• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2ltr weber mod

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok I have posted before that I would post up some pics and details on how I installed my weber 32/36dgav on my truck so here goes:
first I started removing all the smog crap on the truck cause most of it was junk this is what it looked like at first.(FIRST PIC)
secondly I removed the carb then the carb spacer and egr.(SECOND PIC)
I then took the egr gasket off carefully and trace it onto a piece of aluminum I got from a friend and cut and shaped the piece to match the gasket and drilled the mounting holes to make a block off plate(this step is not necessary but I removed the egr cause the pipes going to it were damaged).(PIC THREE)
I took the throttle cable bracket off the old carb and had a friend weld it to the linkage that came with the weber. also make sure you get the orientation right on the linkage so when you bolt it back on the new carb the linkage goes on the same as it did on the original carb.(PIC FOUR)
the next step is the hard part you need to cut the tab off the spacer then bevel the wide side of the opening to allow the secondary butterfly to open this can be done with a hand grinder but I had a friend with a bridgeport cut it for me. then with the carb centered over the two holes next to the beveled end mark the new holes that need drilled and tapped on the opposite end of the spacer(I used a gasket instead of the carb to make it easier to mark.Then mark the holes and drill them and tap them it has been a while but I think I used 5/16 hardware.(PIC FIVE)
You will then need to counter sink the existing holes in the spacer on the same side as the bevel on the same end as the holes you drilled and tapped.
for hardware you need to get 2 studs in the size you tapped the holes. They can stick out the bottom a little bit but they need to be about 1/2" tall on the mounting side so they don't hit the linkage.also don't forget nuts to bolt down the carb to the spacer.(PIC SIX)
now the carb will need to have the mounting holes opened up to fit over the existing studs on the manifold. It doesn't take much and I was worried about cutting on my new carb but it won't hurt it if you only do the one end so it will line up and still seal up nicely. Also try not to do what I did and get a bunch of metal shavings inside the carb(DUH). (PIC SEVEN)
the last thing to do before mounting the carb is to remove the studs in the manifold closest to the valve cover and get some counter sink bolts in the same size threads as the studs, mine were metric and were a little difficult to find but I got my new bolts at a local hardware store.
make sure you get them long enough to go through the spacer leaving enough thread to screw into the manifold.
Time to start mounting the carb; As for gaskets you need the factory ford gasket for the original carb, that will go between the spacer and the manifold.then bolt the spacer to the manifold with the new countersunk bolts you just got. not to tight or you can break the spacer ABOUT 15INCH POUNDS.Next thread in the studs into the spacer until snug. .(PIC EIGHT)

Then put the carb onto the spacer and then bolt it down. I found it easier to start the back nut closest to the valve cover then do the rest of the nuts. remember that you have not removed the studs furthest from the valve cover so you can use the original nuts to fasten it down.
hook up the linkage and plug off all the vacuum lines except the one on the base plate cause it needs to go to the dizzy advance.
On my truck I removed all the emissions junk cause it didn't work so I am not sure how you can hook up the egr vacuum lines to make it work but I am sure it can be done.
Now as for the fuel line I cut my hard line and used a weber fuel pressure regulator part number 31800.063. DO NOT USE A CHEAP ADJUSTABLE REGULATOR THEY WILL NOT WORK!!!!!
The fuel filter that works in the stock carb fits the weber I put thread sealer on mine cause I dropped it so it leaked a little bit but it didn't till I dropped it.
I hooked the choke wire to the battery side of the alternator with a splice connector.
All that is left to do is tune it as per the directions from weber.You are on your own for that.
when done it should look like the last picture minuse the exhaust mod that I did and hopefully the oil leaks lol.(PICS NINE,TEN,AND ELEVEN)
I have never written up something like this before so I hope it works for ya and is not too confusing.
Thanks Duane

Attachments

Last edited:

John Smith

Reaction score
Pretty neat write up...

It's good to see a thorough piece done on a mod like this...So this would be a mod for replacing an 88 Aisin with a Weber for the record right?..and kudos for mentioning the need for a proper pressure reg 4 the Weber. It runs good ? Not many here run a Carb yet but I for one like the Idea of having at least one vehicle around that can run w/o a computer and it's neat to see some interest. I should have a 94' 2.3 block up and running with a Carb and Points Dizzy soon.not sure which head I'll use but economy and power are both good reasons for choice..and of course..Simple...How do you like that header?...looks pretty kewl...

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this mod and the new factory header as seen in the picture not only helped mileage but driveability.
I probably gained 10 lbs of torque on the lower side of the rpm scale and lost nothing on the upper end.
saturday I helped a friend move some concrete blocks and the bed was almost full to the top of the bed and it was heavy but I was able to climb a pretty steep hill in 4th gear and still accelerate @ 60mph. so to answer your question yes it runs good. it does take some tuning skills to get it done but if you read the directions carefully it isn't to bad.
and yes I replaced the 2 barrel aisin carb that was on the truck with a two barrel weber

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I should also mention that if you do this swap you should get a 4cylinder jet kit as well part # 701 dgv 4
also thanks for the compliment on the write up I wanted to put the pictures under the correct paragraph but I is compootr e leterat so this was a challenge for me

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Very nice~!

I'd like to see a pic of the carb top and bottom naked if you happen to have one though...just for identification purposes...in case I see one in the junk yard...or decide to go that route some day with a new carb...

BTW, that first pic brought back nightmares...lol...

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey mark was it all the wiring or the really lame splatter paint on the air cleaner.lol
I know every time I opened the hood I got a chuckle.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, the breather paint made me take a closer look...lol...but the vac lines/wires...and the old exhaust manifold...must have dropped about twenty pounds of dead weight just with that mod...

now it looks like something people go "Wow" when you pop the hood...:icon_thumby:

That's the reactionI got from many people after similar mods...

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is the only good pic I have of the top of the carb almost all the webers look the same.I found this one on craigslist. I just looked for one with the electric choke and it cost me about $150 to do this carb swap but I bought other things that made this cost more money to do than needed

Attachments

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cool, thanks~

Almost looks like you can run two fuel lines into it...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you gain anything form losing the smog pump?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh and ware did you get the carb from?

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think I gained much if any considering the smog pump bracket was broken and it wasn't hooked up it was just many of the things I took off that didn't work. if it helped it would have been from the weight savings.

And I got the carb from an ad on craigslist. I had been thinking about doing this swap for a while before I did it. I did see a few ads on craigslist before I bought this one but I chose this carb cause it was fairly new and the carb on my truck quit working. so it helped make the decision.
If you do this swap I recommend an electric choke model.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think I gained much if any considering the smog pump bracket was broken and it wasn't hooked up it was just many of the things I took off that didn't work. if it helped it would have been from the weight savings.

And I got the carb from an ad on craigslist. I had been thinking about doing this swap for a while before I did it. I did see a few ads on craigslist before I bought this one but I chose this carb cause it was fairly new and the carb on my truck quit working. so it helped make the decision.
If you do this swap I recommend an electric choke model.
i'm just looking to get more hp from my stock 87 2.0 any ldeas

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the carb change and the header helped out quite a bit. It still isn't going to win many races but you can get on the freeway a lot easier.
I got a cam for mine but I haven't had the time to even attemp putting it in yet. my friend owns delta cams. Him and his partner used to race ministocks using the 2.3 and were very successful. so they know these engines and they can direct you in the right direction for a cam that will work.
try this link
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58074

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the carb change and the header helped out quite a bit. It still isn't going to win many races but you can get on the freeway a lot easier.
I got a cam for mine but I haven't had the time to even attemp putting it in yet. my friend owns delta cams. Him and his partner used to race ministocks using the 2.3 and were very successful. so they know these engines and they can direct you in the right direction for a cam that will work.
try this link
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58074
thx for the help. someone told me on here that taking off the smog pump was illegal i only ask because my dad told me to take it off to help with stress on the motor i live in OK and theres no emissions and inspection what do i do?:icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals