• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 reg cab trail rig build

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
4.56's, OPEN carrier (might put an Aussie in her), Warn 37780 hubs, c-clip eliminator (external spring), 760X joints (need to tack the caps in yet).

Running 35x12.50xR15 KM2's on MT classic II's with 3.5" backspacing.

I wheel the PISS out of this thing and am happy to say I've only broken milemarker hubs and bent up my steering multiple times.

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I like the way your bumper turned out. Is there a fairlead behind there?

Are you wanting to hit the trails this weekend? Going to Wishbone in Bowling Green Saturday and camping Saturday night and then maybe Interlake Sunday.

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ask Greg or Dustin...I rocked the TTB with extended arms and the stock 3.73's with 32" tires and a locker forever.....until the locker died...then I swapped in an EX 8.8 and welded the spiders...all while still a DD...

but, now she has been retired to just trailrig status....so I went FW and D60's...

rest is history:D:D

like Greg said...try to come down to Wishbone this weekend...I will be there Friday...

can't wait to meet ya...

l8r, John

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would go down there but that's farther than i feel comfortable driving for fear of breaking something. I might go to interlake Sunday tho. And Greg, no there isnt a failed anywhere on the bumper yet. I need to get something on there similar to the style ur truck has.

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I used a tube fairlead for a while. Just put small vertical pieces of tube on each side of the cable about 8 inches apart. On a hard pull the cable will start to make marks in the tube put it will last for a long time.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's what i wanted to do originally. I'll probably go with something like that.

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a video I took of Bryant's truck at Interlake off road park today. He did really good considering he is open open.

97TrailRigDD

August 2011 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
For some reason it didn't load the whole video.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bringing this back from the dead:

Haven't done much to this thing since my last update, just maintenance. I'm getting ready to sas swap it though. Picked up a fw dana 44 tonight and some early bronco radius arms yesterday. The axle is gonna pretty much need a complete rebuild. I plan on using a fw 8.8 in the rear. Gonna gear it with 4.88s and run at least 35s, maybe 37s. What do u guys think about air shocks in the front? A buddy is offering to sell mesome sway-a-way air shocks for $200 for the pair.

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I bought another d44 FI but this time it's been completely rebuilt already. It has 4.09 gears and a limited slip. I plan on swapping out to 4.88s and leave the l/s for now. I also got some 36" radius arms with heims, ruff stuff 1 ton gm tie rod steering kit with dom tubing, ruff stuff track bar kit, and 8.8 axle swap kit. I'll hopefully be picking up some 63" Chevy leaves and a FW 8.8 at the junkyard this weekend. I still need front coils, brakes calipers for the front, and brake lines, and I need to figure something out with the coil buckets. What's the best and most affordable route for a good coil bucket that won't make the coils bow? I'm gonna be running 35s, can anyone suggest a coil spring that flexes good and will clear 35s? I was looking at the wild horse 4th EB springs but don't know if I should get 5.5" or 4.5". Anyway here's some pics.

Laybaks402

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ive heard duff coils are good and flexy and the wild horse are good but stiff road manners (all hear say)

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good pickup. My 8" skyjacker TJ springs are great offroad but too soft on the street.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Nice build, you should hit up turkey bay on a weekend. 190-250 ppi is what your looking for. XJ coils work great, no mods. Im using rough country XJ 190 coils on a truck I'm building now...

SVT

97-cobra/ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Svt, if I use the X coils and stock coil buckets on the frame side will my coils bow out since the d44 is wider? I saw some heavy duty coil retainers for the radius arm side on James Duff that I thought said can move the radius arms spring perch inward. Does that sound right? Or is it necessary?

edit: oh and I'm about 10 mins from interlake, I live in Boonville if u know where that is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals