at least a 2 year warranty from any trans shop walk away

Yes, an M5R1(M5OD-R1) manual from a 2WD 3.0l Ranger or Mazda B3000 will work for you
M5R1 does not have a detachable bell housing so each M5R1 is engine specific

for daily driving i would rather have an auto...
i have to agree....in this guys application...just find a shop that deals with them and go there.

but...the life span that ford used it being an indicator of it actually being an ok transmission... i dont agree with.

low....low power...meh...for reliability. you can not expect them to make it to 200k. 250 k is MY benchmark...so that is pure subjective crap...but my main range as to whether or not something is worth owning.... because 60 k per year is easy for me to do..... which of course....250k is three times as far as ford needs it to go....so that is a thing.

just like the 6.2 diesel.....the a4ld...is a long lived pile of garbage....there is nothing about it that is good....unless used in a tiny miniscule range. these things have a well deserved bad reputation...they can be built to last a bit in certain applications. but a supercharged 4.0 and a4ld will not be reliable.

the 5r55 is improved in ways that work...still low power. these can take some longer term abuse from a supercharged 4.0... the high power units that they tried to put behind v8s was a total disaster....there are 4 versions of these iirc...

the early case aod needed alot of work to be used with anything more then 40-50 hp over stock power. for the 80's it was on the margins....but they made some serious improvements in lube in 88-89 that was desperately needed even for those nutless engines. when it went computer controlled it was a game changer to be sure. the 2 in band and diode sprag really made for reliability.

the 6r80 otoh.... made up for these earlier units. of course...there were issues...but they at least offer ideal range and actual capacity for power handling ....

and the irony....is they are perfect for lower power engines...because they have so much range. i am actually thinking of fixing the shortcomings of the 6.x diesel with the 6r80. ultimate turd polishing.

of course it, the 6r80 or 60 uses too much power to make it worth adapting to a 3.0..so...thats a no go....

but the a4ld....as long as a good builder works on it though....you will be fine. but that 2k build tag for a trans that may have to go in a few times for adjustments...for an old 2000 dollar truck, is a bitter pill.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In 1995 ford started using the non speedo cable on the manual transmission. The 1994 rangers were the last year to use the speedo cable.
Yes, 1995 was first year for electric speedometer, and speedometer cable itself was no longer there but the hook up was still there thru 1997 on 2WD transmissions and 4WD transfer cases

Ford started using these "combo units" in the mid 1980's to give Computers a speed signal and eventually for Cruise speed signal

Speedo cable and VSS hook up using the age old worm and driven gear, this was used thru 1997

In 1998 to 2000 Rangers got the odd "lets share the rear axle ABS sensor to do speed", lol
So hole in the tail shaft housing wasn't drilled out any more, on automatics the worm gear is still there, it was machined onto the output shaft
So you could drill out the hole and use it but............just get a 1991-1997

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
get the five speed. i test drove a 3.0 with automatic and it was horrible. then when we got our current ranger with 3.0 and five speed, i didn't realize it was a v6 since i got it from my uncle and never popped the hood. this truck gets excellent gas mileage for a v6 mid sized truck and is fun to drive, but it only does all taht with the five speed standard transmission.

i drive mine between 80 and 85 and get 19mpg on highway only trips. i cannot tell you the city mileage because i never have only city driving but its usually combined 16to17 when i do check it with city mixed into the equation.

but the stick is the only way i would ever get a 3.0 or a 4 cylinder ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals