• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Turbo Ranger resto

Endoverend47

November 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l turbo
Transmission
Manual
No need to test fit. The 8.8 is 3" wider than the 7.5 thats under it now. There is less than 1.5" per side clearance between the side wall and fender lip so I know it wont fit if I lower the truck any. It would fit at stock ride heigth but the tires would stick out flush with bed sides and would hit if the rear ever compressed enough.
I'm running a expo disked 8.8 with 17inch svt cobras, all i did was roll the rear fenders a bit with a bat (rolled smooth and clean) and it cleared perfectly. well until the axle bottomed out on the bump stops haha never had a rubbing issue.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Yeah Im not touching the lips of the fenders. Fresh paint and a arrow straight body...not willing to chance messing that up. My wheels have less offset than yours and I have a set of Centerline Auto drags 15x3.5 and 15x8.5 with drag radials that I need to make sure fit as well.

87xlranger

April 2010 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
This reminds me of my 1st 87 ranger Build, EXCELLENT Progress! - I wanted to put a 2.3t in my old 87, and I plan on getting one from the junkyard for my new project. Keep up the good work, I can't wait to see how this throwback looks!

Troy.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
More progress...
Motor is in for the final time. Everything looks good except I didnt cut back my heater box enough so I have to pull that out and re-cut it and my throttle linkage hits the mastercylinder so I may be lookin at converting to manual brakes as well now.

Pulled the bed off to start on rear suspension and frame. Just cleaning and painting the frame along with removing the rear shackle brackets so I can flip them to get my 2" drop. Also making a crossmember behind the axle to mount my Strange adjustable drag shocks to.Running new fuel lines and Im going to mount up my mufflers while the bed is off.

Oh yeah...and I was playin with some electrical tape to get an idea how the stripe will look..

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Moar....
2" drop is gona look killer

These will be the Before pix

Looks like it was born there!

Mocking up the radiator and even found a hose in my pile of parts that fit like it was made for it.

87xlranger

April 2010 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Please tell me that Fram Filter is for Mock-up! GREAT Progress man!

Troy.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Makes me want to go and work on my 88 supercab ranger.

Nice work

Robert

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Still working on the rear suspension. I got my new shock crossmember in but Im still waiting on my tabs to show up. Cut the shock mounts off the 7.5 so I can weld to the 8.8 once its done. Gona be nice using foxbody shocks on this so I have way more options. Im going to add another tube down the center to connect the new and the last crossmember to use as a mount for my mufflers.

I also gutted the 8.8 and found out why I got it so cheap 5 years ago.....it had no oil in it and looks to be burned up inside. Now the shop smells like burned up gear oil...yum.

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
great street build! once this thing is put back together, i can see you making truck of the month easily. keep up the good work.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Started playin with the plumbing. After I have my upper intake cut and rewelded I can rotate it a bit more to clean my power brakes and then I can finish the plumbing on that side.

Got all the door and window seals in. Not real happy with the fit in a few places but thats as good as it gets.

Got the rear frame done and the shackle flip is done so its now dropped 2". yay. I also added the other bar for mounting the mufflers to. You can kinda see in the pix how I plan to hang the exhaust by the way they layin on the floor.

my burned up 8.8

Just gona have it dipped to clean it up before i narrow it.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Good progress lately.

Finally got my pitman arm on,new front shocks and cut 1 coil off to see how it sits.I will buy real drop coils after its completely back together and I can see how it sits. Fender liners are in and with all new screws.Window trim done and I threw the Centerlines on.

Finish making/routing all my coolant hoses tonite,hooked up boost control, made my own upper and lower radiator mounts,mounted a Flexalite fan,mounted VAM and I got my new gas tank,straps and sending unit ready to install. Waiting on fuel lines to show up then I can hook up the Walbro 255 frame mount and finish the fuel system.

And I picked up a set of Mountaineer traction bars you can see above^

More to come tomorrow....

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Looks great. You know it was partly your youtube videos of the old ranger that got me into doing a build myself. I am 95% done on parts, but need a Pimp Ecu before I assemble and start the swap. Can't wait to see what this one does. What cam are you using? I remember your last one was a custom 5?? lift cam if I remember correctly. I ended up with a .505 lift modern performance cam and ported big valve head.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Looks great. You know it was partly your youtube videos of the old ranger that got me into doing a build myself. I am 95% done on parts, but need a Pimp Ecu before I assemble and start the swap. Can't wait to see what this one does. What cam are you using? I remember your last one was a custom 5?? lift cam if I remember correctly. I ended up with a .505 lift modern performance cam and ported big valve head.
Believe it or not this is the same motor from my old red 87,with a few upgrades. It has a custom Schnieder roller with .510 lift

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
What kinda exhaust are you gonna run on that? Saw some Mustang mufflers in that one pic, wondering if you were gonna use those.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals