• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A couple of nagging questions ....

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My 1996 Ranger with air conditioning has a couple of minor things going on that really annoy me and I would like to fix them.

1) The first is the parking brake release. When I pull out the release I can hear the pedal disengage and move but it never completely releases. I always have to pull the release lever twice. This annoys me every time I drive the truck. Its been going on for years and I'd like to fix it once and for all. Is there an adjustment or does it just need to be lubricated. If so what gets the grease/lube?

2) Recently a periodic chirp like noise started coming from behind the dashboard towards the floor on the passenger side. The noise happens every few minutes. Its not really a chirp but its chirp like. A better description is the noise cockroaches make if you're familiar with that. Anyhow, I suspect its a vacuum leak that has something to do with the blend door for the air conditioning but I figured I'd ask about it here before I started tearing into things. It only chirps at me when the air conditioning is on.

Any thoughts on either or both problems would really help me out. I've got a bunch of projects going on and these annoying but minor problems are way down the list.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, use some spray lube on Parking brake mechanism, then hold out the release handle and pump the brake pedal
If it still not coming back up all the way, go under the Ranger and look for the return spring on the equalizer, where 1 cable changes to 2 cables, outside of driver's side frame rail
Looks like this: https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ranger-forums.com-vbulletin/1000x562/lteyapj_12de62ca46c9c808e1a74e847fcc94493e082d17.jpg

Vents(defrost, panel, floor) are vacuum operated
Blend door is electric, and can be an issue on 1995 thru 2011 Rangers

Google: Ranger Blend Door actuator
LOTS of videos and how-tos on that part
But its controlled by TEMP knob on dash so unless you are moving that there should be no noise, although it could be cycling, its not a simple electric motor

The 3.0l Cam synchronizer is right next to the firewall in engine bay, and it will make a chirp noise as its wearing out
But only with engine running

Do you hear the chirp with key on engine off?

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
In addition to what RonD said; does the chirp happen with the heater-A/C blower running? The blower motor is over in that area. Could have dry or worn bushings in it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If the return string isn’t the issue, it could be that one of the cables is sticking some in the housing. You could try spraying a dry lube for cables in them, though I don’t remember there bing much room between the cable and the housing to do that.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yes, use some spray lube on Parking brake mechanism, then hold out the release handle and pump the brake pedal
If it still not coming back up all the way, go under the Ranger and look for the return spring on the equalizer, where 1 cable changes to 2 cables, outside of driver's side frame rail
Looks like this: https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ranger-forums.com-vbulletin/1000x562/lteyapj_12de62ca46c9c808e1a74e847fcc94493e082d17.jpg

Vents(defrost, panel, floor) are vacuum operated
Blend door is electric, and can be an issue on 1995 thru 2011 Rangers

Google: Ranger Blend Door actuator
LOTS of videos and how-tos on that part
But its controlled by TEMP knob on dash so unless you are moving that there should be no noise, although it could be cycling, its not a simple electric motor

The 3.0l Cam synchronizer is right next to the firewall in engine bay, and it will make a chirp noise as its wearing out
But only with engine running

Do you hear the chirp with key on engine off?
I replaced the cam synchronizer (with OEM Motorcraft) about 50K miles ago when I got the truck. I hesitated to describe the noise as a chirp because I really doubt that the synchronizer is the problem and chirping is how that failure is described. Could be but that part is pretty new. The only time I hear the chirp noise is when the AC is on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals