• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 ranger Delete the second inline fuel pump

Am88rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm having an issue with fuel lines leaking and also I'm not sure what it's called looks like it could be the housing for a paper fuel filter.

I opened it up and it was empty after putting it back together I started having a problem with fuel leaking I've looked for a replacement one but can't find one. My question is can I simply remove it and hook up the fuel lines using some type of connection adapter? Second is it possible to delete the second inline fuel pump?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
That is actually a reservoir that keeps and adequate fuel supply to the high pressure pump. The early versions that housing contained a replaceable filter.

So the short answer is no... that should stay in place with the two pump system. I'm sure some have removed it... but that system was not designed that way.

I went a different route... I pulled both pumps... lines and inline canister filter of my truck and threw it in the garbage. I then added a high pressure in tank pump... inline filter and ran new lines. IMHO... that's the way the system should have been designed in the first place.

I'll look up a link to what I did and post it if you're interested in reviewing it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The fuel system mods I did start on page 14...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you need that reservoir/filter thing if you stay with the two pump system. Years ago I repaired the system on my 88 Bronco II and I was leaning towards repairing it again, but the metal tank I suspect has a leak and if I have to pull the tank, it’s getting a plastic tank for an 89 B2 and the in-tank high pressure pump for an 89 and I’ll delete all the factory stuff and replace it with -6 AN stuff. New lines and filter all the way up to the engine and be done with it. Don’t see why the same couldn’t be done to a Ranger.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Bmw went from 2 pumps inline, a lo pressure pick up in the tank and a high pressure inline, to a single high pressure in the rank in 87/88. Do the ranger with a single in tank and have less crap to have issues with.

Am88rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That is actually a reservoir that keeps and adequate fuel supply to the high pressure pump. The early versions that housing contained a replaceable filter.

So the short answer is no... that should stay in place with the two pump system. I'm sure some have removed it... but that system was not designed that way.

I went a different route... I pulled both pumps... lines and inline canister filter of my truck and threw it in the garbage. I then added a high pressure in tank pump... inline filter and ran new lines. IMHO... that's the way the system should have been designed in the first place.

I'll look up a link to what I did and post it if you're interested in reviewing it.
Sure I would appreciate that

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I've noticed that newer tanks have a space made around the pickup to hold fuel on hills etc. How does that work out with an in-tank high pressure pump and a smooth bottom tank?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I thought the Ranger tanks all had a fuel well for the fuel pickup... but maybe not?

The Bronco II tank slopes to the lowest part of the tank. I don't have enough time on it to know if it's a problem yet. I would think it would be a problem even with the factory pump... because it has no fuel well.

20240323_141246.jpg

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've noticed that newer tanks have a space made around the pickup to hold fuel on hills etc. How does that work out with an in-tank high pressure pump and a smooth bottom tank?
So the newer tanks have more of an anti-slosh pocket that the pump is in, it’s really not so much a space to hold fuel on hills as to help keep fuel from sloshing a lot when on hills. Kind of a bit of both I guess. Makes sense. My farm tractor has baffles in the tank to help keep fuel from sloshing a lot.

My F-150 has a smooth bottom tank and in tank high pressure pump. Same with the dump truck. I can’t remember if my 92 has a smooth bottom or not, but it has an in tank high pressure pump. I try not to run any of mine below 1/4 tank. That’s not an indicated 1/4, I keep track of my fuel economy usually and I keep track of my mileage since fuel gauges don’t work in all of my trucks. It’s better for the pumps because they are cooled by the fuel around them. Believe the owners manual even suggests it.

I thought the Ranger tanks all had a fuel well for the fuel pickup... but maybe not?

The Bronco II tank slopes to the lowest part of the tank. I don't have enough time on it to know if it's a problem yet. I would think it would be a problem even with the factory pump... because it has no fuel well.

View attachment 107927
I don’t know if the older Rangers had the sort of well around the pump or not. The Bronco II definitely doesn’t. I don’t suggest running it low. You really kinda want 5 gallons at minimum in the B2. The well thing on the Ranger tanks I’ve seen is a sort of spiral to provide some anti-slosh around the pump when the tank is low. It’s not really a well because it’s not set lower than the bottom of the tank. Be nice if the Bronco II tanks had something like that. Full size truck tanks too.

Elroy Cook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys not new here just not been on here and I too have the same problem with the two pump problem seriously this has been a long ongoing project with lots of problems a long the way not related too My Ranger I have a 1988 extended 4x4 i have replaced the tanks and pumps now for the fifth time and not drove very far do to other reason but this nasty fuel has made it rough but I want to delete the in frame pump I now have another new tank and a new fuel sending tank unit so before i go to the trouble of replacing them who has a successful way of doing this swap and what did you do and use to replace the in frame pump Thanks in advance

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
hey guys not new here just not been on here and I too have the same problem with the two pump problem seriously this has been a long ongoing project with lots of problems a long the way not related too My Ranger I have a 1988 extended 4x4 i have replaced the tanks and pumps now for the fifth time and not drove very far do to other reason but this nasty fuel has made it rough but I want to delete the in frame pump I now have another new tank and a new fuel sending tank unit so before i go to the trouble of replacing them who has a successful way of doing this swap and what did you do and use to replace the in frame pump Thanks in advance
Uncle Gump's post #2 in this thread contains what you should do.

Elroy Cook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Uncle Gump's post #2 in this thread contains what you should do.
Yes i saw that but couldnt find the link that he was referring too I have saw a read ways that different ones have done also would need to know what kind of pump was used in tank to provide enough pressure to eliminate the in frame one

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yes i saw that but couldnt find the link that he was referring too I have saw a read ways that different ones have done also would need to know what kind of pump was used in tank to provide enough pressure to eliminate the in frame one
The link is in post 3.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

That's the pump I used when I did it. You have to modify the sending unit a bit to make it fit but it just involves shortening a piece of tubing between the pump & sending unit itself.

Elroy Cook

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic

That's the pump I used when I did it. You have to modify the sending unit a bit to make it fit but it just involves shortening a piece of tubing between the pump & sending unit itself.
Thanks a bunch

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals