• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'88 Ranger 4x4 clunking

jeremythelee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I did some searching and I'm not sure anyone else has had the same issue. I went to use my 4 wheel drive recently and heard/felt a loud clunking on the driver side. I think I may have an issue with my wheel hub. I noticed that when turning them to free they would click into place, but when turning them to lock they did not. So is this normal? Or should I take off my wheel hubs and clean them? I do believe the front wheels are engaging when I put it in 4 wheel drive, but I could be mistaken. I'll have to check sometime this morning. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Turning the hubs to free they will click, turning to lock they will not click, that's normal. If they've not been used for a while it's possible they have stuck, and cleaning them should solve the problem. Loud clunking sounds like a u/j.

jeremythelee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Turning the hubs to free they will click, turning to lock they will not click, that's normal. If they've not been used for a while it's possible they have stuck, and cleaning them should solve the problem. Loud clunking sounds like a u/j.
appreciate it. a buddy of mine thinks that the front diff might not be geared correctly. the moron i bought it from did a lot of things to it that we didn't understand. I'm going to get it up on jacks tonight and hope it's something easy.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
good luck gear diagnosing isnt that easy. without holding the front and rear side by side. Your best bet is just to upgrade anyways, get yourself a set of 4.88's fornt and rear then your wont have to worry bout them being the same or stalling on the rocks. LOL

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
let me know how long it takes to remove and reassemble the front housing pls.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals