• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A few questions....

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The 300 flywheel may be the same diameter as the 302's but it cannot be used on a 302 as there's no counterweight. If you have block plates for both diameter flywheels, it's a simple matter of figuring out which flywheel diameter you need. Then there's the matter of the pressure plate bolt pattern, a pressure plate for an 11" clutch will not bolt up to a flywheel with a 10" or 10.5" pressure plate pattern. You can however use a 10 or 10.5" clutch disc with an 11" pressure plate, but the reverse is not true.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
From what info had been provided and the spots that my flywheel have, I can go with either a 10 or 11, but I will double check on that, but I'm sure I can use the one that I found on ebay.

As for flywheel, I bought a new one for an 87 f150 with a 5.0 do all is good there. I was just really wondering in the end if the 11 inch pressure plate fingers are longer and if they would take more to release then the 10 inch one as I have heard and read some people have had clutch releasing issues and want to avoid a much as I can on that.

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I don't think you're going to find an O.E Ford flywheel that has a dual bolt pattern to have the luxury of choosing between a 10 or 11 inch pressure plate. Hell, I doubt you'll find an aftermarket wheel that'll do that either. You're going to have to go with the size pressure plate your flywheel requires.

skx762

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm under the same gun for mine I guess. The truck I got the trans from was indeed a 1984 300 f150. I snagged the 10" clutch and plate just in case. The flywheels I am looking at on-line appear to have more than one bolt patternas in:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-6o2oa?itemIdentifier=628831_0_9284_

I guess I will just buy a flywheel for mine and see what shakes out of the tree. I don't really see us needing an 11 with a Ranger but you can never have too much I guess.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If I remember right, mind has holes for all three types of flywheels, will look later at it and will post pics of it.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Heres a picture of my flywheel, has 2 different hole locations, the bigger holes, 6 of them evenly spaced around the flywheel, are threaded and the other smaller ones arent. Now to me thats telling me that I could have either the 10 or 11 inch clutch and maybe the 10.5 if it shares one of the sets of holes with the 10 or 11 inch clutch.

This is part number FW9710 from autozone, same flywheel shared by the 84 302 and the 87-91 302 and all are 164 tooth count, only one that was avalible for a manual transmission from them.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After a bit more research and looking on some f150 forums, I can run either the 10 or 11 inch due to I have both types of holes drilled in my flywheel for either. So I went ahead and ordered the 10 inch off ebay.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Heres a picture of my flywheel, has 2 different hole locations, the bigger holes, 6 of them evenly spaced around the flywheel, are threaded and the other smaller ones arent. Now to me thats telling me that I could have either the 10 or 11 inch clutch and maybe the 10.5 if it shares one of the sets of holes with the 10 or 11 inch clutch.

This is part number FW9710 from autozone, same flywheel shared by the 84 302 and the 87-91 302 and all are 164 tooth count, only one that was avalible for a manual transmission from them.
I bet you have at least three different bolt paltterns there. Lot of the after market flywheels were also drilled for the old Borg and Beck three finger clutch plate. All the holes should be drilled except the three that align the clutch with dowel pins. The late style diaphram clutch takes metric bolts while the others are SAE, be careful.
Dave

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats next on my todo list after the clutch arrives, find the correct bolts for the clutch and make a list of what other hardware is going to be needed for the swap.

Can a ranger trans cross member be used with a fullsize trans? I know more or less it can with a few mods done to it plus I have a full size one, minus the sides that connect to the frame due to it was cut out of the donor, and maybe make a hybrid of the two.

The guy that is selling me the intake is going to be sending me a money request on paypal and I will be gong from there. As soon as that is done he will be shipping it out to me Monday and should be to me Tuesday. Basiclly buttoning up the last few details of buying an intake.

Hopefully in a week or two I will be heading to the JY to grab a Full size solid rear shaft, pinion flange off an 8.8, powersteering pump, hoses, carb off my cousin, etc...

EDIT: Just sent to money to the guy so got that.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the clutch in yesturday but finally got to getting pics of it.

10 inch clutch for an 84 f150

Fits on the flywheel that is made for from what I looked up 84-91 f150's. Has two sets of holes drilled for both 10 and 11 inch clutches.

All of the 6 holes line up perfectly, heres two that I am pointing too.

Intake should be in today, cant wait!!!

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thats next on my todo list after the clutch arrives, find the correct bolts for the clutch and make a list of what other hardware is going to be needed for the swap.

Can a ranger trans cross member be used with a fullsize trans? I know more or less it can with a few mods done to it plus I have a full size one, minus the sides that connect to the frame due to it was cut out of the donor, and maybe make a hybrid of the two.

The guy that is selling me the intake is going to be sending me a money request on paypal and I will be gong from there. As soon as that is done he will be shipping it out to me Monday and should be to me Tuesday. Basiclly buttoning up the last few details of buying an intake.

Hopefully in a week or two I will be heading to the JY to grab a Full size solid rear shaft, pinion flange off an 8.8, powersteering pump, hoses, carb off my cousin, etc...

EDIT: Just sent to money to the guy so got that.
The pressure plate bolts need to be grade 8 or 9, with same grade lock washers.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I never mix grades when it comes to hardware. I may have the bolts in my garage already, will check on that later, not home right now but hopefully the intake will be the reason to head home before work. Working 3rd shift sucks sometimes.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just threw the lock washer part in as most aren't aware that lock (and flat) washers come in diffferent grades too.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
At my local hardware/farm/better then walmart store, all of their hardware is color coated for different grades an whatnot. Yes even metric has its own washers and whatnot an is colored too.

Blue is grade 8 standard
Green is grade 5 standard
Nothing is grade 2 standard
red is grade 8.8 metric

I wonder if my current ones on my ranger clutch would work, not wanting to penny pinch that bad.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't want to scrimp, spend the $16-30 and get some ARP's from Summit/Jegs. Been to too many seminars on fasteners (job related) that I go straight for lock-tite of one brand or another, skip the lock washers for a critical application.
Dave

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals