• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

96 Ranger 2.3L Won't Start

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The wire could be the culprit. Have you verified that you do not have a rap module on the vehivle. PLEASE ANSWER THAT QUESTION. If you have a white pink wire have you tested it for power

Rocker3829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The wire could be the culprit. Have you verified that you do not have a rap module on the vehivle. PLEASE ANSWER THAT QUESTION. If you have a white pink wire have you tested it for power
I don't know if I have a rap module on the truck or not, to be honest wtf is that? The group of wires? I also don't have a white/pink wire (appears to be a solid pink one but no white on it anywhere). I definitely need some more info on the rap module (if I have one or not, how would I know?)

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The pink wire looks like it goes to the fender relay. Look in your owners manual and you will see fuses and relays for the rap module and do a search. It appears that either that wire is bad or you have a rap module that is not closing

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
At this point if I were messing with it I would jumper the clutch switch so it's just the ignition switch, fuse 24 and the fender relay between the starter and battery. If it starts with the jumper, but not with the clutch switch plugged in the clutch switch is for sure the culprit. If it still does nothing, it sounds like your clutch switch isn't getting power from fuse 24 which could be a wire or a bad connection somewhere.

Rocker3829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was lookin at the book as well as at the wiring above the pedals in the truck and I don't think I have a rap module, but I took a pic of the area underneath so y'all could see as well and determine if I do have a rap module or not. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=40703936&l=5447dd23db&id=12723129

The pic is of the group of wires coming from near the fuse box (top of the pic I have attached) and as you follow it down towards the bottom of the picture, you approach a black box with a handle (not sure what that box is but obviously something important with all the wiring going into it). You should also see another (smaller) group of wires go to the right and down to the bottom of the picture (this is the connector for the clutch switch.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A RAP=Remote Anti-theft Personality. Module.

Rocker3829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A RAP=Remote Anti-theft Personality. Module.

Ok, I can confirm that I do not have a RAP module (the red/light blue wire goes directly from the ignition switch to the fuse box to the clutch switch, and then from there goes to the relay).

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well then obviously that wire is bad. You checked that the fuse was good right?

Rocker3829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well then obviously that wire is bad. You checked that the fuse was good right?
Not the one with the pink wire yet but I'm in the process of getting back out to the truck to test it, and the red/light blue one against just make sure my reading earlier was done right. I'll update here in a few

Rocker3829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for the late update (weather and life has gotten in the way until today to work on her) but I got everything fixed and she runs great. I put a new clutch switch on her and that did the trick, starts up fine everytime. MUCHO thanks to everyone who chimed in and helped me out (especially modelageek, pocketrocket, and Bryan22, thanks for puttin up with someone whose knowledge of these things goes up once I'm forced to fix them, appreciate it a ton)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals