• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A few questions....

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
The e303 can be used with a carb and manual or auto tranny. The b303 is to be used with a FI setup.

I know on flat tappet blocks you have to replace the lifters. Now on a roller, I know it may be recommended, but do you have to do the same? I also want to avoid changing valve springs.

Not going for high HP here, but decent and HO.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay so from what I am reading I need to get a distributor for a 1985 Mustang GT 5.0 5 speed since my engine is a roller block and I plan on going to carb. And it doesnt matter if its a HO cam or not as long as it is a roller cam correct?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The e303 can be used with a carb and manual or auto tranny. The b303 is to be used with a FI setup.
:nono::nono: You can use any of the Ford alphabet cams with a carb. And with either transmission. I've run the B cam with 1.7 rockers with a carb and a manual transmission. I've also run the Z303 with a carb (three actually with a 3x2 setup) and a C-4 transmission with a less than 2000 stall converter. You can also run a carb with Ford's O.E. roller cams, I've run the base roller, HO and the F4TE cam with a carb.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Okay so from what I am reading I need to get a distributor for a 1985 Mustang GT 5.0 5 speed since my engine is a roller block and I plan on going to carb. And it doesnt matter if its a HO cam or not as long as it is a roller cam correct?
That depends on how wild a cam you choose. For a 4x4 I'd stick with nothing larger than a B or E cam and 1.7 rockers. An F4TE with 1.7 rockers would be even better for a 4x4

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I checked into a B303, couldn't find a vid at all on youtube of anything packing one idling all that great. They sounded awesome... just not for a 4x4.

I kinda like them to idle nice and smooth. If I was dealing with a 2wd street machine or a Stang... game on.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want to keep my current valve springs and heads which are the E6ES heads. I don't want to mess with the heads.

If I change cams do I have to change the current lifters?

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Roller lifters are interchangeable with different cams. No problem there.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks that saves me some time and money.

Also thinking about running an oil cooler since I have one in my garage. Now should it be put before or after the oil filter, I cant remember which it is or if it really matters.

Also where exactly did you that have done this swap mount your remote oil filter bracket at?

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I had that kind of money I would. May just end up going with the current factory setup for these engines since my JY around me have them sitting. I know of a couple grand marquis just sitting and arent going anywhere anytime soon, unless there are other older models that have the short front dress setup on them. Im going for as cheap as possible. I have no problem pushing the rad. forward if I have to.

Another queston I have is I currently have a 2.8 rad that is is AC one in my truck (think its 2.5 core) and wonder if it would work for my v8 swap. I think I have read that they have the same outlets as 2.9 and 3.0 and maybe 4.0 and have heard that all of those have been used on v8 swaps. I do plan on going with an electric fan too from a tarus. BTW anybody have a year on the taruses that I should look for these fans and what there engine size is too?

Right now I am dealing with brake issues as of last night and hopefully after work tomorrow get that solved and fixed.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I had that kind of money I would. May just end up going with the current factory setup for these engines since my JY around me have them sitting. I know of a couple grand marquis just sitting and arent going anywhere anytime soon, unless there are other older models that have the short front dress setup on them. Im going for as cheap as possible. I have no problem pushing the rad. forward if I have to.

Another queston I have is I currently have a 2.8 rad that is is AC one in my truck (think its 2.5 core) and wonder if it would work for my v8 swap. I think I have read that they have the same outlets as 2.9 and 3.0 and maybe 4.0 and have heard that all of those have been used on v8 swaps. I do plan on going with an electric fan too from a tarus. BTW anybody have a year on the taruses that I should look for these fans and what there engine size is too?

Right now I am dealing with brake issues as of last night and hopefully after work tomorrow get that solved and fixed.
My stock A/C automatic 2.8 radiator is half as thick as my A/C automatic 4.0 Explorer radiator. If you are going to do a lot of low speed crawling (especially with A/C on) even that might not be enough.

I don't think I could get that pivot bolt out even with the backside of the radiator flush with the radiator support. It will work where it is if you run a pusher fan.

That Explorer front dress is a steal, I have about that much in the actual brackets and new pulleys... and I had to get a new timing cover and water pump to boot (and have yet to check the alternator) I did get the power steering pump and tank though for what little that is worth.

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay this question may be best if asked in the guages section but also has to do with v8 swap. What is everybody running for the guage on thier truck for their speedo when they did thier v8 swap? I assume the factory ranger speedo cable wont work on a full size tranny (it may dont know). The speedo is the only one that I am worried about, the others are no biggy and easy to get working.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay this question may be best if asked in the guages section but also has to do with v8 swap. What is everybody running for the guage on thier truck for their speedo when they did thier v8 swap? I assume the factory ranger speedo cable wont work on a full size tranny (it may dont know). The speedo is the only one that I am worried about, the others are no biggy and easy to get working.
They have used the same speedo drive since the 50's, it may have a different gear inside of whatever transfer case you use requiring you to change the gear on the cable to keep it reading right.

The other gauges will work fine, if you have a factory tach it takes a little work but can be made to read "close"

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ill get the gear from the transfercase that I plan on running (np205) and go from there. My speedo currently reads 8mph slow.

I have an aftermarket tach on my truck and plan on using the current duraspark ignition to run the engine, until I decide to go msd, and all should work fine. Just have to take my tach off it mounting bracket and put the switch on the v8 setting (was first at 4 cylinder, now 6 and soon to max it out to v8 one day).

I need to get in contact with my bro in law to get the 4 barrel intake and carb (ford factory) off of him, bet he will be really motivated to get those to me since the holidays are comming up real fast and extra money is a nice thing to have.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals