• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A few questions....

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I looked up the timing cover for the 91 marquie and all of them said it was reverse rotation on the parts sites, O.E or performance ones.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All the parts sites say that the 91 marquie have reverse rotaion pumps and that is all that is avalible, O.E or performance wise.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
They must have done that right at the end of the 5.0 in them then. I know in late 88, they switched to an aluminum std rotation pump and I was pretty sure they carried that all the way to 91. In 92, they switched body styles and went with the 4.6's

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And since I wanna go HO, just get a Mustang HO dizzy IIRC. Going to go with the duraspark setup (if possible that is going HO) since thats what my truck has already and maybe go MSD later. Suggestions on a dizzy for the duraspark setup?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
All the parts sites say that the 91 marquie have reverse rotaion pumps and that is all that is avalible, O.E or performance wise.
It's standard rotation with 2 serpentine belts. I have a box full of bolts that goes to a couple of those front end dresses, I will try and get it assembled before hand so that it's not a puzzle when you get it.

Sorry I haven't replied, thought you were going to let me know when you could get here. :D Anytime is fine, I will be around all day - just let me know.

Edit:

It's a Grand Marquis engine :) - That's probably why you're only finding a reverse flow timing cover, but I am not familiar with those cars to know if that's what they had for sure. The one on there now should be equivalent to the Dorman P/N 635-102. But all of the stores list both a standard and a reverse flow timing cover. I do know what is on there now is standard rotation.

Edit:

'85 Mustang 5.0 HO with manual trans (steel gear) will work with your duraspark setup and a roller cam. I have a duraspark dist, but it has a cast gear and a TFI dist with a steel gear, but they are not interchangeable. =/

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I looked it up, I looked for Grand Marquis. I have heard that reverse is the better way to go. Will have to look into how (or is somebody can chime in on) how to go single belt and not just go the exploder way, they arent in my local JY, they mainly carry older vehicles but will keep it in the back of my mind too.

Going to go get my engine hoist from my bro in law tomorrow so that I can get it out of the bed of my buddies truck when I do get it home. He wants to leave early in the morning since it will take 2.5-3 hours to get there. Saddly you will get to see his truck in person and not mine, 10mpg will kill me bad and the longest nonstop trip I have taken in mine was to the ranger meet in Avon. Back and forth there ate 7/8 of a tank (17 gallon tank).

Im not 100% sure if I want to go the HO way or not, money will tell me when I get to that point in time, cam will be the last thing that I buy, just plan on buying parts for her over the winter. Is 150hp enough or is more needed...I assume my current rear end can handle it fine but jumping up to 200hp, then Im having to look at going to an exploder 8.8 rear end.

Oh ya cant forget, suggestions on an intake. Want to go 4 barrel. Plans for the driving conditions are DD/trailing and mud a bit but also have SOME fuel economy...suggestions? I have a summit magazine but it doesnt give a clear enough responce to these kind of questions.

Its one of those things that I wont know until Im at that point in time. I still have to think about a tranny and I know what transfercase i want, np205 and dual stick it!!!!

I think Im having to do more research then when I did my SAS.

And remember this is all being done on a budget but saftey is still number one on the list.

Please continue the input, ANY and ALL is welcome.

Just saw that this was my 4,000 post :woot:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You're not going to be making near enough power to warrant using an NP205. Not to mention how big and heavy the sumbitch is.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As far as going HO, my used '89 cam was $35 off of craigslist. Supposedly only has 60k miles on it and I am sure was only driven by an old lady to church and the grocery store. Looks good though. :D From there you just have to move the plug wires around.

With 31's, 3.73's and whatever my 150hp CV engine is running is probably enough... a little more never hurt though. Easier to do on the stand with everything off of the engine than after the fact when everything is on the engine. I do have an 8.8 I need to put mounts on and install in the truck though.

The Weiand Stealth is a good decent priced intake if you want to go new, mine was something like $160 from Summit. Pitch their catalog (they hardly put Ford stuff in them) and go to their website.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im not worried about the weight of the np205. As far as not having enough power for it, I should have plenty, I just want the dual stick. Not like Im going to be using the low all the time anyways.

I figure if Im going to build my truck, may as build her the way I want to now.

As far as intake, yes i want to go new on it, Ill look up the one that you have and go from there.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the 302 today!!!! Pics are on page 48 (currently my last page) of my build thread if anybody wants to see it.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
A waste of $60 (including the shipping) Flat tappet grind LO-Po Not much different from the Crown Vic roller cam you've already got.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I would look for something more like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-0-roller-camshaft-Ford-Mustang-F150-Explorer-5-8-cam-302-351W-Firing-13726548-/280772619915?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item415f5a2e8b

But keep looking, I think he is nuts for putting cams on that rough cement like that. Would definitely consider having a shop polish a used camshaft. Don't buy the first thing you find, always seems like a couple weeks or months you stumble across something. But definitely want to stick with a roller camshaft.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So all that cam does is just make it so that the firing order can be put to HO?

Anybody have suggestions on a good DD/trail/mudding HO cam (or a link to one)? If it helps going to be putting on a Ford factory 4 barrel intake and carb.

EDIT you posted that right as i did. I saw that and thought the same about putting it on concrete.
When it comes to cams Im not all that knowledged about them.

Last edited:

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what about a b303 or e303 cam?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals