• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 Ranger getting some teeth...

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I noticed a ton of 5.0 Explorers at U-Pull-It last weekend, how does their setup work with no A/C or smog pump?
Yes, you can re-configure it like that (no smog pump anyway). Even cut the bottoms off the brackets if you like.
Remember, they require the specific PS pump, Alternator, timing cover, water pump, and balancer/pulley (it's one piece).

If you get rid of the AC compressor, skip that upper idler pulley, too.

'94/'95 Mustang FEAD would allow you to use your current alt and AC pump and balancer. It uses the same timing cover as Explorer, and is almost as short. You would need the brackets, water pump, timing cover and crank pulley.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you can re-configure it like that (no smog pump anyway). Even cut the bottoms off the brackets if you like.
Remember, they require the specific PS pump, Alternator, timing cover, water pump, and balancer/pulley (it's one piece).

If you get rid of the AC compressor, skip that upper idler pulley, too.
Gaa, I don't want to change all my accessories though... I didn't look at them very close.

I dunno, I might just suck it up and stick a new pump in it...

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I got the water pump changed, got an exhaust put on it and as a whole it doesn't go too bad.

It goes like a bat until just under 3k, then it seems that cylinders just seem to take turns firing. I back out of the throttle and they come back online. If I ease into it more it doesn't want to do it as bad. Rewatched my video that came with the carb and it went with my running theory it may be a fuel delivery problem.

It has a new filter on the fuel pump (came with the pump, it screws into the inlet), and a new filter (bigger one) near the carb.

Am I overfiltered? Under fuel lined? (roughly .25" nylon from the 2.8) I have .25 barb splicers to take it from nylon to the hose barbs that the fuel pump takes.

It has been awhile, '87 roller non HO 302, Edelbrock 1403 500CFM carb, Mr. Gasket electric #12S fuel pump.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
How do you have the timing adjusted. You need to adjust for total advance around 38 degrees btdc at 3000 rpm. Advance the timing until it pings under a load above 35 mph then back off until it dont ping and adjust the idle air for the highest vacuum pressure. You need to sync the fuel delivery with the timing and ford engines like to be advanced as far as possible without pinging. Every time you change the timing you need to adjust the idle air for either highest rpm or vacuum pressure. If you have vacuum advance use manifold vacuum not ported off the carb just plug the carb ports. So advance the timing a couple degrees at a time until it pings and back of a degree at a time until it stops.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Is there a filter in the carb inlet fitting ? And where is the pump mounted ? It's been a2while since you started this, I don't recall what pump you're running. The size of the fuel line isn't likely to be an issue, it doesn't take much fuel to keep a carbed motor well supplied with fuel, even at WOT. I've run a 4.3 V6 in a boat under full load (18" ski boat) using a portable steel fuel tank with a Merc quik disconect fuel line.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is there a filter in the carb inlet fitting ? And where is the pump mounted ? It's been a2while since you started this, I don't recall what pump you're running. The size of the fuel line isn't likely to be an issue, it doesn't take much fuel to keep a carbed motor well supplied with fuel, even at WOT. I've run a 4.3 V6 in a boat under full load (18" ski boat) using a portable steel fuel tank with a Merc quik disconect fuel line.
Inside the driver side frame rail, right in front of the fuel tank, at an angle per the instructions.

No filter on carb inlet, but I have a wix that fit the fuel line right by the inlet.

Mr. Gasket #12S pump.

I might play with the timing some more, kinda wonder if the advance isn't messing with me after kimbcrwbr1's post.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
From what your saying about loss of power on the upper end If you know the float level is good I am guessing the carb is plug and play, you need to establish the total timing at 3000 rpm and then adjust the idle air engine idle at 750 rpm and max vacuum pressure then check the idle air screws are within half a turn between them. Count the turns in then back out from lightly seated. As long as you have enough fuel pressure 5-7 lbs it will give you enough volume just look at how small the input port is to the float valve. You may need to adjust the high speed jet size and the best way to do that is on a machine. Total advance is the way to go on the upper end performance the lower end will take care of itself.

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if the carb is adjusted correctly and the timing is correct. then if it still does it I would look into the fuel volume. you may have enough pressure but not enough volume. some of the smaller electric pumps can not keep the float bowls full.
also check your the float level as well. if it is not adjusted correctly when you step down and open the secondaries there might not be enough gas in the bowls to use.
have you tried upping the jets yet?that could cause a lean miss.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
if the carb is adjusted correctly and the timing is correct. then if it still does it I would look into the fuel volume. you may have enough pressure but not enough volume. some of the smaller electric pumps can not keep the float bowls full.
also check your the float level as well. if it is not adjusted correctly when you step down and open the secondaries there might not be enough gas in the bowls to use.
have you tried upping the jets yet?that could cause a lean miss.
The pump he's using has enough volume to suppy three carbs at WOT.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Inside the driver side frame rail, right in front of the fuel tank, at an angle per the instructions.

No filter on carb inlet, but I have a wix that fit the fuel line right by the inlet.

Mr. Gasket #12S pump.

I might play with the timing some more, kinda wonder if the advance isn't messing with me after kimbcrwbr1's post.
Did you install a filter inline between the tank and pump ?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you install a filter inline between the tank and pump ?
There was a little one that screws in the outlet of the pump (that came with the pump) and a I put a inline near the carb.

I haven't set the carb much yet aside from the idle, if anything it should be too big and need jetted/rodded down. In my experiance too big = bog which this doesn't do.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
There was a little one that screws in the outlet of the pump (that came with the pump) and a I put a inline near the carb.

I haven't set the carb much yet aside from the idle, if anything it should be too big and need jetted/rodded down. In my experiance too big = bog which this doesn't do.
Do you have your vacuum advance hooked up to manifold vacuum what kind of dizzy and have you advanced the timing until it pings yet.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

You need a filter between the tank and pump to protect the pump from being clogged with any trash that comes out of the tank. A 600 Edelbrock shouldn't be too big. Now however if the secondary side isn't supplying fuel, and the secondaries open, then you will get a fuel starvation problem. Don't know if that's possible with an Edelbrock though, it can happen with a Holley. I think I'd run it hard til it does, then shut it off and immediately pull the top off the carb to see if it is running out of fuel.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need a filter between the tank and pump to protect the pump from being clogged with any trash that comes out of the tank. A 600 Edelbrock shouldn't be too big. Now however if the secondary side isn't supplying fuel, and the secondaries open, then you will get a fuel starvation problem. Don't know if that's possible with an Edelbrock though, it can happen with a Holley. I think I'd run it hard til it does, then shut it off and immediately pull the top off the carb to see if it is running out of fuel.
The filter is on the pump inlet side, that is what you get when you bend over and look at it upside down. :D

Carb is a 500cfm.

I got dad to help with the timing, runs great for now. I will do some more fine tuning with the carb but it is pretty close right now.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The filter is on the pump inlet side, that is what you get when you bend over and look at it upside down. :D
Or look at it in a mirror ? :D Glad to hear y'all got it straightened out.:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals